Signal gradually deteriorating

I’ve been using the 4-tuner TABLO for 2 months now, with an attic antenna and Winegard amp. I’m 35 miles from the broadcast cluster; all stations within a few miles of each other. Initial reception was very good, including the weakest signal which is VHF. Gradually the signal’s deteriorated, such that the VHF channel is not available and all other stations have virtually continuous pixelation and sound dropouts.
What could be my problem? HELP!

People, businesses, construction, mobile networks, etc…

With that said, you can try a rescan (you might lose channels, but if they aren’t working anyhow, maybe not a big deal).
Why? There are other things that an cause small amounts of signal drift.

Lots of things can effect signal strength from new appliances in the home to a change in local cell towers to the weather. And I don’t just mean rain either, the sun, the heat, the season, all effect how the signal bounces.

When I had my antennas in my attic I had to adjust one twice a year as the avg temps go up / down and local trees add or drop leaves. It just become standard practice for the last 3 years. I just moved them outside though so hoping that is a thing of the past.

1 Like

*[quote=“Daniel454, post:3, topic:14976, full:true”]
Lots of things can effect signal strength from new appliances in the home to a change in local cell towers to the weather. And I don’t just mean rain either, the sun, the heat, the season, all effect how the signal bounces.

When I had my antennas in my attic I had to adjust one twice a year as the avg temps go up / down and local trees add or drop leaves. It just become standard practice for the last 3 years. I just moved them outside though so hoping that is a thing of the past.
[/quote]

Agreed. Have you tried reorienting your antenna?

Try viewing without the amp in circuit. Also amp power supplies can weaken over time and cause reception issues. Hard to diagnose since the power supply will often show normal open-circuit voltage but may weaken under load. Problems with Tablos have often been traced to bad power supplies.

I have reoriented my antennas a couple of times; seemed to provide marginal help for a couple of days, and that’s it.

I just rescanned, and it seems to have helped reception of the UHF stations (no pixelation for the initial 5 minutes, anyway). The VHF station signal is too weak; I had been able to receive it a month ago. Right on the edge…
I’ll write in a couple of weeks to see if the improvement is temporary, or lasts a few weeks anyway.

I had been powering the amp from the TABLO USB port; switched to an external power supply with no help.

It’s probably due to the season:
DTV reception is much worse with summer/hot/humid/leaves than with winter/cold/dry/no-leaves.

Same thing has happened to me with all ~10 ATSC DTV tuners I’ve used since 2001, with attic YAGI at ~50 miles with low elevation. So I must retain comcast TV service to ensure reception of all OTA NFL games, etc, as well as to enable the increased-throughput “blast” internet. $77/month, “internet plus HBO”.

Given you are 35 miles from the towers, moving your antenna outside my provide some help.