Roku rebooting

xxx ccc xx cc

Got mine today too. No difference in the UI that I can see. Anxious to see if any of the issues are any better. The Tablo Preview app is actually a bit slower. Iā€™m now at 37 seconds to load recordings up from 32 seconds on the 6.2 SW.

Roku v7 firmware showed up (finally) yesterday and I was able to give it a workout with Tablo today. My conclusions based on todayā€™s use:

A bit slower to load recordings

More LPWs than prior version, but still tolerable

FFReboots not improved.

A disappointing outcome after all this time, and unquestionably an inferior viewing situation compared to my first 5 months of Tablo use (Nov 2014ā€“March 2015). So many updates since then with Roku with no apparent fixes and my only significant relief has been from shortening an Ethernet cable and switching Tablo to 2.2.6. with the Preview app rather than the Official Tablo app.

The Rokus are working in a tolerable fashion with Tablo but marginally, and the net effect of new v7 Roku firmware is to make things slightly worse.

I have not tried Roku on any other channel so cannot offer an opinion, but no prior complaints with them on v6 firmware and hope such is still the case.

Now very much looking forward to Tablo 2.2.7.

Larry

Also got Firmware 7.0 last night on the Roku. Canā€™t say if the reboot issue is better since theyā€™ve mysteriously disappeared again last week. However, with my Tablo still on 2.2.2 I got some LPW issues while watching two show last night. Which I had never seen before.

Just another data point.

xxx ccc xx cc

7 just came in for me as well. No reboots watching at least 3 shows, did have one strange thing where I got the LPW and the show backtracked about 15 seconds and restarted.

Got roku 7.0.9021 upgrade on a roku 3 4200. Had infrequent reboots. Never had a loading problem message while the recording was playing. Got one now.

Roku 3 updated to 7.0.9021, not connected message gone and no reboots (Tablo and other apps) for 24 hours. Unfortunately, now have the LPW issue. Hopefully Tablo folks get this resolved soon.

I posted this in another thread, but Iā€™ll toss it out there for what itā€™s worth.

I have a Roku 4 running the latest OS release and Tablo firmware 2.2.6. Iā€™ve dealt with the ā€œLoading Please Waitā€ messages and it has really been making me regret my Roku purchase. I have Tablo and Roku connected via ethernet. Iā€™ve switched the Roku to wireless. No better. No worse.

Iā€™m recording at 1080p/8Mbps. I hasnā€™t seemed like switching to 720p makes much of a difference based on what Iā€™ve read here.

My Workaround:

Maybe

In the Roku settings, I switched the display type from 1080p to 720p. This morning I watched a part of a recording that historically gives me fits. It was fine over wireless. I switched back to wired. Still fine. I asked my wife to watch TV this afternoon on her break and she was able to watch her show without a blip. Itā€™s a workaround that so far is working for me.

I have two Roku 3s still on v6.2 build 3672 and just started using 2.2.7 beta #2 and things are working great now. Hoping this v7.0 update thatā€™s coming doesnā€™t ruin this good run.

More data from me ā€“ Roku at 7, latest Tablo SW/FW, tonight multiple times per show, LPW and then the show backtracks ~20 seconds. Incredibly annoying.

I tried 720p display as DaveG did, with no help.

Is it me, or does it seem like people have just grown tired of complaining? Three days since the last post, maybe another thread has started on this.

Tonight, no reboots of Roku, but lots of LPWs. Every show I watched would play for the 1st 30 seconds or so, get an LPW and restart 10 seconds earlier. After this, when FF through commercials, I had multiple occurrences where the FF previews just stopped keeping up with my clicking, got real slow and control went away for 30 seconds to 1 min plus. Got to the point I rebooted the Tablo, which maybe helped maybe didnā€™t.

If there is a 2.2.7 beta, I would be happy to sign up. in the current state, it is very difficult to use, unless I just want to sit and watch the commercials.

Just one manā€™s opinion here but I am way past frustrated, and my playback on Roku is pretty much as you describe it.

The good news is a beautiful user interface and mostly excellent navigation up until playback begins, and then, the grief begins. Clearly some new Tablo code at work handling fast forward, rewind, most likely also direction right and direction left. Fewer reboots and more weirdness, particularly when the buffer(s) begin to fill. Some spectacular new combinations of freezing, blank screens, simultaneous displaying of both thumbnail / timeline cursor while continuing to play audio. All sorts of very explicit evidence of synchronization errors between Roku and Tablo way beyond LPW or reboots.

My next step is to research Nexus as a player. Wish my 4 Samsung HDTVs had more than 1 HDMI input so I could keep Roku for Livestream and other channels I need.

Larry

Yep, those symptoms are exactly the same as mine. I have had blank screens for long periods, and thumbnail/timeline with audio playing.

To Tablo: Again as a previous longtime SageTV user, your UI is very pretty, but I would suspect the majority of the people here would appreciate much simpler folder/text views as an option. But my caveat would be to go that direction only if it sped things up.

Iā€™ve seen this described before, but it bears mentioning again. The typical experience lately for me:

ā€“Select the Tablo app on Roku
ā€“Initial screen comes up with the left side menu very quickly
ā€“Wait 10-25 seconds for the recordings side to populate
ā€“Select the show, pop into the show screen and get to the show episode pretty quickly
ā€“Press watch or play on the remote and wait 10-30 seconds for retrieving to fill and start the show.
ā€“And then all the LPWs and other effects as mentioned previously start happening.

It is generally a good 1-2 minutes from the time I decide I want to watch a show to being able to actually start watching it. I have gotten used to that, but it was at most 10 seconds on Sage.

There is no doubt as Larry has stated very effectively and the CEO has mentioned, something of a race or other condition got into 2.2.6. I too, am an engineer doing video recording systems for military apps. I only say that to state that you have experienced people here who are your core users giving Tablo excellent feedback from an engineering perspective and as a group are effectively your beta testers. I do love the idea of Tablo, esp. being separate from my computer with it just sitting there 24 hours a day recording video.

I look forward to improvements reasonably quickly, because the current state is barely tolerable. Thanks.

Does Sage do MP4 translation? My Hauppauge card on the PC is also immediate in showing MPEG2 video but doesnā€™t communicate with any other devices requiring a different protocol. However the Roku Media Player starts displaying video from servers super fast AFTER an MPEG has been already converted to MP4 (and the MP4 conversion takes anywhere from several minutes to an hour depending on the quality requested by tools such as Handbrake).

I am pretty sure that Sage did mpeg2 with no translation, the file sizes for recorded video were huge, like 5GB for an hour show. But it worked!

So the question for Rokus, is can the Tablo do the MP4 translation any quicker? Also forego the 15 second buffering at the beginning so that users can only rewind AFTER a minute or so of viewing. The first may be irrelevant if the second is done. Who needs a 15 second buffer starting at the first frame anyway? The first 30 seconds of most shows are insignificant anyways.

I just did a quick look at the HD processor/transcoder in this Tablo and am pretty amazed at all it does and in real-time. Considering the juggling act added to it supporting so many other devices, itā€™s little wonder there are snags. Only hope itā€™s even possible to find the right pathway through all of this overhead it must keep balanced.

-Rodger

http://www.vixs.com/index-ee.php/products/features/xcode-5100-series

Well, this shows how much I know ā€“ very little apparently. If the video needs to be converted on the fly by Tablo to support Rokuā€™s format, what about a background process that is always converting shows that have been recorded? I donā€™t know if I am typical, but shows that are recorded are generally not watched for many hours to days after, so there would be plenty of time for most shows to be resaved in mp4 format on the Tablo drive and it sounds like that would probably solve most issues we are seeing?

I donā€™t know if that is a huge undertaking and/or a band aid solution, just something that popped into my head as I do recall Sage had many options, one of which was to convert to mp4 after recording. In Sageā€™s case I think that was mainly driven by trying to save hard drive space.

And that is precisely how I had been using the Roku Media Player for the past two years (pre-Tablo). Record shows as MPEGs on my PC, process them as MP4s through Handbrake, then place them on the server for Roku Media Player to show them. All the conversion\ translation had been done offline before viewing. Then the viewing experience is super fast. Roku Media Player never croaked once (of course Handbrake is fantastic for MP4 conversion with so many professional options for video customizing).