Shows recorded yesterday without Thumbnails

Just found out from the ‘boss’ that we’ve had multiple shows without thumbnails and of course without commercial skip that were recorded the day before watching. Just sat down to watch Young Sheldon and noticed the issue.

Outside of that video quality is perfect, shows are recording on schedule and no reboots, buffering, etc.

Any ideas? If someone tells me to reboot I’m going to have a meltdown :slight_smile:

I have that happen a bit too often for my liking, as well. I watch the show, and it seems perfect to me.

Which, I understand maybe the encoder didn’t like something in a fraction of a second in some commercial I didn’t watch. But what I don’t really understand is why the Tablo software throws the baby out with the bathwater, instead of just filling in any thumbnail it can’t generate with a default picture, and then carry on.

I have had similar issues with thumbnails. But I don’t use commercial skip, so it’s not a big deal for me. I found comm skip to be pretty wonky on its own, then you add in these issues and it’s easier just to manually skip ahead (at least that’s my take on it).

It may or may not be relevant to your situation, but making the thumbnails requires that a tuner be available when the recording finishes. If you’ve got another show set to start recording right then, you might have run out of tuners.

Meltdown: if you reboot the Tablo, it should create thumbnails for any recording that doesn’t currently have them. Again, subject to availability of tuners. (Not sure why this is a meltdown situation. Rebooting is fairly quick and painless, provided of course that you aren’t interrupting a recording currently in progress.)

I have a Quad, Looking at the shows recorded only 3 shows are recorded at any one time. Also if it doesn’t have a tuner does it just get stupid and not try once it has a tuner available? I really think they need some updates to the firmware.

Ohh and I have to reboot my $1400 iPhone about twice a week. All that said I don’t expect to ever have to reboot a DVR or a Microwave or a Refrigerator or a TV, etc.

or your car, wait:
https://www.hcs.harvard.edu/pnw/microsoftjoke.htm
a somewhat old joke but still pretty good.

This one came true… was GM first to do it? lol

“10. You’d have to press the “Start” button to turn the engine off.”