Something Fun: What It's Really Like Cutting the Cord

Everyone loves to share those GIF heavy Buzzfeed lists. 

Well, us cord cutters finally have one to call our own:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tablotv/what-its-really-like-to-cut-the-cord-on-cable-1awzn

Share this with all of your friends and let's keep the cord cutting revolution going! 

Rather than share a video wouldn’t it be a lot more fun to share a working Fire TV or Roku app?   8-}

Cord? I never knew there was a cord, I never had anything TO cut. I never bought into that Kool Aid. 

I never for a moment believed that our OTA had been taken away, that somehow to “watch TV” you needed a cord or cable coming into the house from some mysterious big brother who not only determined the channels I would watch, but what I would pay to watch them.
I still find it nearly impossible to believe that there are actually adults, real people, out there who believe that “cable” was the only way to get TV. 
Those people obviously had no life, no hobbies and had a worse attention issues than I do because geesh, Antennas were sold at Radio Shack (while they existed), WalMart, Target, Menards, Lowes, Home Depot and numerous other places, including online such as Amazon.
To be totally blind to that - the antennas, the amps, splitters, all this stuff hanging on pegs at Menards, sitting on a shelf at Wally-world. 
What did/do these people think? The antennas and masts and rolls of cable was a government hoax to whip us into submission or something? They figured the DIY antennas, masts, amps and so on were connected with Area 51 and were intended only for watching for alien invasions? 
We have people who vote who live such a limited life that they believe that in order to see TV you must pay thousands of dollars a year to some evil cable company?
Wow, just wow. It’s hard to fathom that there are people who figured that to be entertained all there was was cable, satellite and NFL, nothing else exists out there. 
What a lonely life that must be for them. Talk about secluded limited life.

@ShadowsPapa, believe it or not OTA sucks.  It sucks like Internet and cell phones suck.  That is, not everybody can get the technology (practically speaking).  With that said, I group cable and satellite together.  Perhaps you just believe cable is evil and not satellite?  If so, then sure, people in outlying areas certainly could get broadcast signals via satellite instead of cable.  This problem existed well before ATSC... it's just that the move to ATSC made the problem worse for people in fringe areas.

There's a reason why there is interest in a QAM or cable card capable device.  For many, that's the only way... or perhaps it's just simpler and "nicer looking" than having Area 51 on top of their house. :)

I used to live in such an area... and really before satellite and guess what... the only practical solution was cable.  Ok maybe you could get license and clearance to erect the world's biggest antenna and pull in one or two channels... but maybe that's too expensive and maybe just one or two channels isn't quite enough?

If you live in an urban or suburban area... sure, I think antenna can work well (realizing that I currently can't watch ABC... though with a few hundred dollars of effort I could make that work... but maybe it's not worth it??).

I don’t consider satellite an option in our area because of weather. You lose the sun, have a storm, ice, etc. you lose TV and you lose satellite Internet. Otherwise, I lump them together. When I say “cable”, I really mean cable/satellite.

Doesn’t matter as you cant’ get cable here! Rural US is lacking cable in a lot of areas. Just like OTA sucks in some areas, satellite sucks here, and cable sucks because, well, there is none! Each part of the country is different I guess. In our area, we rely on OTA, it’s never been bad, never went away, always been awesome reception even in outlying areas thanks to towers, rotors, and such. 
And we also simply can’t afford cable (remember, I mean cable/satellite!) as is the case with a lot of folks we know. They live paycheck to paycheck and don’t have 30 or 40 or more bucks a month just to watch TV - especially when OTA is cheap, easy and free around here. Remember, where you live isn’t necessarily the norm - maybe for some but not for all. Our experiences in the midwest are the opposite of yours. (and regardless of what the geography-impaired media says, Ohio is east, not midwest by any stretch! Mid = middle, west= west of “the river”.) 
We don’t have cable, can’t get cable, there is no fiber to the homes unless your home is NEWER. Parts of this is because of the existing phone and other infrastructure and tax laws. When building out NEW plants, they lay fiber. The existing equipment and cabling still has some years on the books for depreciation, etc. so isn’t going to be replaced really soon, so we live on over-subscribed copper with feedback and cross-talk on the phones so bad that even in flourishing West Des Moines, fax machines retrain down to 2400 baud!.  That’s because of the existing older infrastructure, tax laws, depreciation the cost of replacing all that equipment and the fact that parts of that area were under water for weeks back in 1993. 

OTA doesn’t suck for us, it’s all there is, all there’s ever been. Can’t afford the wasted layout of thousands of dollars a year just to watch TV even if we COULD get it.

I had satellite Internet for about 3 years, talk about sucking! Wow, that was NASTY NASTY. Heavy rain, heavy snow, ice, wind, no Internet. Use too much, they throttled you back to sub-dial-up speeds. They over-subscribed the satellites to the point that all users suffered speed issues. 
I wouldn’t use satellite if it was given to me - 

@ShadowsPapa, believe it or not OTA sucks.  It sucks like Internet and cell phones suck.  That is, not everybody can get the technology (practically speaking).  With that said, I group cable and satellite together.  Perhaps you just believe cable is evil and not satellite?  If so, then sure, people in outlying areas certainly could get broadcast signals via satellite instead of cable.  This problem existed well before ATSC… it’s just that the move to ATSC made the problem worse for people in fringe areas.

There’s a reason why there is interest in a QAM or cable card capable device.  For many, that’s the only way… or perhaps it’s just simpler and “nicer looking” than having Area 51 on top of their house. :slight_smile:

I used to live in such an area… and really before satellite and guess what… the only practical solution was cable.  Ok maybe you could get license and clearance to erect the world’s biggest antenna and pull in one or two channels… but maybe that’s too expensive and maybe just one or two channels isn’t quite enough?

If you live in an urban or suburban area… sure, I think antenna can work well (realizing that I currently can’t watch ABC… though with a few hundred dollars of effort I could make that work… but maybe it’s not worth it??).

I find I’m starting to creep a bit on my OTT apps.  I had MLB.TV and Netflix, which wasn’t too bad.  Then I decided I needed the NFL, so I got GamePass. My kids like the Anime, so I got CrunchyRoll.  I have SXM, so I figured what was the harm in getting the Web app.  There are a couple of shows on AMC that we would like, so we bought season passes through our Apple TV’s.

Not sure if I’m saving money at this point, but I am getting to watch exactly what I want to watch, when I want to watch it.  The Walking Dead from the Apple Store, 12 hours later is of a higher video quality than the Walking Dead on Cable

Crunchyroll is pretty awesome.   I love anime as well.

Right now I have subscriptions to Netflix (monthly), Amazon Prime (yearly), Crunchyroll (yearly), and Sling TV (monthly).  It still is cheaper than cable/satellite, plus I can play them all on any device that I want.

My math works like this.

Netflix = $8.53 with tax
Sling TV = 21.56 with tax

I paid the lifetime for Tablo and Plex

I had Amazon Prime just for the free 2 day shipping before they even started adding anything else and I would keep it just for the free 2 day shipping even if they eliminated everything else so I don’t count that towards my TV viewing cost.

I thought about HBO before I got Sling TV but I will not pay for both and I think we will get more use out of Sling TV.

We have tried Hulu Plus several times but for some reason we just never used it and ended up canceling it.

I think my first disappointment with cable started way way way back when my parents first got it in the early 80s … I had assumed there was no commercials (lol … how naive) … MTV came and that was great for a while … then it all started down hill from there when MTV sorta rolled over and became the spawning ground from which reality TV sprung.  I think the real disapointment kicked in when the prices started to go higher and higher and I wasn’t getting anything more out of it… digital cable just added to the vast sea of cruft that was not worth my time to watch… the real linchpin for me was when they forced people to get those dumb “tv adaptors” because they were cutting off the basic analog cable you could get on any TV and moving to a pure “encrypted” transmission on their lines… We had one of those “adaptors” set up in the kitchen and because it only had RF channel 3 out the picture was grainy and sub-par … and looked even worse on the HDTV we had out there… When they wanted to charge me for a “full box” was the final straw… my bill was already astronomical and they kept pushing those “double play / triple play / home security” packages I didn’t want in the first place.

While I still get my internet service from them (DSL is a joke here and there is no fiber) … I even went so far as to return my cable modem and get one from woot when they upped the monthly rental fee… in 4 months the cable modem will pay for itself.  While I am not 100% cord cut … I am about as whittled down as I can get.  Still feels good.

Waydago, Tablo! Let’s sing it… “Oh, Can a da…” Tablo is made in another country that starts with a “C”…in our own hemisphere!

I was shocked when I unboxed my Tablo order, turned the device around and read that label that proudly read “Made in Canada”. 

Think of it, the same folks that gave us Red Green, SCTV and more …  
Scary… 

OK, so on the good side, Canada also gave us Howie Mandell and Anne Murray - they gotta be cool folks. 

@ShadowsPapa, some have recommended black eletrical tape to cover the led… but real men will use duct tape. :slight_smile:

“Tuner 1” of my home dvr solution (mostly sports) isn’t working anymore as my neighbor has chosen to close their blinds.

However “Tuner 2” and “Tuner 3” are ok…  as long as nobody messes with the cameras… and as long as nobody sits on the sofa of the front window.

:slight_smile:

And here I was going to say cutting the cord was tougher than I had imagined when the doctor handed me the surgical scissors after Luke was born and asked if I wanted to cut the cord.

You guys give new meaning to his question of 33 years ago.

But the Canadians and Texans will always be able to beat that.  ;-)