Slow Syncing on Android?

That’ll be hard since my household has a wide range of interests between all of us, so almost every channel has something we find interesting to watch. Older members of our household in particular enjoy the many archive channels we have that play back catalogs of old movies and TV shows they like. We also get most of the “major” channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, My Network, CW, ION, and FOX.

PS: It takes my laptop around 2 and a half minutes to sync in comparison.

The trick is to sync more frequently.

Even once a day doesn’t seem to reduce it much. And I’m not gonna keep opening it more often than that. I don’t watch TV on my phone that often.

I sync before leaving home, since WiFi is faster than LTE. I only have 20 active channels, so that makes it faster too. When it syncs besides what was recorded, it is also the guide and all those images that they love to give us. I wish there was a text only guide option that we could opt for per device.

Japzone:

Low tech solution. Start connection 10 minutes before you begin eating.

1 Like

I receive 100+ channels. Eliminating religious, foreign language, and shopping channels cuts it down to about 50. Of that number I whittle it down to 25 of which I probably watch only 8 or so on a regular basis.
Is it any wonder cord cutting is the rage when cable companies persist in serving up tons of garbage at ridiculous prices? The recently approved merger between TWC and Charter does not bode well for improvement.

I mainly use Android and always wondered what its doing when syncing. It takes anywhere from 2-5+ minutes to synch. Seems like a long time to me but maybe I don’t understand what its actually doing.

I sync once every few days and now plan 10 minutes before I really want to watch anything.

How many channels do you get?

I get roughly 28 channels.

Not Comcast. Charter is the new owner of Time Warner Cable. Comcast is already to big as they own NBC Universal.

Beastman:
I stand corrected. Thanks.

I think it has to do with the number of channels and the images for the guide. Also number of new recordings and the thumbnails for ff.

I would doubt the thumbnails for FF are stored locally on a mobile device. That would seem wasteful of memory. I would think those would be pulled down when the show is being initially buffered to play. If someone has oodles of spare time it would be interesting to capture the exchange with wireshark and see what is going on.

@TabloSupport when Syncing what is copied to the local device? Just the guide and it’s pictures along with the list of any new recordings or what? Are the thumbnails not downloaded until we are watching a recording?

@js98 I thing the images for the egg might sync but the thumbnails come when we click on a link to watch a recording. Likewise the recordings aren’t stored on the local device…only the name of the recording.

@TabloSupport You never answered the last question from @beastman, and I’d also like to know what the app syncs, exactly. Like him, my phone - Galaxy S7 - is plenty fast and I’m literally sitting next to my Linksys WRT1900ACS wifi router. My Tablo is connected via wire to my home network. We have 29 channels. I don’t know if that’s more or less than normal, but it would be nice to know what takes so long to sync.

I sync 35 channels and when I do a complete channel search and resync it take about 45 mins.

All the images. If the same show is on multiple times is there only one image or one for each time it is on?

Why syncing still takes upwards of 5 minutes when I log in from the Android app every couple of weeks? This feels like a version 1 issue that should’ve been fixed long ago.

I have a normal amount of shows recording (average 5 recordings per day, due to daily shows).