Roku rebooting

@RetiredEngineer, please check your private messages.

The fools who continue to post here over and over, that they have this problem are, to me, the ones who should NOT reprise their comments.,

hearing my grandchild say she wants a cookie is no more effective the fiftieth time, than it was the first time.

1 Like

Continued Complaining actually seems to have helped. We at least now have the CEOs attention.

2 Likes

Giving it a rest, and bringing it up again may have gotten some results, but post after post after post from the same person is not likely to have done ANYTHING.

Fan boys telling everyone to shut up has not fixed any issues. Glad Tablo is working harder to help these individuals. Keep it up, Tablo.

3 Likes

Fan boys exist for a reason.

To interfere with people that are aggravated and want help?

The sooner this is fixed the better for all. Anyone with a Roku contemplating tablo purchase would be scared off based on this thread. And we all want Tablo to succeed.

1 Like

I agree on both counts.

Correct. I offer no help to anyone on the forums.

I finally upgraded one of my Roku 1’s to a 2014 Roku 3 (4200x v6.2/Build 3467) to go along with 2 Roku 1’s. The new 3 is hardwired (about 10ft from the router) and the Tablo continues to be hardwired to the router. I switched Tablo recording quality setting to 1080p and things were going just fine (no buffering/looping) and as a matter of fact the two wireless Roku 1’s handled the 1080p setting just fine (no buffering/looping) if not better than when I had three Roku 1’s going. But then the Roku 3 did the reboot thing while FF with the right arrow button. And then again, and yep again over the course of a few days. And while I don’t see it mentioned very often, my Roku 1’s also experience this (as recent as yesterday my wife just told me) and it only happens with the Tablo apps (both original and preview). In 18 months of streaming with Roku we have never had anything cause our Rokus to reboot or freeze except for the Tablo apps. Great to see Tablo finally acknowledge it.

1 Like

I entirely agree with goodguytoo when he says:

Continued Complaining actually seems to have helped. We at least now have the CEOs attention.

and disagree with philsoft and his observation that: “Giving it a rest, and bringing it up again may have gotten some results, but post after post after post from the same person is not likely to have done ANYTHING.”

philaoft has decided to take this topic to a personal ad hominem level by stating that “The fools who continue to post here over and over, that they have this problem are, to me, the ones who should NOT reprise their comments.,”

In my defense, I need to say that a small fraction of the posts of this thread come from me, and those which I have posted span a period of many months of absolutely no improvements or taking ownership, except for Tablo serving as the messenger boy to Roku. I deal with the consequences of this issue on a daily and nightly basis, and those who are either fanboys or don’t personally deal with this FFReboot issue personally are hardly the ones to decide how much effort I should expend trying to get some attention focused on this problem. They are not stake-holders, as far as I know, unless they have some connection to Tablo which is not being divulged causing them to offer biased opinions. Or they may be technically ill-informed and leap to erroneous conclusions.

I previously accused philsoft, earlier in this thread, of being both snarky and dismissive in criticizing my posts challenging Tablo, while trying to convince me that Roku was a “closed system” whose channel programming could not allow for Tablo to create such a fast forward rebooting issue. To philsoft, it was / is unthinkable that Tablo could possibly contribute to causing this problem and therefore it absolutely MUST BE Roku whose firmware is at fault. He clearly wants to hear nothing of this complaint when focused on Tablo, especially if repeated as the months roll by. I once again repeat my request to philsoft to spare me / us his dismissive remarks.

I think there is value in people coming forward and describing their specific Roku rebooting issues and exchanging technical information, but I fail to see what benefit is derived from those who have no problems posting that they have no problems. Clearly this is not affecting all Tablo users, and filling this thread with reports of “no problem” seems foolish, as I stated earlier.

On the other hand, continuing to apply pressure for a problem which has gone on for many months and for which no end is clearly in sight makes a great deal of sense, as far as I am concerned. It is not, as philsoft has characterized it, foolish. All of us with flakey Tablo playback need a solution. And Tablo needs to work this aggresively to preserve an excellent product and a fine reputation.

Larry

1 Like

I agree that bringing things to the forefront and making sure things get taken care of is a good thing. However, having said that, this thread has started to become more ranting and accusatory on many peoples sides. I for one would like to see that stop and head this forum back down the path it has been for a long time, helpful.

Sorry, I hope you don’t take that the wrong way.

2 Likes

I agree entirely. My “5th month rant”, as I previously called it, has now ended. I look forward to the time when I will, just as I did in ny first ownership months 1-5 of Tablo, have zero complaints about Tablo and no need to post. Hopefully soon,

Larry

1 Like

We are new to Tablo and both our Roku 3’s (4230CA) have already rebooted on our first day of using them.
Already thinking of not buying that third Roku I was planning on getting for our last television (as it would have been mainly for Tablo). They crashed upon playing a paused recording (one was “live” and the other one was pre-recorded).

I am local as well and willing to help, but it looks as though Nuvyyo is in good hands with luker already.

2 Likes

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

EXCUSE ME?? That line was a quote of you with the appropriate words changed.

It IS your Roku that is crashing right? Not your Tablo? I am sure it must make perfect sense to you to blame the TABLO for a completely different device crashing when the issue is limited to certain people and not universal.

Just as repeatedly saying I HAVE a problem seems foolish and redundant to me. Your issue has been heard and acknowledged, continued bellyaching about it just comes across as complaining just for the sake of complaining. If my Roku was crashing all the time, that is an issue I would take up with Roku. Has Roku told you it is a Tablo issue? NOPE! You want it to be a Tablo issue for some reason. It has been pointed out to you that there are several channels with this issue for others, but it doesn’t match your experience which is allegedly ONLY in the Tablo channel according to you, so you don’t want to hear that.

There are a few people that are experiencing this issue, but artificially “blowing up” the post count isn’t going to trick Nuvyyo into thinking that there are hundreds of users experiencing this, it is a VERY vocal few. The issue is being looked at and THAT isn’t good enough either.

Tablo writes the software that runs on Roku. Every other developer seems to be able to make it work.

The tablo software on the Roku seems to be the issue after Roku updated. I view this as it is Tablos job to work it out. Seems they have some code that worked before but doesn’t always now. 5 months have passed with zero progress. That is why we keep talking about it on this thread.

We should start a “my tablo works great” thread for all you to post on. Happy for you, it sucks for us. It still works but we can’t FF which is a large reason we want a DVR in the first place.

3 Likes

Using a proprietary language created by Roku. NO channel should be able to crash the Roku using Bright Script.

Yes, on DIFFERENT Roku firmware.

I just want to say that just because there are a few vocal people complaining about the issue doesn’t mean that they are the only ones experiencing the problem. For every vocal person, there are often many, many more who see that the issue has been brought up here and haven’t felt the need to chime in with a “me too.” My husband bought a new Roku 2 a few weeks ago and is experiencing the same issue. I haven’t posted before because I had seen that the issue was being discussed already. However, I am posting now to say that more people than those who complain do experience the issue.

I have been satisfied with the fact that the issue is being looked into and will continue to be patient. My husband, for the time being, is choosing not to FF. It is not ideal, but we will give Tablo and Roku a chance to work it out. If it doesn’t get fixed, I would say we would be more likely to keep Tablo, sell the Roku, and get another FireTV, which works great with Tablo. We have only had the Roku for a few weeks, but I can see how frustrating it would be to deal with this issue for 4-5 months. Honestly, it would be pretty unbearable. I probably would have sold the Roku by now if we were in that situation. I don’t know if the Roku has problems with other apps as my husband bought it for the sake of Tablo and hasn’t used other services.

While it may be a Roku bug, if the bug is primarily affecting a small subset of users of a single app, I can see where the developers of that app would work harder to figure out what the source of the problem is than would the developer of a device that runs thousands of apps that do not experience the issue. So asking Tablo to keep investigating the issue is not unreasonable - even if it is not their bug.

Just wanted to put out a more moderate/temperate request to keep working on the issue. While I am not angry or at the end of my rope and have alternatives should it never get resolved, I would still like to see this fixed for my husband’s sake as he would prefer a Roku to a FireTV (not being invested in Amazon the way I am).

Thank you for your time.

5 Likes