Roku rebooting

After ten minutes of using my bedroom Roku hardwired, non hard reset, with new preview channel I rebooted twice, each time after moving around on the timeline with fast forwards and rewunds. No better than standard channel and possibly even worse… Aaarrrgh!

Yesterday I have had no reboots, and I was FF over the commercials. But it doesn’t mean it will crash. I try and do as little FF or REW as possible to keep things healthy.

It maybe time that Tablo takes a trip to Roku and have them sit down in a room and figure this out together.

I don’t think that will happen. I think they are focusing on issues that affect a significant number of people, more than isolated incidents.

Interesting that it made a difference. I really expected it not to. That might point to a router or switch issue or even another device causing wired interference. It also might just be that because wireless is slower it does not trigger the reboot as often.

I saw that you planned on testing another router. It will be interesting to see if that makes any difference. I have seen cases in the past where someone had 1 bad/faulty device on a network that would produce problems in an unrelated device but have no other ill effects on anything else.

Hey folks,

We’re in contact with Roku to try and narrow this down. They’ve asked us to begin tracking the reboots of the Roku devices while using the Tablo channel. The key things they need are:

• Date and time of each reboot
  • Time zone
  • Device Serial Number

Feel free to document these details in this thread, or send them to us directly as as ticket. We’ll keep track of this on our end and get them to Roku.

2 Likes

Thanks TabloSupport!

My exchanges with Roku, with Mr. Leonardo de Chellini, have provided this exact format of detail as you describe. Glad to see some collaboration starting and VERY MUCH HOPE that others here will provide similar evidence / feedback to get the debug process rolling.

Larry

Thanks nicoleb !

I tried a total of 5 routers, three of the same model and 2 other models. None changed this problem.

I have seen network flooding issues from a bad Nest thermostat which I stupidly purchased shortly after it was introduced. Their immature and ego-centric developers refused to acknowledge firmware bugs, sending their early customers out to replace supposedly faulty routers. They ultimately found and fixed their problem, causing much negative publicity which still shows up to this day several years later.

When the Nest flooded the network, other devices relying on short latency replies (such as fast forwarding on a networked DVR) failed often. It could be a similar situation here with Tablo.

Tools like Ethereal, Wireshark, and especially a good network analyzer would really help here.

I have a new piece of info for the reboot issue. As I’ve stated I’ve had no Roku reboots since the last Roku firmware update. I have been running my Tablo at 1080p resolution for well over a month. Saturday I decided to switch that to the 720p (recommended) setting after reading some info about the resolutions.

This Sunday I had 3 reboot on two shows that were recorded at the 720p setting. I’ve changed my Tablo back to the 1080p setting. This may be a coincidence, but I thought I would share.

1 Like

Tx for sharing @nicholb. We’ll take a look and see if recording quality makes a difference.

1 Like

It has been a week now with the Tablo set back to 1080p and I have had 0 Roku reboots.

Haven’t used Tablo in about 1 week. Reboot last night in the one show we watched and reboot tonight in the second show we watched.

Need to find that post that tells us what to keep track of and start tracking these. Needless to say Family Acceptance Factor is now very low here with this solution.

Sorry some of you are experiencing problems. Either my retuning antenna or the software changes fixed it for me.

@luker - We need to know the following:

Date and time of each reboot
Time zone
Device Serial Number (of your Roku)

Found that and submitted a ticket on Tuesday.

Good news! Switched from 720p Roku recording to 1080p for about 2 weeks and no lockups or crashes while FF. Looks like it will stay at 1080p from now on.

I finally had a Roku reboot on a 1080p recording last night. The first one since the last Roku firmware update. So it appears that the 1080p setting does not completely eliminate the reboots, but does greatly reduce them.

1 Like

Ok, I have had the same issues of rebooting from using the fast forward as the rest of you. Is it the Roku or is it Tablo? I have no idea. I want to share with everyone is my experience I just had last night. As I stated I have my Roku 3 reboot after using the fast forward, for me it seems to happen most often if I FF often or FF and then rewind. Typically all my recorded programs I watch are usually at least 12 hours or more old before I watch them and they have the preview pictures with them as you FF and RW. If you watch a soon with in a hour or shorter that you have recorded it does not have the preview pictures and that is where I find the reboot issue stops. I can FF or RW as much as I want an never have the Roku reboot. I mean I have done things with the FF and RW that would for sure make my Roku reboot if it had the preview pictures. Any way just thought I would throw my two cents in.

Good to know.

@scomar - I’m also seeing constant Roku 3 reboots ONLY when using FF with preview thumbnails on Tablo. For me it only started after loading the 2.2.2 beta Tablo firmware.

All,

We’ve sent a batch of these reports to Roku and we’re hopeful this will help them track this down. If you do continue to see these reboots, please continue to post the details of them (or send them to us directly) with the following information:

Date and time of each reboot
Time zone
Device Serial Number (of your Roku)