Split Recordings

This may not be the right category, but I don’t know if the issue is Roku or Tablo caused. Not sure that it started exactly with the latest update, but pretty sure it was not a factor before hand. New one hour shows have been showing up as two recordings; one of about 40 minutes, then another (listed as same title, same episode number) of the remaining 20 minutes, but with a few minutes of drop out between them.

I have verified the condition on Roku, Tablo Android app, and Tablo web app, so seems to be a Tablo issue.

Is that happening on all your new recordings? It sounds like you are having harddrive disconnects from the tablo, which recovers and continues recording, splitting the show (which is how Tablo does record when there is an interruption for any reason).

1 Like

Blacklist, Gray’s Anatomy, others. Seems to be universal starting May 7th.

System is physically stable. Tablo is upstairs with same 2TB HDD it has had for a few months. Only one hour shows seem to have been affected. When they are, they are uniform: the split is at about 41 minutes into a 60 minute show.

Now it is even more weird. According to Roku, I have two complete 1:05 copies of yesterday’s Sixty Minutes. Both are titled the same, but the text says it aired 8:00 - 9:00 when in fact it aired 7:00 - 8:00. Watched both, and they are complete and identical. But with the Tablo Web App they are listed as two different shows, one at 7:00 and one at 8:00.

Roku 3.

I may be way off base here, but by chance do you have multiple channels from different broadcast areas that play the same shows on your guide?

Sounds like a HDD disconnect issue. Or maybe your Tablo is rebooting itself.

Is this a new HDD you are using? What’s the brand and model of it?

Nothing new. HDD is a 2TB Hitachi, been connected to Tablo about three months. Wired LAN connection. Have not watched a new OTA recorded show since posting, so I’ll have to look to see if the issue has persisted. It would seem like local hardware if I am the only one, but odd to start all on the same date.

Just checked, an the entire problem was isolated to May 7, three shows. Nothing before or after. Must be cosmic rays or a commie plot, but no trouble now.

I am experiencing the same issue. Several recordings are being split in two or three segments. Here are some examples:
. A 30-minute evening news show was divided in two segments (25 and 8 minutes respectively)
. A 60-minute show recorded last night was split in three segments (39 min, 23 sec, and 24 min respectively).
. Another one-hour show was recorded without interruptions.
I am using a 2Tb Seagate Expansion hard drive with a 4-tuner Tablo 2.2.10.
I would appreciate nay advice.

I’ve experienced this, and every time I could verify it, turned out to be the Tablo crashing, and rebooting.
Recommend you open a support ticket, cuz this is not good joojoo.

1 Like

Thanks Rad. Will do so.

1 Like

I noticed yesterday that a show from Tuesday evening was split in two. It was quite stormy on Tuesday, and the 6 o’clock news was breaking up when I was watching it (the tv is wired directly to the antenna. This makes me think that perhaps a dodgy signal might cause the split recordings.

It does indeed. Tablo will retry on a recording if the signal degrades or if the power goes out or something else goes awry resulting in two (or more) pieces of a recording.

2 Likes

a few days ago, i upgraded my hard drive to a 4TB Seagate Backup + for my 4-tuner tablo. and it so happens that about an hour later, the tablo was due to record 4 channels. in the middle of recording, i opened up one of the recordings to watch but decided a minute later to wait for the entire recording to complete. so i exited the tablo (via roku). the next day, i discovered that two of the four recordings were recorded in multiple segments. did the hard drive have anything to do with this? or the fact that all four tuners are in use while i accessed one of the recordings (still in progress)? another curious thing is that from the ios app, i see that 3.87 gb is available whereas from the roku it is saying only about 3.5 gb is available. why is that?

That’s a known bug. The Roku incorrectly calculates the disk space.

shouldn’t the tablo calculate the space and just tell all clients what the available space is? it’s bizarre that the client is doing the calculating.

@snowcat @rem736 It sounds like this is due to the different ways the computer industry uses the prefixes like kilo-, mega-, etc.

Traditionally since computers are binary and sizes are based on powers of two, a kilobyte was 1024 bytes (=2^10). A megabyte would then be 1,048,576 bytes (=1024^2). A terabyte would be 1024^4 bytes or 1,099,511,627,776 bytes. RAM is still sized according to this standard.

However, somewhere along the line, HD manufacturers switched to using powers of ten. So in HD parlance, 1 kilobyte = 1,000 bytes, 1 megabyte = 1,000,000 bytes (=1000^2) and a terabyte defined this way is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. This is more consistent with the SI system of units; it also has the benefit of making HD sizes seem larger - purely a coincidence for the HD manufacturers, I’m sure. :grinning:

Some companies still report HD space in the older “power of 1024” standard; Microsoft for example. Apple however uses the “powers of 1,000” standard that the HD industry currently uses. In iOS 3.87 TB (I think this was supposed to be TB, not GB) = 3,870,000,000,000 bytes. To find the size in TB based on “powers of 1024”, divide by 1,099,511,627,776 and you get 3.52 TB.

So it’s not that one is necessarily “wrong”; they’re just different standards. Like the old saying goes, the great thing about standards is that there’s so many to pick from!

Last night I had three shows on three different networks recorded.

Two of the three had split recordings of exactly 39 minutes and 19 minutes and both were on from 10-11PM – NOTE: This is the exact time split as mentioned by prior posts. So why would all these splits be for the exact same length of time?

The other show recorded the full hour was on from 9-10PM.

Never had this problem before.

TICKET SUBMITTED

If I am understanding correct, all 3 shows had two pieces, the first 39 minutes and the other 19 minutes? That sounds to me like the Tablo itself rebooted which would have interrupted all in progress recordings at the same time.

The times I’ve had that in the past one of the recordings is encountering enough reception issues it starts failing and unfortunately in a lot of those situations that causes the Tablo itself to reboot.