Several issues

I’m on a wired gigabit network.  In fact one my roku 3’s is plugged into the same hub as the tablo and I still get the occasional buffering! What’s up with that?

No 5.1 surround sound?!  This really should have been there at launch.

Might be an antenna issue but i’m getting more pixelation and dropouts on the tablo than I had on another else.  Granted I am coming from a 2 tuner Tivo to a 4 tuner Tablo so perhaps splitting the signal that much more is degrading it.  If that’s the case I will have to return the tablo.  It’s rendering several channels unwatchable.
Signal strength according to those green dots in the channel scan menu says i’m at max on those channels.

@archer75 I’m sorry I didn’t get to this sooner. Are you still experiencing the problems above?

If you are, can you send me the details on your setup (Tablo MAC, hard drive type, etc) to me in a ticket?

I am no longer having buffering issues.  At least the little bit I watched today.  Would the hard drive make a difference in reception type issues?  I do get some pixelation still.  Some freeze frames but the audio still plays uninterrupted.  These only last a second or two and aren’t too often.

I’m using an old WD 7500AAK External 1.06 (750 GB)  
It’s just for testing and if things worked out my plan was to get a 2tb drive to use.

Is there an ETA on when the table will get 5.1 support?

Edit- testing some more and now i’m getting more chop and audio out of sync issues.

@archer75 Drives can create some pixelation if they’re corrupt, but we haven’t seen that in a long time. Try removing the drive and testing live TV - do you get any pixelation with it detached?

I finally had some time to mess with it.  I was getting quite a bit of video pausing and buffering tonight.  I unplugged the hard drive and all is well.  I still need to give it some more time to make sure that was the issue.

Do you have any favorites for a 2tb drive for this?

@archer75 Up until recently, we were recommending the Seagate Backup Plus series, but it seems like there’s something going on there, and we’re investigating.

The WD Elements line looks like a reliable drive.

Also, you know most of the major vendors are not going to change the “name” even when major changes are happening to internal revisions.  So it’s possible for Seagate Ultra-Blah to not be the same as Seagate Ultra-Blah.  In fact, they could be radically different.  So… having the most detailed part number is important… but even then it could be a matter of firmware, and so it could still be different.

Linux folks like myself know the histories of companies like WD (in particular) and Linux USB compatibility… so we tend to avoid them (I am specifically talking about their USB ext drives).  Since many of the major players are acquiring others, you have to take that into account as well.  Sometimes it will mean a “great device” will become a “not so great device” just because underneath the “great device” has now been moved to the arena of some acquired company that still doesn’t have its act together (and from what I’ve seen, may never have their act together).

Whatever Tablo can do to better abstract the storage device, the better.

Do you have any favorites for a 2tb drive for this?

Syba SY-ENC35026 USB 3.0 Hard Disk Docking Station + Seagate ST2000VM003 Pipeline HD 2 TB

I ended up getting the WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBU6Y0020BBK-NESN).  I plugged it in and started the format but ended up getting an error that the drive was unavailable.  Unplugged it and plugged it back in and started another format and it finished in about 30 minutes.  

I haven’t had any sort of buffering or pixelation issues.  In fact all 4 tuners are getting a rock solid reception whereas my 2 tuner tivo never had 100% reliable reception.

I’ve had two issue recording a show there I ended up with 2 recordings of it.  One 8 minutes and the other was the entire show. Almost like it rebooted itself and continued recording except the 2nd recording was the entire show.
Other than that it’s been solid.
The 2nd issue the tablo did reboot itself and I have 2 recordings of the show. The beginning and where it picked back up.

Any of the features I want added have been brought up in the feature request section.  I’d rate them from most wanted as 5.1 surround sound, FF scan on roku similar to netflix, faster more reliable roku app and android app so I can watch on my phone instead of just the web app.

I have had the 4-Tuner Tablo with the WD Elements 2TB drive since Saturday and this drive appears to be functioning well.  Setup time was extended due to the formatting but I didn’t mind.  Only issue I’ve had (with buffering) was when I initially started off on my “G” wireless net (AT&T provided).  Dug out the Netgear “N” router I had and hung it off the AT&T router and I haven’t seen a buffer issue since.

@fanningp71

With the N router, is your Tablo connected wirelessly? Or just the other streaming devices?

@fanningp71 Glad to hear you’re up and running :slight_smile:

@theuser86 in both router scenarios the Tablo was/is directly connected to the router.  I have three Roku3’s that connect via wireless to the Netgear “N” router (same as the Tablo is directly connected to now).  And I have been testing Tablo Connect today here at work on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and it seems to work rather well.

I suppose for testing purposes I could try out having the Tablo connect to the Netgear wirelessly but since it’s right next to it it’s easier to use the wire.

@fanningp71

I only ask because of the 'possible' decreased speeds and increased latency when streaming over the WiFi "twice" - basically wirelessly from Tablo to router and then wirelessly from router to Roku. I'd leave the Tablo hard wired - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

@fanningp71

I only ask because of the 'possible' decreased speeds and increased latency when streaming over the WiFi "twice" - basically wirelessly from Tablo to router and then wirelessly from router to Roku. I'd leave the Tablo hard wired - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeah, as I said earlier…under a “G” scenario (directly connected to the AT&T U-Verse router), I was experiencing some difficulty…but strangely only during live streaming and oddly during football games.  In the middle of the game is when I swapped out to the “N” router and I didn’t have an issue after that.