Roku rebooting

It happens almost daily for us, yesterday immediately after a reboot of the Roku. Didn’t think that posting things daily would help resolve the issue. This is happening so much that my 12 year old starts laughing and says “Roku reboot time” when it occurs.

Since it’s the roku that crashes, do you think that the roku phones home the crash information on reboot to their customer support. If the real problem was with the tablo app, you would think that roku customer support would be getting so tired of seeing this problem show up that they would be calling tablo with a fix.

Maybe if we run out the clock until the next roku firmware update the problem will mysteriously disappear.

@luker Are you seeing the Roku reboot with other apps, or just Tablo? For me, it has been exclusively Tablo FFW that causes the reboots (first Roku becomes completely unresponsive to input, then in about 30 seconds, reboots). It happens with regularity for me since updating to the current Tablo beta firmware and Roku preview app.

Currently it is back to only the Tablo app. It used to happen in YouTube and TED but both of those went away pretty quickly.

Roku customer support does not seem to give a rats ass about consumers. I gave up on them when they refused to admit to an issue that their own devs admitted to and were working on in their forums.

2 Likes

From April to nearly August, many months have passed since my Tablo went from a stable family entertainment device to a very unreliable device overnight. Frequent crashes on my 6 Roku boxes, ONLY WHEN USING TABLO.

Hundreds of posts in this thread…

Tablo, you have a problem. Waiting for Roku to find and fix it is rubbish. Try rewriting and testing some new Brightscript code. I use 9 other Roku channels routinely and ONLY TABLO hangs and reboots…

I still have problems too. Reboots daily if I fast forward. Still very frustrated. I stopped recommending tablo to my friends. Previously I would talk to all about the virtues of cutting the cord.

I used to have reboots all the time, but I haven’t had one in weeks. It might be the new beta software in the works that fixed it.

If new Tablo beta software seems to fix this problem, then Tablo would do us a HUGE FAVOR BY ALLOWING US TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THIS NEW VERSION. It has to be better than living with the current crashing and rebooting we have been struggling with SINCE THE APRIL TABLO FIRMWARE UPGRADE MANY MONTHS AGO.

Trust me, they want to release it as soon as possible. There are one or two serious bugs which affect a portion of the users being worked out right now. I’m glad they are taking their time to release a polished update that will please everyone.

Can’t wait !! Tablo is such a great product except for this single horrendous bug. I am fully in sgreement that a firmware release should be carefully tested before release, but several months of sheer frustration with crashes has really made this release long overdue.

I wouldn’t get too excited just yet. Tablo has given no indication that this firmware includes a fix for the roku rebooting issue. In fact, just yesterday they said in this thread that they sent a batch of our reports to roku and this beta has been out for almost a month now. Sorry…

On the other hand, roku seems to come out with a firmware update around the 1st every couple of months and we’re due. Maybe with the reports tablo has been sending over they’ve come up with a fix? I doubt it, but I’m trying to stay positive here.

1 Like

@getcashmoney I used to have NO Roku reboots, until I installed the 2.2.2 Beta firmware, and now have MANY Roku reboots, that seem isolated to the Tablo app (haven’t had one on Netflix, Amazon, or HBO GO) - and exclusively triggered by FFW.
For me, it started as soon as I installed the Beta…so Your Mileage May Vary!

All,

We understand that this has been a frustrating process. We feel the same way. We’ve connected with Roku and are continuing to provide them
with evidence, reports and logs to illustrate the severity of this issue.

We’ve noted before that we’ve seen this behaviour on other channels, and that we’ve narrowed this down to a Roku firmware issue. This hasn’t changed.

In terms of next moves: please continue to provide us with reports as outlined above if your Roku should reboot while viewing the Tablo (or any other) channel.

We’ll continue to push towards a resolution with our friends at Roku, and we will post updates to this thread as they come in.

2 Likes

Tablo Support-
Can you please tell me / us the other channels where you are seeing FF reboots ? I would LOVE to try them and see if they do the same on my 6 Roku boxes.

Since I have NEVER seen this issue on any other Roku channel, see it many times daily on Tablo, and only started having this problem on the very same day my Tablo firmware was updated, I still remain totally skeptical that this is just a Roku problem.

I watch tons of Roku content from other sources and just do not see this issue. I do, very rarely, see a different form of hang / crash after watching content on a few channels such as Smithsonian, Livestream, Netflix but only after very extended periods of viewing uninterrupted content, but have NEVER seen the crashes while fast forwadung or fast reverse. These very frequent crashes in Tablo occur ONLY on the Tablo channel and never occur on other channels.

Which Roku channels demonstrate this FF crash proiblem other thsn Tablo ???

Thank you.

1 Like

Do you accumulate the details of these daily reboots and forward them over to Tablo?

I’m sure they will be a great help in having Roku debug what’s going on so they can release a firmware fix.

I have been sending Roku these crash reports for several months and reported doing so previously in this thread. I have had several “escalations” promised, in all cases followed by no reply whatsoever. I have started new tickets when old ticket agents escalated but then never replied.

My most recent agent, named Surendar, has these ’ ‘encouraging’ words as recently as this morning:

Dear Larry ,

Thank you for contacting Roku support.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that this problem has caused you. We will check regarding this issue and get back as soon as possible.

Your Reference Number/Case ID from Roku is 3710762

If you have more queries, you can reply to this e-mail or you can call our customer service representative at 1-888-600-7658. Rest assured that we will continue to exert our best effort into improving our products and services. For frequently asked questions, you may also visit our website: http://support.roku.com/.

Have a pleasant day!
Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku.

Regards,
Surendar
Roku Customer Service

And yes, I have called them…several times.

Not called Roku. I meant sent the details directly to Tablo. Specifically the details they asked for. They are compiling the instances and sending it together to Roku.

This is probably a better idea than contacting Roku directly, as Tablo has direct contact with the Roku developers/engineers.

The Roku 6.2 firmware crash issue, unlike the Tablo FF crash issue, has been given notice on the Roku developer forum. This is NOT the same issue we Tablo users are reporting.

Even worse than that, it is confused by some people here as being evidence that other channels on Roku suffer fast forward ceashes.

This is why I am asking Tablo Support which such channels are they referring to.

Join the Roku developer group at no charge and do some reading:

NO FF issue here-

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=86129

See for yourself.

YES TES YES TES I HAVE SENT THEM DOZENS OF CRASH REPORTS EXACTLY AS SPECIFIED AND HAVE BEEN DOING SO FOR MONTHS

I have replied to you expiicitly on the very same topic before that I have been providing Roku with details of date, time, channel, etc.

No I have not also sent them to Tablo since Tablo disavowed ownership very early on. I began contacting Roku directly and continued do so.

Not until a couple months of growing complaints here did Tablo take any role whatsoever except to say they “hoped Roku would fix this soon”