Roku rebooting

@RetiredEngineer, I have the same rebooting issues for months on all 5 of my Rokus. I have had it happen with Netflix (which my family watches a ton of) once, maybe twice ever. But it reboots while watching the Tablo app multiple times a show. Its aggravating, my wife wants DirecTV back and I’m hoping it gets fixed soon so I can remain a cord cutter.

@jerllouk

Have you contacted Tablo Support directly with the information they have requested about the reboots so they can forward them to the Roku developers?

No, I opened a ticket awhile back, they had me change some speed settings in a secret menu, and some other stuff, didn’t help.

I don’t want to work for Tablo, I just want Tablo to work. I see a bunch of users with the issue, I expected it would be fixed, not still going on 4 months later. Very disappointed.

2 Likes

Yes I agree it’s unfortunate. Your issue is not universal - I have 2 Roku 3s Model 4200 and they never reboot when using the Tablo channel.

You’re going to have to get a bit more involved to get this fixed.

I understand this sentiment, and agree with it. In my case though, I am getting reboots, but it isn’t the Tablo channel that is causing it. It is AOL.On (The news link in the Roku main menu). I watch a couple of those news stories and the Roku becomes unresponsive for 10 or maybe 20 seconds, and then suddenly reboots. It is annoying for sure, but (at least in my case) it doesn’t point to a Tablo issue, but rather a Roku issue.

philsoft’s rebooting problem is documented on the Roku developer website and supposedly being addressed. The Fast Forward reboot problem many of us have been having has not shown up on their site AFAIK and has no Roku attention to my knowledge since it appeared last April. The updated Roku firmware recently and previously did not address the FF rebooting snd I have very little (actually no evidence whatsoever) that Roku is working it. Three separate tickets each followed by escalations led to “Thanks for being patient” in my attempts to get their assistance. I sent them crash details over and over again with absolutely no follow-up.

As before, I remain convinced this problem will be solved byTablo channel code change(s), if it does ever get fixed.

1 Like

Whether this is a Tablo or Roku issue, I leave to the philosophers amongst us. I can say that the Release Notes in the most recent Build in Roku Beta firmware state that the Release purports to fix issues with respect to (and I quote):

“-Fast forward and rewinding content in channels such as HBOGo, Fox Now, and PLEX”

This doesn’t prove anything except I think it is fair to say that other Roku channels in addition to Tablo have experienced Roku reboot issues with respect to Fast forward and rewinding.

And now, I can sit back and look forward to thousands of new postings on whether ownership of the Fast Forward/rewind problems that some of have experienced (personally, I have not) belongs to Tablo or Roku.

1 Like

This is WONDERFUL NEWS that it is now a solution in progress.

Does the beta release note apply to the recent release of Roku firmware or is the beta for a yet to be released future version / build?

Whoo Hoo!

The release notes relate to a build for a new version of the Roku firmware.

I wouldn’t break out the champagne just yet. The initial Build of the new Roku beta software introduced all sorts of fast forward/rewind issues for all sorts of apps. A revised Build contained the quote in my positing above. It is not clear to me whether the “fix” pertains solely to fast forward rewind issues introduced by the initial Build or whether “the fix” addresses the issues that existed even prior to the new Beta software.

1 Like

Under normal circumstances I can now make it happen at will within the Tablo TV app. Fast forward a number of times, immediately back up a few then hit play, all without a delay. My Roku reboots every time. Alternatively if I forward a number of time and then pause for a moment before pressing play, the likelihood of a Roku reboot is lessened.

I’ve never had the issue occur while forwarding through a program that has recently started recording where the images have not built yet. Not sure what thats about.

1 Like

My reboots are not so repeatable. However, I have fluctuating delay time between hitting remote keys and getting Tablo responses, and my reboots seem to happen only when these delays are longer. My network is otherwise not busy and no other significant traffic is occuring so not sure why the latency fluctuates so greatly.

Mine is now starting to reboot more frequently, to the point of annoying.

1 Like

I’ve been LOVING my TabloTV since it was first released over a year now BUT as others on here my ROKU 3 has begun annoyingly freezing and auto rebooting to the point I am no longer able to enjoy my TabloTV as much anymore.
Which is so sad!

Last week I drilled holes on top of my Roku3 box itself as I thought the hardware was possibly having heat issues in the summer (since this issue is recent for me, started this season). I seen a video online that claimed the better ventilation would help the ROKU not freeze up, unfortunately it didn’t help this issue.

So I came here looking for solutions after waiting months for this issue to be worked out by companies, both ROKU & TabloTV.

Does anyone know if this issue is strictly on the Roku?
Perhaps I need to invest on an appleTV?
Does anyone know if that app has this issue of rebooting when f/f or r/w commercials?

Thanks everyone!
Doni

Nice on you for trying to fix it. Those holes must looks cra’y

Anyways, the Fire TV box or Nexus Player works well. Apple TV requires AirPlay from an iOS device.

2 Likes

Thanks “theuser86”, I forgot about needing an iOS device with appleTV, so I need to rule that one out.
I actually have a fireTV but I seem to have just as many problems with that box in general (needing for it to reboot every so often). I’ve actually gone back and forth between them during reboots in the past as I can’t stand waiting with nothing on the screen.
:slight_smile:
Also, I’m not crazy about the FireTV’s TabloTV app layout, I miss the most recent shows on top like the Roku shows them. Although the Roku preview app is also missing that feature, I am hoping they add it before the final version is released.

Maybe I’ll just try streaming from a chrome-stick using my PC’s browser next until the Roku firmware issue is resolved.
The only problem then is having to have the PC on, the Roku + TabloTV is a much more convenient option for me.
Thanks again for the reply!

PS The Roku3 don’t look so bad with the holes I put in it, and with the heat escaping should run cooler for what that is worth. I wonder if I can post a photo on this thread?

You def can - take one with your phone and use the browser on your phone to surf the forums. Photos can be uploaded easily.

sorry! “theuser86”
I tried posting the photo and ended up creating a totally new thread which wasn’t my intention at all.
Anyway, here is the photo.
Doni

I finally had Tablo crash on me on the Roku Ff commercials. I’m going to to using my FireTV stick and see how it works when ff Comercials.

2 Days with no rebooting! woohoo! LOL

I might be jumping the gun in declaring my problem is totally gone BUT it hasn’t done it in 2 days now. Plus I’ve been deliberately trying to confuse it, pressing f/f and r/w buttons several times over and over along with the pause and play!
In the past pushing the buttons more than a few times rebooted, even as much as 3x in one 30 minute program. So I am very happy the problem is gone for me!

Now, having said that, I don’t believe it was my holes that fixed it! Because it had continued to do for a day even after the holes.
The next 2 things I did try were…

1. I added a microSD card in the back and formatted it for use as channel memory. It appears to have used 12% already so it must have been low on memory?
    I also deleted a lot of stupid channels I never actually used after loading them.

And, no.2…I deleted my TabloTV preview Channel! Perhaps the 2 apps can’t play nice together?
I only think this because it seems to have started after I loaded the preview Tablo channel on my Roku (I can’t be sure however).

I checked my Roku version number and it is Software version 6.2 Build 34.67 and it hasn’t changed that I know of. So, I am thinking maybe it was running low on memory?

Just a thought, not sure why it hasn’t had the problem in 2 days. I’ll keep you posted if it occurs again in future, good luck everyone!