Roku rebooting

For a year people have asked Tablo to change its coding techniques, change its QA procedures, manage its development better, etc. None of this is going to happen nor will Tablo disappear tomorrow as a result of not heeding these suggestions and threats. Most of this is related to the Roku. The easiest and quickest solution is to change for another device rather than change the corporation otherwise the frustrations will continue ad infinitum.

1 Like

Just experienced first reboot watching Tablo live tv since the last Roku update. I had inadvertently used the button that loops back a set amount of time and figured Iā€™d try using it a little more to see what it does. Not sure Roku intended it to be a reboot button but thatā€™s what it didā€¦after it unfroze. Think Iā€™ll be sure to avoid using that one and fingers crossed it doesnā€™t crop up again.

Iā€™ve had the same issue a few times. Just trying to go either forward or back in a show. Once the Roku reboots it seems fine for a while, but it is a little annoying.

The suggestion to buy something other than a Roku isnā€™t really acceptable. I purposely bought 3 things to test. One of them was a Roku 3. After testing for a month I stuck with the Roku 3 and ordered a second one for our other TV and returned the other devices. The Roku had the better interface, best app choices, and has been around longer. Itā€™s a seemingly solid unit.

The suggestion that something in the Tablo app needs to change is more reasonable since none of the other apps Iā€™m running have caused the Roku to reboot.

On a side note, Iā€™m a little perturbed that the ā€œSettingsā€ option was removed from the Tablo app for Roku. It was nice to be able to get to it there instead of having to pull out my computer or tablet and connect through a browser to do it. Being a new cord cutter is cumbersome enough without having to pull up yet another interface to do something.

1 Like

@ksum itā€™s funny you mention that cause I went through a similar process as you when I got my Tablo.

I decided on the device that worked instead of the device that had the better interface, I went with ATV 3rd gen and returned my Roku.

To Tablo defense and as I said a few months back when I was trying to find what was wrong with Roku, I donā€™t think the issue is really on their end. Roku seems like an unpolished products, and their support seems to not care and seems pretty bad in general.

Now I have to wait another 4 months for an app but Airplay works and is reliable.

You might have been able to make this argument a month ago, until ROKU came out with an update to fix a multitude of issues, and instantly most of the complaining on this forum about LPW and reboots went away. Based on what people have reported about their own setups before and after the update (nothing else changed in the setup), I think Roku is the issue. I had tons of issues with Roku when they were my primary streamer, itā€™s just not very polished at all. I had constant reboots within the Tablo app and in other apps.

However, Roku has a few apps other streaming boxes donā€™t have, so I can see why you chose them initially. Trust me, the Tablo experience is much better on the other devices like Android TV and Fire TV, and itā€™s not because Tablo isnā€™t trying.

Fair enough. Iā€™ve only been at this for about 2 months. Iā€™ve also had issues with Hulu and HBO Now streaming great for a few hours and then they start buffering every 30 seconds. Since itā€™s more than one app, and itā€™s not my 25mbit internet connection, itā€™s likely the Rokuā€¦

Since Iā€™m committed to the Roku at this point Iā€™ll just have to wait for another update from them that will hopefully straighten at least that part out.

Oh, but they will.
Just wait for it.
YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, Sling TV, Twitch ā€¦ all cause my Rokus to reboot from time to time.
The Roku Tablo app is currently the most stable Roku app I have.
Netflix used to be very solid, but since the latest Roku OS update, itā€™s flakey, and causes reboots.

@jayeffgee Iā€™m just one of those that refuses to buy anything Apple. Everything Iā€™ve ever owned Apple worked ok but was limited. I didnā€™t like the dumbed down interface and who makes something battery driven where you canā€™t replace the freakinā€™ battery? Greedy little ______, thatā€™s who. :smiley:

I did keep the Fire Stick that I was testing. It was only $40 so wasnā€™t a big deal. Maybe Iā€™ll play around with that some more. Downside is the stick doesnā€™t seem to have the horsepower that I bet the standalone FireTV would. Get what you pay for I guessā€¦

@Radojevic Maybe. It hasnā€™t happened yet though. Buffering is the current pain in theā€¦ which from what Iā€™m seeing is also the Rokuā€™s issueā€¦ Not sure if thereā€™s another device out there that has all the channels I watch thoughā€¦

Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, History, SlingTV, Tablo, Plex.

If you are willing to give up History (or is that on Sling?) Android TV with the Nexus Player and Shield TV has all the other channels. You would have to sacrifice a little but you would also get a ton of improvements in return. Just another option.

Edit: As @Andrroid mentioned, History is indeed on Sling TV.

History and H2 are both on sling

At this point I couldnā€™t buy any more equipment without my wife shooting me with my own gun. Sheā€™s unhappy enough that Iā€™ve got 2 Roku, 1 Tablo w/1TB USB HD, OTA antenna, 1 three-way HDMI splitter for the gaming setup and 2 Harmony Touch remotes. Iā€™m lucky Iā€™m not dead alreadyā€¦

A suggestion I saw for the buffering issue was to change DNS servers. Since Tablo seems to ā€œphone homeā€ for everything, that might help with the Tablo too. Iā€™ll test it this evening and post back tonight or in the morning.

1 Like

I just got a Roku device but my Tim zone is not listed, please what can I do. Because I need all the channels show properly. My location is Ashburn Virginia

Were you able to get this sorted? Keep in mind you should be able to manually change your Rokuā€™s time zone in the Settings screen.