Signal drops (pixelisation)

Hi,

Got my Tablo 2 tuner today. Great interface! Having some issues with the dropping/cutting out signal. It happens on most channels, and honestly it looks like a poor OTA signal. But… When I plug the antenna directly on the TV, it works fine. It also works fine with a hauppage tuner (on PC).

My signal has been fine for the last year, so I’m a little confused as to why the Tablo is having a hard time with it.

Thanks!

The splitter in the dual tuner is a 4 way splitter that is amplified. So that could be causing the signal degradation.

Pixelation is generally poor OTA signal. How long is your cable run to your Tablo? Any other splitters in line?

Here’s my setup: the antenna is located in the attic and is plugged into a cm-7777 amp. The wiring goes then from the amp to the basememt (50 ft) in a distribution box. Lasty, the wire goes from the box to the tablo (25 feet).

This setup has been near perfect for the last year, so I was surprised with the signal drops.

I wasn’t aware that the tablo was amplified. I wonder if this is my issue… I added a splitter and the signal improved. I added yet another one downstairs and the problem disapeared.

So now, my strong channels are great, but my weaker ones are cutting off :frowning:

Would it be worth it to remove the cm-7777 and retest the signal (and possibly adjust the antenna placement)?

I also am getting pixelation and dropped frames on a channel with perfect reception (all green dots) and clear skies…another channel with perfect signal recorded at the same time with no pixelation. Very frustrating.

@Sektor Can you try taking your distribution amp out of the equation and retesting? Please don’t just unplug it, but try completely bypassing it if you can. Sounds like you might have signal overload.

If that does work for you, but let’s say you need the distribution amp for other tv’s/devices in your home then I would recommend splitting the cable just before your distribution amp, but after the preamp power supply.

@getcashmoney without knowing your exact setup and how far you are from transmitters it’s hard to diagnose. It could be multipath interference in which case I would recommend moving your antenna to a different location if possible. Changing direction slightly could help as well. If you haven’t done so already, go to www.tvfool.com or www.antennaweb.org to find the best direction to aim your antenna. The 5 green dots unfortunately doesn’t always mean you’ll have a flawless signal.

@kyleR, thanks for the advice, I appreciate the response. I know where the transmitters are, and I haven’t had issues with transmission or pixelation on this channel until today. Perhaps I will try moving the antenna again and see if it helps.

Good advice :slight_smile:  Things are pretty good now, the split after the preamp worked great!

Awesome! I’m glad I was able to help you out!

The splitter in the dual tuner is a 4 way splitter that is amplified. So that could be causing the signal degradation.

Pixelation is generally poor OTA signal. How long is your cable run to your Tablo? Any other splitters in line?

Wait… the splitter in a ‘dual’ tuner is a 4 way?  Sorry if this sounds dumb, but shouldn’t it be a 2 way on a dual and a 4 way on the quad?