Roku rebooting

I also received 2.2.6 recently and my 6 Roku 3’s still freeze and then reboot. The enormous delay between fast forward and play did help but the waiting time is horrendous. Supposedly this issue is a Roku bug and fixed by Rev 7 Roku firmware which I anxiously await, hoping the Rokus again return to the way they originally worked for me from Oct 2014 until April 2015 when the s***storm hit.

Glad to hear some good news on 2.2.6. for your Roku. So weird how inconsistent all these bugs seem to be.

I dearly wish Tablo made a set-top player devoted to purely Tablo playback that was rock solid for $50 or so. The current variety of players and user issues would be comicaal were it not for how many cord cutters are being inconvenienced and badly impacted every time they watch Tablo to say nothing of the time wasted

I had one reboot on the release candidate of the Roku 7.0 beta, but have not had a repeat. I also have not had the release of 7.0 come down to my Roku yet.

The delays in coming back from FF occur for me. They are fairly random and I would say are about 30 seconds when they occur. Also still see the real long delay for the “Recordings” grid to populate.

Waiting time after Fast Forward has diminished and rebooting seems less frequent. The delay in play after fast forward on the Roku (and only the Roku) is, IMHO, very deliberately programmed in 2.2.6. to see if rebooting would be eliminated or reduced.

I have, for 7 months, observed a correlation between this specifict delay and the frequency of rebooting. Glad to see some proactive debugging here.

1 Like

I’ve been hitting this problem for some time, with some updates making it happen less/more often, but it hasn’t gone away. With current roku/tablo releases I crash an average of 3 times when I ff through commercials in a one hour show.

The problem is definitely related to command lag between processing the ff/rw/ok button pushes and the roku device. It’s easier to trigger with an IR remote than the roku bluetooth one, but with either remote you can mash your way to crashing. I spent about 10 minutes trying on netflix and wasn’t able to crash. I crash much less often if I do a slow and methodical ff through the show.

@TabloTV, if roku needs more logs etc, I’m happy to attach to the devel console on the roku.

@Chris_Mason, are you on the Roku 7.x firmware yet? I still have not had a reboot on either one of my Rokus since being upgraded to that firmware.

My Roku’s click on my pic, do not reboot. I even tried ff on the Roku 3. NO reboot or exiting. Just works. Everything on 5 GHZ WiFi .

Roku seems to be taking its time in rolling out 7.x firmware - haven’t received it on any of my three Roku 3’s…
Has anyone here received the Roku 7 firmware update (other than beta users)?

I haven’t either on my 4200, still waiting.

Only on my Roku 4. I even tried talking to them to see if there is some secret screen to force it to 7, since I had 7 on one device. That is the LEAST that Roku could do for those who purchase a Roku 4. My Roku 3 is still 6 whatever waiting.

Rebooting on FF with the NBA channel, so not just isolated to Tablo channel.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90394

According to what I’ve read, the rollout to 7x will continue into early November.

Posted to Open Message From TabloCEO thread also

At risk of being flamed, I wanted to very briefly offer you my credentials and my suggestions, not to seek praise or any thanks, but merely to clarify my intentions here. I have no stake in Tablo other than as a user and as a retired engineer and manager who can bring some insights to a problem with hopes of solving it. Such has been mny career of 50+ years.

I also want to establish WHY I think Tablo is at fault, and HOW I think that Tablo can take steps to improve things. I have sold consulting services for thousands of dollars per day, but offer this input with no expectations of any payback other than a truly working Tablo.

In the way of background, I bring 2 degrees in electrical and computer engineering, a Masters in Business Administration, 3 FCC Commercial Broadcasting Licenses including First Class, and 5 amateur ham licenses up to the highest class dating back to the 1950s. I have worked in broadcast engineering, built and put a televsion station on the air, and performed and managed many dozens of software and hardware projects, first as an engineer, and later as a project manager. I eventually managed several hundred engineers and programmers delivering several million lines of code, retiring as a Division Vice President of a Fortune 100 aerospace company most of you have heard of. I have taught at the local university (student population 34,000) and enjoy particularly expertise in systems engineering and RF engineering. To this day my hobbies include electronics design, programming, and especially video, and I have about $55K of current video, editing, 4K UHD, servers, projection, ham, and electronics instrumentation including oscilliscopes, signal generators, etc. to keep me occupied in retirement and educate my grandchildren.

I believe Tablo is responsible here for two basic reasons.

First and foremost, there are now over 2500+ Roku channel apps for the same number of Roku channels, and literally 13 million or more Roku users. The problems we have been seeing on the Tablo DO NOT, and I repeat again, DO NOT show up with any significance on other channels. If you would take the time to look at the Internet and especially the Roku developer forums, the appearance of any topics related to fast forward reboots particularly, are extremely rare. I have seen a total of 3 channels each with one complaint.

The temptation to affiliate this issue as being a Roku problem is patently obvious, since the Roku box, afterall, is the thing which crashes.

The RIGHT question to ask would be, however, why don’t 2497 other channels crash the Roku? And why aren’t Netflix, HBO, and other extremely large consumer populations complaining about their Roku crashes? There are many, many millions of users who are satisfied.

The answer is that those Roku channel app developers who screw up create crashing apps. Those who write code correctly have apps which run without FFReboots.

The second reason is even more basic than the first. If Roku truly has the bug which causes these crashes, isn’t there still an obligation for Tablo to understand how to circumvent this with recoding to the revised update which avoids this crash? Clearly (2497) other channels have figured it out. Should Tablo sit back as they did for over 5 months saying, we are waiting for Roku to fix this? Absolutely not !!! This is terrible, non customer focused head in the sand. It disrespects the investments and risks all of us were willing to take to try an untested product like Tablo. It shows an utter lack of taking some leadership in making this problem disappear.

The two reasons above are not the only reasons I believe Tablo is responsible.

Since the day I plugged in my new Tablo a year ago up until just a few minutes ago, the list of recordings on my Tablo and my iPhone have never agreed. The connections have never been solid remotely. The Roku returns to the Home desktop when I hit the Tablo button some of the time, starting Tablo app but then quitting. I could go on and on. The current Roku code is badly flawed and shows it in many ways.

The number of threads in this forum with issues very clearly shows a software development project in trouble. More bugs are being created than being fixed.

And finally, I have to really wonder why the offical Tablo channel app for the Roku has been untouched since February 2015. Are we saying that it is finished and working properly? Hardly! It did not work properly in February 2015 and it does not work properly now. Some of my earlier complaints and observationws go back to bugs discovered a year ago, still unfixed, unacknowledged,and most annoying in total. The Preview channel solves none of them,

Finally, I feel that Tablo has done a very poor job of communicating. As anyone in management or especially in publuic relations will tell you, the worst thing to do in any crisis or problem is to stay silent. I personally have been astonished at the 5 month denial, followed by the 2 month offer to send crash reports to Roku follwed by the fairly recent acknowledgement of issues with a nebulous claim this problem is being worked.

Eight months is far too long to be passive.

I suggest that:

Tablo postpones / stops all new feature work on the Roku to focus exclusively on getting the current version fixed.

Tablo hires an independent software verification and validation company to do code walk-throughs, validation of designs, verification of code compliance, and define software quality assurance standards.

Tablo hires a Software Quality Assurance Manager reporting directly to the VP of Engineering or CEO with full responsibility for software testing and delivered software quality.

For the above, staffing should be provided which is ‘egoless’, a term used to ensure that a person does not get to review or test code which they have had any prior involvement in. Needless to say, those with very strong credentials in Brightscript and recent Roku channel app development should be sought out and hired.

I appreciate that Roku is but one of several supported players, but it is, by a huge margin, the largest present plus potential customer base, and is clearly a very weak area for Tablo currently.

A status report should be developed and distributed to all parties, on a periodic basis, with completion time and manpower tracking. An abridged version of this repoprt should be made available online to interested users to indicate work in progress and status.

Optionally, an employee incentive program which rewards bug discovery and bug elimination should be established and administered through the Software Quality Assurance Manager office / budget.

Further considerations:

Diagnostic code visible to the user, the Tablo support group, or both to better instrument what is actually going on. The current Tablo offers absolutely no visibility into its working paramaters and failure modes.

A more open architecture allowing the wealth of expertise in the user base to complement the Tablo team, rather than wasting enormous time discussing mostly irrelevant topics like cooling/thermal, router and network confounding problems, RF / EMI, etc.

Perhaps a dedicated Tablo player at a relatively low price which allows HDMI output and remote control, putting the entire end-to-emd Tablo code base under your company control, and avoiding altogether the reliance on 3rd party updates and changes.

This is just a start, issued with good intentions, with hope of some implementation.

Larry

2 Likes

Are you seeing FFReboots on the Roku 4 / V7 firmware?

Have not tried.

Problem solved! Solved it by replacing Roku LT 2700 in bedroom with the Roku 3 that was in the living room. The living room now has Roku 4. Roku LT 2700 only had 2.4 GHz WiFi and was slower.

Today is Nov 3 and still no OS 7 on Roku 3. Perhaps by Thanksgiving, or maybe that will be Roku’s Christmas present to me.

A bit confusing-

Which problem solved? LPW, FFReboot, other?

Was Roku 4 in living room the solution? Assuming V7 made some difference here but unclear what fixed what.

chirping problem solved. Also LPW. I never had the FFReboot, due to the fact that it takes so long to resume that I just watch the commercials (using them as bathroom break or getting something to eat or drink, etc.) The main problem I now have is when I go to recordings on Roku (any) they take longer to show up than they do when I go to recordings on my phone.

LOTS of the movies I record are only 480 so I changed from 1080 to the 720 recommended to get smaller file sizes. Router, antenna, and WiFi make a difference. Now I have everything on 5 GHz, with the Roku 4 using wireless AC and everything else whatever they support. They all do connect to the 5 GHz network. The Roku LT 2700 only supports 2.4 GHz WiFi.

Rokus now working much better !!!

In a separate thread, I have been seeking advice regarding a one year old bug which continued to occasionally leave me with Tablo Recordins home page icons which could neither be opened or deleted.

The recordings for these icons can be seen and played from my iPhone, but could not be seen or played otherwise.

Most frustrating was the fact that full hard resets of Tablo cleared this problem but lost all of the recorded content on the Tablo hard disk.

I loaded the Roku Preview beta app for the Tablo and reinstalled it. I have avoided this app since it is clearly a work in progress, partially built, declared as beta software, and in the prior version I briefly examined so slow in the new grid feature as to make it useless. Tablo did not portray it as a bug fixed product even though it actually is, at least for the 2 issues which I identified above.

What I discovered was amazingly good news:

The Preview app actually has bug fixes in it to fix prior issues I have been suffering.
Specifically, it CAN SEE AND PLAY THE HIDDEN FILES PROPERLY and REBOOTS THE ROKUS A LOT LESS during FF/Play than the standard Tablo channel app.

It has only today become apparent that Tablo seems to have decided to put bug fixes into the Preview yet never update / maintain their official app. Their announcements failed to reveal any of this, and their method of doing maintenance is entirely non-standard. What an outrageous way to do a staged improvement…

My hidden files are now watchable on the Rokus, and, for the first time today while on my treadmill I did not have one single reboot. There I dreaded most since I sometimes had to stop the treadmill and repower the Roku if the freeze was not detected by Roku in their timeout daemon.

I will be switching all of my 7 Roku 3’s over to ONLY use the Preview app from now on.

Tablo Support…If you read any of this, might I reespectfully suggest you do a Headline post on the user forum to strongly encourage folks to use the Preview app as their daily player. Or, incorporate the bug fixes into the Feb 2015 maintenance release and release it as a new Official release, or both.

Clearly, these bugs have arisen from Tablo code issues, and confounded / exacerabated by an extremely odd method of doing maintenance bug fixes on the Official Tablo channel app which we use as our player…

Larry

Welcome to the club!
Following are issues you may experience, along with my workarounds…

1. Takes 20 seconds to display untuned Live TV channel - wait 20 seconds. :wink:
  2. FF/RW Roku crash - wait a moment before pressing the OK or Play buttons.
  3. Loading, please wait when playing a recording on hardwired Roku 4 - use Roku 4 wirelessly.
  4. Loading, please wait loop when playing a recording on any hardwired or wireless Roku - use MS Windows 7 Google Chrome Browser, or Android Tablo app.