Second Tablo at second site?

It’s possible, but one hurdle i may not be able to overcome (until i’m physically onsite at my parents’ place) is that they have my old router and it’s configured to use the same LAN segment (192.168.0.XXX) that i currently have at my place. I will still probably try to setup a local VPN server on my Dad’s desktop just to see what happens, but i’m not optimistic that this will work. Hamachi would present the same problem i would think? Thanks for your suggestion, by the way.

BTW I’m interested in this very issue because I have a friend in Boston with a Tablo who has proposed something similar to you and your dad’s situation. My friend and I want to exchange streams when there is a football game either one is interested in that is not broadcast in one of our areas. Sort of like doing an NFL Network without DirecTV.

Indeed, football is the Holy Grail here. I’m a Redskins fan in central IL and my 'rents are in DC. While the Tablo, as it’s currently capable in my home, is probably good enough for me to give DirecTV the finger, it would be absolutely fabulous to go to the next level and use it in this manner (for out-of-area local sports). For me, that would really be the killer app for this device.

Alas.

Sounds trivial. Also likely illegal. Just saying I can name “the proxy everyone’s Tablo” song in just a few notes…

Can you imagine the clubs that would be set up to exchange streams across the country :smiley:

If you want to access both your local Tablo and dad’s Tablo without having to pair the remote Tablo you can run a VPN server at your dad’s on a router running DD-WRT firmware. Then run a VPN client on a router at your place that connects to the VPN server. Most routers have built in VPN clients these days.

Connect the local Tablo to the router running the VPN client. Connect the remote Tablo to the router running the VPN server. The VPN client will allow devices connected to the local router to appear as they are on the same network as the remote Tablo.

Roku, Android and iOS devices will see both Tablos as “local” Tablos. There are individuals here that use two Tablos locally just fine.

1 Like

Yes, i know now this is possible but unfortunately i’m stuck with the hardware at the remote site. The router he’s running is a TrendNET TEW-633GR that i’m fairly certain won’t take DD-WRT. I have a Sonicwall TZ210 that i know could run this scenario but that doesn’t really help me out since that’s installed locally. In any case, the point i’ve been making after all this is that the official @TabloTV responses appear to be inaccurate. If i knew before that the only way to accomplish what i’d like to accomplish is by implementing what you describe, i wouldn’t have pulled the trigger at all – b/c of the work i’d first need to do on the remote side. And the remote side, in this case, is 1,000 miles away so impracticality comes into play here.

You can buy a cheap TP-Link TL-WR841N for $15 that can run DD-WRT.

Hardware changes at the remote site are out of the question, at least until the next time I find myself back in the area. But a possible light bulb just went off: would PLEX solve this quandary for me? I haven’t used it in conjunction with Tablo but if what i’m reading is correct, i should be able to install on the remote desktop and then login on any PLEX-connected device of my own and watch the remote site’s channels…is this right? If so, not a great solution but i’d at least not feel like i just pissed away $240.

[And i’d still be shaking my head on why @TabloTV can’t natively accomplish this rather than going thru these insane hoops. Any time you all want to respond to the people in this thread, we’re waiting…]

Yes in theory that would work.

But the Tablo channel for Plex is developed by a 3rd party not Nuvyyo. Thus it is not officially supported by Tablo. As well it hasn’t been updated in a while by the developer. Thus, it may or may not work with the new DB and API since the 2.2.2 update.

Isn’t the goal here live streaming of football games? I’m not familiar enough with Plex, and the way that software posted here works, but they may not solve the “live” TV issue.

If live TV isn’t the issue, maybe something like Plex or the Tablo Ripper that is still supported could rip to a cloud storage folder on the parent’s computer? If you had the folder also installed on a home PC, it should show up there at home pretty quickly. From there, use Plex or another way to get it to the TV.

According to this, the Tablo channel for PLEX is indeed able to stream live TV:

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-plus-plex-equals-awesome/

It was able to long ago - I haven’t used it in ages. Many have reported issues with it recently and the developer has been busy with other things so I’m not sure it still works.

Give it a try. You can try it locally on your Tablo with a computer before attempting to set it up at your dad’s.

I did indeed try it out and it appears to work surprisingly well. What’s strange is that it seems to work even better than the native Tablo app/website on my local LAN. Here’s a report of what works and what doesn’t:

Works:

• remote Tablo on PLEX for Roku
  • remote Tablo on PLEX for iOS devices

Doesn’t work:

• PLEX live TV via web browser; i get the dreaded “Cannot load M3U8: crossdomain access denied” error and none of the solutions that supposedly fix this problem seem to work for me
  • PLEX app on my Samsung TV; i think the problem here is that the app doesn’t allow for the time needed to connect the stream from the remote Tablo, and i see no way of tweaking that option. So after about 30 seconds it just times out and says it’s not available to stream.

I also don’t get access to the full guide via the PLEX channel; it only shows what’s currently on. This isn’t a dealbreaker for me, but it means that for some who might want to try recording using Tablo for PLEX, i don’t think that’s possible. And of course one major headache here is that i have to use additional hardware just to do what i was previously told was possible with Tablo hardware alone (yes, i’m still quite bitter about this).

Anyway this will likely get the job done as a poor man’s method of watching remote, local channels so i can deal. One thing that i just remembered, in response to people who were thinking about the legal ramifications of streaming out-of-area sports, is that Slingbox has been enabling this for years. I don’t think there’s anything inherently illegal about getting Tablo to do all this natively since they’re not making any money on it (after the initial startup costs), unlike what Aereo was doing. Just a thought.

Had Aereo for a month and found their streaming of live sports events jittery. Would be interested to hear your experience of streaming Redskins games in the future (whoops I meant Washington).