Roku rebooting

I’ve observed similar behavior. With the fall season starting I’m back to watching recorded shows. In the past I always used the directional pad for skipping commercials because it provided more control but now I’m using FFW at the first speed and pressing the play/pause button to resume one thumbnail prior to the restart of the show. No reboots using this technique thus far. I’m not saying it’s the answer yet but it’s progress. I seem to recall someone may have already pointed this out way back in the thread.

1 Like

I have the Roku 3 model 4200x and running the beta version of the Tablo Preview channel and the 2.2.5 Tablo firmware. So far, no problems on the Roku 3. The Roku LT 2700x has a noise like a bug landing on a old bug zapper when watching live. This noise is mostly right before a commercial.

1 Like

Finally, buggy software comes with audible warning !!

2 Likes

Thanks, that genuinely made me LOL!

504 replies, and i read all of them up through 250 without finding the fix. Moved to the last thread and read backwards and i’m still not seeing a fix but i’m still seeing the issues. Mine never did this but after Tablo fixed my recordings play back issue, i am now seeing it. EVERYTIME i hit the fast forward button, it freezes and reboots. I am not doing this intentionally. I’m doing it accidentally watching the tv in the dark–the FF button is under the OK button and my braile is not perfect. i bought all my roku/tablo equipment in july, so it’s new and i’m new.

@kitesurfer, this is a bug with the Roku, and both Roku and Tablo are working together to figure it out. I am on the 7.x Roku beta team, and their latest release fixed the rebooting issue for me. All the previous 7.x builds cause my Tablo to reboot at least once every recorded show (but nowhere near every time I hit FF).

With both sides working together, I am sure that it can be fixed.

2 Likes

@TabloTV are we anywhere near a solution on this? Your loaner unit with the 6.x beta is now rebooting on almost every recorded show we watch. Six months is long enough to come up with something.

2 Likes

Just as an update to my post 24 days ago.

Original post: 'Since updating to Tablo 2.2.2, Roku 3 4200x with Build 3672 and removing the Tablo preview channel and reinstalling on my Roku. I have not had any issues after 6 days. I too have had the same issues as everyone here is describing. This is the longest period I have gone without issues. FYI I have all of mine Ethernet wired, not that seems to make much difference with the issues everyone is having"

I still have not had a single reboot of my Roku during Tablo FF operations. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully all of you will experience success soon.

No reboots for me either on the latest 7.x beta. I have high hopes that this issue will be gone when Roku releases their version 7.

The latest build of Roku beta version 7.x has seemed to fix the reboot issue for me as well. There are still a couple other issues that need to be addressed, but this was a big one.

They seem to have gotten quite a few of us tablo users for this Roku beta test so that’s a good sign.

2 Likes

Spoke too soon. Had a reboot last night.

Roku OS 7 is supposed to be coming in mid-October. http://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-os-7-is-coming-to-all-roku-boxes-released-since-2011/

Our CEO is actively working with Roku to make sure the reboot issue gets addressed.

5 Likes

They just put out the Roku 4 press release and mentioned this on the OS 7 release.

“Roku OS 7 will be rolled out to current-generation Roku players and Roku TVs through a software update beginning in mid-October and is expected to be completed in November.”

It is still happening constantly to me. It rebooted on me during every commercial break when I was watching The Late Show with Stephen Colbert today.

Posted the below in another thread, but since this one appears to also be the hub for the reboot issue will also add here. My experiences completely jive with what @TabloSupport is reporting (this is a Roku issue, not a Tablo issue).

For what it’s worth, my experiences on this issue aren’t isolated to Tablo. I have the same reboot/skipping issue on the WWE app (perhaps even more severe on that app).

1 Like

I noticed a difference in ROKU reboots since the last update which lessened the amounts of updates for me.
For one, before; the video would just freeze and the reboot would happen relatively quickly. I also never lost the ability to resume playing the show before.
Now, the reboots don’t happen as often but when they do, the screen goes gray and it takes much longer for the system to reboot itself, it’s faster to get up and unplug the unit.

Also, the last reboot that happened to my ROKU corrupted some Tablo internal file because I was no longer able to resume playing my show after the reboot! The entire folder was no longer visible (it didn’t matter which app I tried).

Luckily, the next recorded episode restored the folder but the episode is only visible on the official ROKU app. If I use the Chrome browser, the Preview Roku app or the FireTV app the show I was watching during the reboot is still missing! Only the new episodes recorded after the last reboot show up on all the newer streaming apps.

I put 2 photos to show what I’m talking about on another thread about shows not showing up. (Picture worth a thousand words, right?)

I sure hope the firmware update which finds lost episodes also prevents reboots from losing them in the first place. I’d hate to need to wait to the next instance of that show being recorded just to resume playing a show after a Roku reboot ever again.

Thanks everyone!
Doni

I just updated to the Tablo firmware on the 10-24, and the Roku reboot problem went from infrequent to commonplace. I was a bit disappointed, since it was usually happening while trying for skip the first commercial break on a 30 minute program ( Big Bang Theory ). I really bought this for NFL games, so I really wondering how many reboots I am in for today.

I am hoping this is contained to previously recorded content, otherwise I may start looking into how to downgrade, since the previous version worked pretty well.

@John_Clark - Sorry to hear that. Can you try rebooting your network (then wait 5 minutes) then your Tablo (quick press only! then wait 5 minutes) then your Roku (then wait 5 minutes) and see if this persists?

Let us know. If it does, please let us know what version of the Roku channel you’re using and what type of Roku box. It would also be good to know what firmware version your Roku is running.

Now that Roku 4 and the major new Roku firmware version 7.x have been released, I am very anxious to learn whether this Fast Forward reboot bug has finally been resolved.

Over 100 reviews of the new Roku 4 on Amazon as well as occasional references to Roku Version 7 firmware updates here on the Tablo forum would indicate that Tablo users of the new firmware should have direct experience with the official V7.x release (not the betas).

Earlier reports from those familiar with the V7 betas strongly hinted at a solution to this extremely annoying and extremely long term bug created last April (it is now nearly November).

Anyone actually seeing a SOLVED problem here?

Thanks,
Larry

Got the Tablo 2.2.6 firmware release a few days ago. So it’s still early but… no more Roku reboots!! I’ve been suffering with this issue for six months, happening multiple times a night every third or fourth time I come out of fast forward. My Roku 3 is still on release 6.2 build 3672, hasn’t changed since Sept 1. Tablo and Roku are hardwired to a Linksys router so it was never a wifi issue. Recording quality has always been HD 720. Fingers crossed that this demon has been exorcised and won’t return with the Roku v7 firmware.