Slowness of Tablo in general

I am a relatively new Tablo owner. I have used desktop TV recording apps such as SageTV and Beyond TV in the past so although I know they are a different beast altogether it has been a bit frustrating to me to see the lack of options in all the Tablo connectivity iterations. Having said that I am still interested in seeing what is to come as that Tablo TV is a very cool device with great potential. I just wanted to ask about some issues I have noticed which can be a bit frustrating. My Tablo is connected to my network via GB ethernet, so are my Roku 3s. I notice terrible loading times of the guide and just generally moving around the interface via Roku3. My iPad and PC seem a bit better but the guide is also extremely slow there as well. Is this something that is being worked on? Why does it take so darn long to display the guide when it has been downloaded to the Tablo already? Why does it take so long to move about the screens? With the Roku 3 preview app there is only Live TV and Recordings but why so long to navigate about? Anyone else experiencing these issues? As far a functionality of the Tablo itself all is great but it's just do darn slow to do just about anything with it interactively. Thanks in advance!

John

Which iPad do you have? The guide is super quick on mine.

I have an iPad Air 2

It’s not AS bad on iPad but still not what I’d call “speedy” for something that should be locally available.

The iPad downloads the guide and stores it locally on the iPad so I don’t know why it’s slow for you. Same with the computer via the Chrome browser.

So let me apologize about that misinformation. It’s ok on the iPad, it’s elsewhere I have the trouble, mainly on Roku 3s. It’s dreadfully slow on the Roku 3 preview so let’s focus on that.

@c0pyCatter - We’re working right now on an update to the Roku preview that will significantly speed things up.

What is performance like for you on the old Roku channel?

I am a new Tabo/Roku user so I really never used the old one, I immediately installed the preview when I got everything and removed the old one. I will re-install it though when I get home later today and let you know.

and thanks for the update TabloTV! I went all in with your 4 tuner product and a new 2GB drive so I am looking forward to the updates.

The older Tablo Channel is faster, not REAL fast but faster, quite a bit over the preview.

The beta .29 firmware speeds up the Roku Preview channel. Wait for official release.

I did notice something odd though with the older Tablo app. When switching to any channel it tunes and comes on, plays about a second, then restarts where it originally began and is fine. Like a slight stutter. Does it every single time I pick a channel.

I did notice something odd though with the older Tablo app. When switching to any channel it tunes and comes on, plays about a second, then restarts where it originally began and is fine. Like a slight stutter. Does it every single time I pick a channel.

That is a well-documented issue. The solution generally is to un-tick the “Enable fast Live TV startup” in Settings.

Thanks I’ll turn that off!