Single button add skipping on recorded programs

Is these feature on the Tablo-Roku app pipeline?

I mean with a press of a button skip all adds and resume episode after the add ends.

Is there any DVR that has this function? Just the gathering of the start and stop times of the breaks would be an epic endeavor and wouldn’t account for minor locality variations. @alex I don’t think you comprehend the complexity of you request. Not saying it is impossible but so complex that I don’t believe any DVR has implemented it yet. Perhaps community sharing of break times could make it easy for @TabloTV to develope.

Is there any DVR that has this function? Just the gathering of the start and stop times of the breaks would be an epic endeavor and wouldn't account for minor locality variations. @alex I don't think you comprehend the complexity of you request. Not saying it is impossible but so complex that I don't believe any DVR has implemented it yet. Perhaps community sharing of break times could make it easy for @TabloTV to develope.
commerical skipping has been around for long time and yes it would be a great feature for Tablo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_skipping

I would say it is highly unlikely to happen, at least for a long while. There is no need for this functionality, while there are a lot of needs that still have to be implemented.

Is there any DVR that has this function? Just the gathering of the start and stop times of the breaks would be an epic endeavor and wouldn't account for minor locality variations. @alex I don't think you comprehend the complexity of you request. Not saying it is impossible but so complex that I don't believe any DVR has implemented it yet. Perhaps community sharing of break times could make it easy for @TabloTV to develope.

There are lots of them out there. Hopper is one example. Playon has ad skipper too. More are more have started using it. 

@girimurthy does the Hopper or Playon intelligently skip breaks or is it a fixed duration skip ahead feature?

I would say it is highly unlikely to happen, at least for a long while. There is no need for this functionality, while there are a lot of needs that still have to be implemented.

+1       

Commerical skipping would be welcomed by many but Tablo on  regular TV is still lacking an EPG, it takes >15 seconds to just to tune to a live channel and too many other basic DVR functions.    
@girimurthy does the Hopper or Playon intelligently skip breaks or is it a fixed duration skip ahead feature?

Hopper is the best in that. When you start watching if you say hop commercials(only works for abc, cbs, fox and nbc) then you do not have to lift your finger. Every ad will be automatically skipped(not a fixed time).

Two catch with hopper
1) works on only those four channels
2) you will have to wait atleast one day before the skip takes effect. meaning if the program gets recorded today at 8 PM then you can watch with auto skip from next day.

Have not tried the playon yet. according to the website and ads looks similar to hopper.

ReplayTV used to have something called COMMERCIAL ADVANCE which automatically skipped the commercial blocks on playback without even having to press a single button (see 7ups wikipedia link) but the TV industry had a fit and threatened to sue them into oblivion which in retrospect didn’t matter as they eventually went out of business (btw I was a replaytv owner – never had a tivo)

Sorry i don’t agree with you. Most of the people that record OTA programs will like to skip commercial and that’s a real pain in all current systems. (except maybe DISH hopper that does it with some limitations). 

Agree that this could infuriate content providers but as a feature only is really THE ONE TO HAVE.

By “no need”, I mean that that the ability to skip commercials is already in your fingertips.  Trying to do it automatically is a nice feature, but it far from necessary.  

I just find it funny that there skipping forward and backward is completely different on each Tablo device (some have 10 seconds each, some have 30 sec forward and 20 sec backward, and some don’t have any skip buttons), and yet a feature like this is requested.  Let’s get the main functionality working first before asking for the moon.

+1

Agree with you that current skip forward and backward functionality is not standardize across the entire platform and that’s a need. That’s part of having an standard user interface (UI) across all supported operative systems.

I have already seeing that @TabloTV has made clear that ongoing efforts are in progress to standardize UI (at least on Roku versus the rest). But i have not hear anything back about skipping commercials with single button on recorded shows.

@TabloTV?

@Alex - We’ve looked into a few commercial skipping options but none of the ideas has panned out as of yet. Something that folks have asked for that could be implemented would be a user defined skip button. So if you want to set it at 2 minutes or 3 minutes (around the average break) you could do that if we decide to go this route.

Thank you!  @TabloTV

You’re welcome! 

@Alex - We've looked into a few commercial skipping options but none of the ideas has panned out as of yet. Something that folks have asked for that could be implemented would be a user defined skip button. So if you want to set it at 2 minutes or 3 minutes (around the average break) you could do that if we decide to go this route.

Do you have any control over the way the Roku handles this?  It’s weird.  If I use the left or right arrow buttons to skip ahead or back 10 seconds SOMETIMES the show just starts right back up again but most of the time it’s paused after the skip and I must hit Play to start it again.

@napman - Each Roku version controls this differently. We’re working on standardizing the skip experience.

@NapMan

Same happens here.

A standard 30 sec skip would be just fine using the Roku Dpad. Asking for more is not feasible.