Router recommendations - opinions wanted

I currently have an Apple Time Capsule router/backup drive “all-in-one.” It’s probably 5-6 years old, and I was thinking about upgrading. Do ya’ll have an recommendations? I like the stats and reviews on the Nighthawk AC1900. Although I don’t have any AC devices at this point, it will allow me to “grow” into the next 5-6 years.

I’ve got a T2 Tablo, 3 rokus, 2 iphones & and ipad running on this network. It runs Tablo, SlingTV & Amazon fairly well now. It’s not a ton, but I would like peak performance in the $125-$200 range.

What say ye?

1 Like

I have had the Nighthawk R7000 ever since I bought my Tablo over a year ago, and it has worked great for me. I have a 2 story house with the router in the middle of my upstairs, and it covers the house easily.

1 Like

I’ve used the Linksys WRT1900AC as an upgrade to the WRT54G (2004) since last October. It has worked great and has been way more stable than my old router. I can only think of 1 time I had to reboot due to connection issues. And the remote login ability from an app or browser is great.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-Anywhere-WRT1900AC/dp/B00K91DB7Y/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1436978601&sr=8-1&keywords=wrt1900ac

1 Like

If you use the Time Capsule I would recommend the latest Apple Time Capsule. All Apple network products are very fast! They are designed for streaming multi video signals to multiple devices.

If you don’t use the Time Capsule then I would recommend Apple Airport Base Station - which is what I use.

If you want something else, then look for products that mention multiple video streaming device support.

10 years ago WiFi devices could barely handle a few megabits to more than 2 devices at once. Now they specify 150 Megabits to 2 devices, or 300 or more. The better wireless devices tend to have Gigabit wired jacks on them. The REALLY good ones have “managed” or “supervised” wired jacks.

1 Like

Get a dual band router that has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Run your Roku 3 on the 5 GHz band. I highly recommend the TP-Link TL-WDR3600 for the performance and price. I have it and it runs great. I have recommended this router to others on the forums and they have had good results / experiences with it.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE

4 Likes

I’ve had the R7000 since shortly after it was released. I had quite a few stability issues the first couple of months I had it. I ended up flashing DD-WRT onto it…and it’s been good since. Hopefully the stock firmware has been improved since then.

More reading for you:

2 Likes

I have the nighthawk paired with one of these in every room:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-AC-Universal-Connector-WUMC710/dp/B0090DX8O8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437062317&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+ac+bridge&pebp=1437062319877&perid=05VX65HQQHBMHPDX7V5M

Not all wireless components support full AC speeds (my PS3, for example), and so I use the bridges to connect those devices which think that a/b/g/n is fast. AC is the best there is (well, not the best, but definitely good enough for watching 2-4 HDTV streams at once).