Signal Strength View

@TabloTV

I have contacted the person that wrote SignalGH and he asked to look at the Tablo SDK to see how hard it would be to adapt that app to work on the Tablo. He said he could not find it on the Tablo website. Can you help with this?

It’s because it hasn’t been officially released! 

@TabloTV

Is is possible to get him a beta? He sounded like he was willing to write an app for the Tablo to help us Tablo users tune the position of our antenna’s
@TabloTV

Is is possible to get him a beta? He sounded like he was willing to write an app for the Tablo to help us Tablo users tune the position of our antenna's

Seriously … if you guys are short handed this app developer has the prerequisite “chops” to make such an app.

You can tell him to send a note to info@tablotv.com and we’ll pass it along to the powers that be. That being said, I know the team really wants to wait until we have a documented API before opening up to more third-party apps.

Thanks. I will let him know.

Signal strength and signal quality would be very useful.  I used this to tune my antenna when I used Jriver.  When viewing live TV, you could access signal strength and quality at the bottom of the screen.

1 Like

Really need a way to tell real-ish time signal strength, this is a MUST have feature.

1 Like

Spent a few hours rescanning until the tablo started acting up and refusing to rescan until i did a reset. It would have been nice to just rescan a set of channels or one specific channel as a workaround. Would have been a big time saver/help.

I’m just getting started with Tablo. It’s unfortunate that it’s missing such a basic feature as an RSL display. As it is, making any antenna adjustments is almost impossible since I have to await a full rescan to get any feedback. I see this feature request has been in the oven for over a year.

2 Likes

Is this idea dead? Because I could use this functionality.

1 Like

Just here to chime in, I would love this.

2 Likes

I would like to see also a Signal Analysis and logs. Something like the one offered by Hauppage: their signal analysis has signal/noise, error counts, specific synch parameters. After all, I understand the data is already there since your tech support can acccess remotely to troubleshoot. Such feature could reduce the support calls as thos info can help tune the direction of the antenna.

1 Like

The recent FCC repack is causing me some headaches that a feature such as this would help me out a lot, if it existed.

Basically, after the repack, one of the stations that I care about has been moved from the UHF band to VHF-High band. The signal level is pretty low now, and is on the “hairy edge” of what my antenna/Tablo can pick up. The only information that I have is that it’s a red dot in Tablo. I have an indoor, rabbit ears-style antenna, and the antenna placement seems to matter for how strong the signal strength is.

This results in me moving the antenna around a bunch and then retuning the channel in the iOS app. It’d be great if there was a “signal strength explorer” screen where I could indicate what channel I want to tune to, and then view signal strength (preferably RSSI), or other SNR metrics (number of decoded/expected frames over the air interface, etc). This would be tremendously helpful to me as I move the indoor antenna around. The idea is that streaming out the channel strength info at ~1 second intervals is more informative than attempting to tune to the channel and having to wait 5-10 seconds for the “unable to tune to channel/Low reception” error message over and over.

As a software developer who has to deal with users with a variety of skill levels, I appreciate the ease of use that Tablo provides, but for a user with an expert level use case like this, it’d be nice if I could put the Tablo UI into “Engineering mode”, kind of like how you can with most cell phones.

This seems like something that an engineer would have built into one of the apps for testing new hardware. It doesn’t have to be polished, and it could even have some “Easter Egg” way to get into this mode. Really the only folks with the expertise to take action based on the information presented are expert users/engineers.

Please put this on your roadmap/increase priority:)

1 Like

I agree. Tablo should offer a method for users to view signal strenght and quality. The dot view just doesn’t cut it, and unless I’m mistaken, those indications are only good for when you did the scan. OTA reception varies throughout the day for a lot of reasons.

I borrowed an HDhomerun Connect 4 tuner from a colleague and with an iphone app from GH Software, I was impressed with the real time graphical depiction of signal strength. The sample below was collected in about a 10 minute timespan. I have used this tool while on my roof orienting my antenna and I found it helpful. There’s another screen that I didn’t upload which gives some indication of quality.

The HDHomerun Connect, uses the same tuner chips as the Tablo quad. The GH Software app simply makes use of the API SiliconDust has published. If the Tablo folks aren’t interested in developing such a tool, perhaps an outside developer would with access to a Tablo API.

One other thing I found interesting while I had the HDHomerun in my possesion. I was able to view live TV on a Roku Ultra without an Internet connection. I have a need for this capability, and will probably purchase one.

3 Likes

the FCC repack caused me an issue on one of my channels. Having the ability to view real time signal strength would be a great enhancement.

1 Like