Roku Revamp & Amazon Fire TV/Android TV Sneak Previews

Been asked http://jettsoft.com/TabloRequests.htm

Sorting of shows

Tablo should allow me to sort the shows by name/channel/date aired/date recorded/etc on all screens available

This should be in all Apps; Roku/iOS/Android/Web/etc    

+1

@TabloTV

Love the new Fire TV interface - is it going to include Tablo Connect?

must be an echo in here.   great minds think alike 

Of course! Tablo previously said in a thread it likely would because it was based off the web app which already does Tablo Connect.

My Fire TV Stick would love Tablo Connect.

A MUST at launch. Please include the 30 sec FF and 20 sec RW. A lot of us have been waiting for better directional pad skipping other than the 10 sec skip and rewind we have now.

@TabloTV -   What ever became of your inquiry into channel logos?    Seems like something that should have been introduced long ago

Fewf… 

I’ll try to make sure I get everyone’s question answered. If I miss one, I apologize in advance!

On BIFS/trick play/FW&REW frames - This is something that needs to be enabled at the Tablo level. It’s something we’re working on right now and hopefully I’ll have more information to share about it soon including whether it will actually work on Roku. The team is hopeful for this though.

Amazon Fire TV/Android TV should work just like the tablet apps in that it won’t require a constant external internet connection to work. 

To Chris’ mention of the speed… Neither of the videos were edited aside from adding the title cards and subtitles. (Oh, and the jazzy music.) In fact, the screens were clicked through slower than actually required so you all had a chance to actually see what was on the screen. 

Tablo Connect should work with both Amazon Fire TV & Android TV. I don’t believe we’ve done thorough testing on this yet, but there’s no reason why it shouldn’t function.

On 30 second skip & more sort options… Just because we’re doing a big refresh (or launching new apps in the case of Fire & Android TV) doesn’t mean we’re done with improvements on these or any of our interfaces. We know that 30 second skip is a MAJOR pain point on Roku. (In fact, every time I talk with the dev team about Roku I remind them of this for you all…) And that additional sort options are another feature high on your lists. 

Once we get through this last sprint to getting these apps live, the team will be sitting down to discuss what the priorities are for the coming months. I’d like to see both of those on that priority list and will advocate for you guys.

(Ditto with your channel logos @7up… The images exist but putting them into the various UIs will require some time that so far has been devoted to other things deemed a higher priority.) 

Thanks for all of the positive comments and your continued patience as we crank through new features. The team would love to be able to deliver on everyone’s wish list tomorrow, but there’s only so many hours in the day. 

@TabloTV…unfortunately for you…we all keep playing with our Talbos over the weekend - so your Monday mornings must get a bit crazy!

I certainly want to say thank you for your continued positive dialogue with this community.  Everyone wants everything yesterday (including myself), but your steady communication goes a long way to keeping me calm and hopeful that we will see significant improvements over time.
So again thank you, and yes please continue to beat the drum for these key improvements with your developer team!

I hate to ask the obvious question but there doesn’t seem to any time frame given for release of these new apps other than by the end of 1st quarter.  Can you guys be a little more specific as to when even a beta will be released?    Its understandable that the Roku app may take longer given that it required a complete rewrite but will you guys at least consider releasing the Fire TV app sooner or are you going to delay its release?    

I hate to ask the obvious question but there doesn't seem to any time frame given for release of these new apps other than by the end of 1st quarter.  Can you guys be a little more specific as to when even a beta will be released?    Its understandable that the Roku app may take longer given that it required a complete rewrite but will you guys at least consider releasing the Fire TV app sooner or are you going to delay its release?    

@7up I’m sure TabloTV will respond, but they have previously stated that they will release the Fire TV / Android update before the Roku update - so doesn’t sound like they plan to hold it back until all three are ready.

Well! I guess I’m done waiting for Apple TV to either have an official Tablo app and/or for Apple to allow adding 3rd party apps. Amazon Fire TV is looking really good right now with this new coming soon Tablo App and Plex!

Awesome work guys! Cant wait for it!

Well! I guess I'm done waiting for Apple TV to either have an official Tablo app and/or for Apple to allow adding 3rd party apps. Amazon Fire TV is looking really good right now with this new coming soon Tablo App and Plex!

Awesome work guys! Cant wait for it!

@ted Fire TV is on sale for $84 right now…

@ChrisFix - You're right... Today my 'morning routine' is looking like it will last through the entire workday. From day of the Tablo Community I've been SHOCKED about how much you guys like to chat about our product but I'm also VERY happy that we've managed to make something that you all seem to care so much about. 

The added benefit is that we get to talk to you guys all day, every day about how you're using the product and what can make it more awesome. Companies who ignore their customers are doomed to fail and we like to avoid that like the plague. The more we listen the better we get. 

@7up - AmazonFire TV & Android TV will indeed be ready before Roku. The release dates will depend heavily on QA testing and then beta testing so any kind of 'guestimate' would be just that. 

As we get further down the road I'll keep you all posted on progress. 

Until then, I've gotta break out this oldie but goodie from back in the pre-order days....

Oh and @ted - We literally tweeted at Apple’s CEO last time someone asked about Tablo on Apple TV. It’s really up to them, but they don’t seem as excited as us about it.

Meanwhile Amazon has been MUCH more receptive to working together. It may be time to make the switch. 
1 Like

@ChrisFix : I know!!! I did not realize this is a new sale…ordering very soon.

@TabloTV - Not goign to go into a rant but AppleTV seriously is the Windows from the early 2000’s now http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/when-did-apple-become-the-boring-one/

From that video demo - the way Tablo is running on the FireTV - wow! Silky smooth. 

It also appears like Tablo running on FireTV is very intuitive and easy to use. 
I dislike having to explain to my house guests how to pick up the iPad, and aiplay Tablo OR Plex movies to my AppleTV. 
SO, now it will be explaining to house guests - “We use Amazon Fire TV. Plex & Netflix for movies, Tablo for LIVE TV, scheduling recordings, and Recorded TV.” 
The End!

I am doing my best to …“Keep calm and wait” Haha

@ted - Yes, people just intuitively ‘get’ Tablo when you explain that once installed it becomes the ‘live & recorded TV’ app just like Netflix is the ‘app’ for streaming content. It is super smooth and easy-to-use and will have everything including settings in the app. 

It deserves a W.A.F. (Wife Approval Factor) 10 out of 10 for sure. My wife has not complained about the Tablo iOS app once.

So in the Android/Fire TV app video, why on earth is ‘Ellen Degenerates’ video dated at Sept. 2003!!! Did you have your Tablo in 2003!!! :slight_smile: Just kidding, but seriously I’m excited about the app!!!

Also can you tell I’m not a fan of Ellen Degenerate

And this will support the Fire TV STICK and not just the $80-$100 Fire TV box itself?

@pngwolffman - Probably a rerun ;) 

@shadowspapa - Yep, it will also support the stick. 

So like the web apps… No way to see what has recorded recently?  Is it just me or is that not how almost everyone uses a dvr?  I want to know what recorded this evening while we were putting the kids to sleep, not have to remember oh its X show and Y show.  This may win us back, been having to use media center, the WAF is just not there for me sadly :frowning:

1 Like
So like the web apps... No way to see what has recorded recently?  Is it just me or is that not how almost everyone uses a dvr?  I want to know what recorded this evening while we were putting the kids to sleep, not have to remember oh its X show and Y show.  This may win us back, been having to use media center, the WAF is just not there for me sadly :(

@footlongc Completely agree that ‘recent recordings’ is the key filter they need to add asap.  The current Roku app actually does support this in case you don’t know/use Roku, but looks like the HTML apps for Fire TV and Android won’t (at least initially) and the new Roku app won’t.  Not sure if everyone uses their DVR this way, but I certainly do (and agree with you that probably most people do as well).