Roku Revamp & Amazon Fire TV/Android TV Sneak Previews

Happy Friday everyone! 

Today’s blog post is a preview of what you can expect from the revamped Roku interface plus the new Android TV/Amazon Fire TV apps that we announced at CES.

http://bit.ly/1yNr5Js

We can’t wait to get these out. Stay tuned for availability updates! 

PS - You’ll also see that we now have a forum category for Fire TV & Android TV posts!

From the blog it’s unclear to me if the revamped Roku channel will have FF/RW preview images like Netflix and Amazon have. Can you please clarify?

Looks ready for beta to me :stuck_out_tongue:

@TabloTV, looks good and can’t wait to use it but please make sure the new FireTV app does NOT need a live internet connection to access the Tablo on the LAN; otherwise, it won’t be as flexible as the current Android native app

I asked this on Twitter, but I thought I’d share @TabloTV’s response here. The time-to-start-playing looks right up there with the Tivo experience which has long been the DVR gold standard for responsiveness. I can’t wait to try it out!

New @AmazonFireTV interface looks great! Were the videos edited at all, or is the buffering actually that fast? (Impressive!)
The only thing I added were the title cards and subtitles. No other edits so yes, it is that fast!

From the blog it's unclear to me if the revamped Roku channel will have FF/RW preview images like Netflix and Amazon have. Can you please clarify?

My understanding is that it is the Roku itself which provides the support for this trick play mode (know as BIF).  Last I saw in the Roku SDK docs, BIF support was not available for HLS playback.

So unless the Tablo devs have concocted some serious wizardry behind the scenes, we should start lobbying Roku to get this feature implemented.

Edit: clarified terminology

Also to clarify:  It’s the Tablo which would need to prepare the BIF archive for recorded content, but the Roku must support use of the archive, which it doesn’t presently do for HLS.

@Pundit Given what you’re saying how does Netflix and Amazon make this work on Rokus? I believe this is fully in the hands of Tablo to make this happen.

Uh, AFAIK, BIF is ok for h264 on Roku.  Just not for HLS.  So… should be possible, maybe even on the fly.

@alexbunk I clarified my posts as the terminology was incorrect.  I don’t believe that Netflix & Amazon use HLS as the streaming protocol on Roku.  Hence the support for BIF trick play.

"Note that currently, BIF files cannot be used with HLS. This is an area we plan to address in a future release."

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Encoding+Guide

@cjcox yeah, I got my hs crossed :slight_smile:

oh… but you’re probably talking of pulling HLS (the .ts files) straight from the Tablo.  So maybe this won’t work. 

I guess just a terminology thing.  The better term is HLS… and not h264 in this case.

Will Tablo connect work with new Fire TV app?

Looks like there is no sorting/filters for Recordings in either the Roku or FireTV apps.  

Tablo TV - PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, prioritize sorting capability for Recordings.  Tiles work great with touch screens, but is really a lot less useful or efficient for d-pad navigation.
At a minimum, provide a sort by newest to oldest.
Thanks for listening!

Sorting options for recordings either by date, alphabetical, etc need to be provided.   Currently its   8-} 

Sorting options for recordings either by date, alphabetical, etc need to be provided.   Currently its   8-} 

Looks like Alphabetical is the default and only option for Recordings (based on the video)…

Really need some date based sort (like the current Roku app) at a minimum IMHO.

Been asked http://jettsoft.com/TabloRequests.htm

Sorting of shows<o:p></o:p>

Tablo should allow me to sort the shows by name/channel/date aired/date recorded/etc on all screens available<o:p></o:p>

This should be in all Apps; Roku/iOS/Android/Web/etc    

@TabloTV

Love the new Fire TV interface - is it going to include Tablo Connect?

@TabloTV

Love the new Fire TV interface - is it going to include Tablo Connect?

must be an echo in here.   great minds think alike