Roku rebooting

:wink:

I experienced a reboot while watching live TV tonight, something Iā€™ve also seen on other Roku channels such as Netflix. Normally, Iā€™ll force a reboot of the Roku before watching live TV, but it was too close to the start of my show so I didnā€™t. Forcing the reboot before I start watching seems to eliminate the reboot while watching issue. Note that I was watching the show tonight in real time, and hadnā€™t touched the remote during the showā€¦ so no fast forwards, pauses or rewinds involved. Whether this is a Roku issue, or a Roku Tablo channel issue, I canā€™t say for sure. But it may very well be a Roku issue as Iā€™ve seen the behavior on other channels.

I too have seen the Roku reboot occasionally on other channels but very rarely. Same is true for other stream players I use on the Internet, AppleTV and Samsung SmartTV and was true on my Seagate HD Theater+ units no longer connected.

Streams sent over the Internet have some error correction ability but uncorrectable errors remain and players are not bullet-proof so freezes and reboots happen.

Since your specifc case is watching Live Tablo TV, yet another reboot opportunity is created since LiveTV is often filled with packet errors, even less corrected than pre-encoded Netflix or other non-Live content.

My two cents, I use Roku almost exclusively for Tablo and Plex. I do not recall an instance where Plex/Roku has ever locked up and caused Roku to reboot. Just stating what Iā€™ve experienced, not judging anything. It is probably 25% Plex use, 75% Tablo, so Tablo certainly has more chances to fail, and also with Plex, it is usually straight movie watching, so never any need to FF.

+1

And even more interesting is that the very same recordings made by Tablo play flawlessly without any FFReboots on the Roku using the Plex player yet crash the Roku using the Tablo player.

RE, are you saying you are playing Tablo recordings in Plex with the Plex Tablo app, or you are ripping Tablo files off Tablo with something like Tablo Ripper and then playing the resulting mpeg file?

1 Like

I use the (superb) Tablo Ripper to move the Tablo recordings from Tablo to my Windows desktop and then either play them using Plex or I can also serve them from the PC via DLNA to my DLNA-compliant Samsung TVs.

The playback on the Roku with Plex or on the TV built-in player is the same, with no LPW or loading buffering delays and absolutely no Roku reboots when rapidly scrolling / scrubbing the time line with FF, rewind, Play in any sequence.

Same files played by Tablo player with same (6) Rokus will do FFReboots and occasionally LPWs.

Same network, same Rokus, same filesā€¦the only thing changing is the Tablo versus Plex

xxx ccc xx cc

1 Like

Youā€™re right. Perhaps Tablo needs to re-encode its transcoded recordings so they will play properly on Tablo. LOL

Quick question for you guys having the rebooting problems on Roku, particularly those of you seeing rebooting in other applications besides Tablo - How many channels (apps) do you have loaded on your Roku?

Some people in the Roku community report squirrely behavior as the number of channels (apps) increases. The speculation is that the device starts to have memory issues as you load it up. Iā€™ve seen some evidence of this on my machine, but not to the point of rebooting.

I have 35 channels on my Rokus (two Roku3s, two Roku2s). As far as memory issues are concerned, I also have a micro SD card inserted into each Roku3 for the channel data (which is 6% filled). The SD card is recommended for channel app overflow. I have experienced freezing and rebooting on my Acorn channel on average once every three weeks for the past two years. Once a month the Smithsonian channel locks up on 1080p videos and I have to reboot the Roku myself. I also see the ā€œLoading Please Waitā€ more frequently on the shopping channels such as HSN and QVC (perhaps once a day). From time to time HSN will not load at all for minutes and a Roku reboot solves that problem. (I expect the heavy load on the shopping channel servers is responsible for this since they are serving 80 million customers).

This is why this type of behavior or Roku performance doesnā€™t surprise me regarding the Tabloā€™s ā€œrelationshipā€ with Rokuā€¦ I never regarded the Roku as a stable device though I like that little hockey puck. I finally attached a switch to it so my wife could flick it on and off since I didnā€™t like her pulling out the power cable to reset it.

My first Roku - the Roku XDS - froze or rebooted once a day and finally I had to ditch it as eventually newer, high resolution channels just would not play on it. However I did like the Roku XDS because it had component out and I could record from that using the Hauppauge HD PVR device.

I currently have 61 channels on mine, about half of what I had originally. I keep adding and deleting channels though, so that number does fluctuate. My Roku models are all streaming sticks. I have 4 of them, tho one is the MHL model that came integrated with my JVC TV.

xxx ccc xx cc

Mr. Philsoft, that particular clause quoted above is insidiously inflammatory!

On this thread earlier this year, the recommendation was made to remove apps/channels and insert a microSD card, with the intention of increasing available memory on the Roku. Someone reported an improvement in reboots when the steps were taken.

I had added many channels to my Rokus, mostly to explore whether I could get fast-forward reboots to occur on other channels, and my Rokus were loaded with many (perhaps 50) channels.

Removing the channels and adding the SD cards never really helped, and my current eight or 10 channels on the Roku should allow Tablo a generous amount of memory.

The Roku has its issues for sure, and doing a factory reset, for whatever reason, does seem to temporarily make an improvement.

xxx ccc xx cc

Yes, I have seen reboots on Hulu and also Netflix as well. And only once on Tablo as well.

Phil,

While I donā€™t disagree that other apps sometimes reboot when using the FF and RW keys, I will say this does not happen often.

You suggest that it is because we use the FF and RW more frequently in Tablo, but I have to say that this is just not the case. I use Playon, one of the most FLAWED recording DVR type apps ever written. In fact IMHO, a total PIECE OF CRAP! Yet, it almost NEVER reboots when I use FF and RW.

Further I use these keys much more frequently in Playon, as there are no thumbnails in Playon, and like early Tablo I must guess where the commercial breaks end.

This suggests that although Roku does share the blame, Tablo is a major contributor to the problem.

xxx ccc xx cc

1 Like

xxx ccc xx cc

1 Like