Roku rebooting

Now that I think about it, I did drop back to 720 and still had rebooting. Hopefully the current reboot-free streak since the last Roku update holds.

@nicholb Keep us updated. Which Roku firmware release are you using now?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Yes, my router is providing UPnP. I have actually tried three different routers, all of which have UPnP, and none behave differently with regard to freezing/rebooting.

There is no RF interference issue. (I have held all 5 classes of amateur radio licenses, both classes of FCC commercial broadcast engineering licenses, taught RF engineering courses, and have two electrical/computer engineering degrees. Trust me, there is no RF interference issue.)

As I’ve stated previously, I have six hardwired ethernet connected Roku boxes. All have the same issue. My ethernet cable to the Tablo is absolutely fine.

I am not running anything “nonstandard”. I do have many devices on my local area network, but at most, two streaming devices are being used at the same time.

I have used routers from Linksys, TP-link, and Netgear, attempting to further isolate this problem. All three routers behave the same way.

I have always made recordings at 720 P, the recommended bit rate, to minimize the chance of issues. I see no difference whatsoever on recordings from strong local Buffalo channels or relatively weak Toronto channels, approximately 60 air miles away.

As previously stated, the entire hardware configuration including all devices in the network LAN worked without any issues of this type until the firmware upgrades took place. Nothing since then has fixed the problem including the recent, supposedly bulletproof Roku upgrade recently.

I will repeat for the third and final time that there is a definite correlation between this problem of freezing and rebooting related to the latency/delay time I experience when pushing a remote control button. On some occasions, the response of the Tablo/Roku is instantaneous, and reboots virtually never occur under these conditions. On other occasions, a long delay time of one second or greater occurs after each button push before the Tablo/Roku responds, and then reboots frequently occur.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me if I am the only one witnessing this situation? I think there is some very valuable insight to be gained if the cause and effect relationship can be constrained using this or other observations.

I would love to know the reason WHY THIS HAPPENS, since the response time of the Roku and the Tablo should be roughly the same from one use to the next given that there is essentially no other network traffic on my local network. If, on the other hand, the Roku or Tablo or both need to go to the Internet/wide-area network for each button push, which is my suspicion, then the impact of WAN latency may be the major culprit accounting for the fact that some users encounter this problem and others don’t.

If someone knowledgeable of the Roku and Tablo interfaces can offer an opinion on this specific subject, it would be very welcome.

Clearly, a number of users have expressed our concerns in over 200 messages on this thread, going back over two months. Perhaps those of us experiencing problems can gather some further clues to assist Tablo in localizing this problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

Larry

1 Like

Let us assume that everything that you say is true (I know that RF interference can not be ruled out that easily, but …)

I hope you are going after Roku with all the tenacity that you seem to be focusing on Nuvyyo. I mean it IS the Roku that is rebooting, and not the Tablo right? The Roku is a closed system, so no channel should be able to write code that can crash it, right?

I just don’t think you will get much help on why your Roku is crashing from here. You would probably have much more success seeking answers from the maker of the device that is crashing.

The Tablo does not use the internet except for certain conditions.

1. Downloading guide data once a day (or when the user manually does it)
  2. The user tries to connect to the Tablo via http://my.tablotv.com via the browser or web apps. It is a brief connection before it is completely on the internal network.
  3. You are using Tablo Connect.

The Roku doesn’t need the internet at all to use the Tablo. So WAN latency has no effect on the Roku. I have unplugged the internet connection several times and used the Roku perfectly fine.

1 Like

Why, then, am I experiencing such wide variations in latency? And are other users with rebooting observing a similar pattern?

My prior 8 client Sage OTA DVR system, running on this same network for 9 years, with both SD and then HD tuners and set top boxes, were entirely and totally consistent with regard to latency. This Tablo Roku system fluctuates over a ten to one variation (maybe more) from one day to the next. This variation would not concern me whatsoever EXCEPT THAT the rebooting seems highly correlated.

I am trying to get a remedy through both parties, and I cannot rule out RF interference any more than I can rule out demonic possesion, but both are hypothetical and distracting trolls which show poor engineering insights and time wasting digressions.

Your supposed rock solid beta solution from Roku is most clearly NOT WORKING for those of us still experiencing problems.

Your invention of the ‘closed system’ notion and its supposed crash proof stability shows a real misunderstanding of how actual APIs and software interfaces actually behave in real world systems. Calling a Roku routine via an API may require argument lists, stack pointers, and other state variables to be properly formed, and Tablo and perhaps others misinterpret a detail which is critical.

I do not enjoy dealing with all of this, and your defense of Tablo’s “do nothing” attitude is hard to understand. If you are indeed a Roku beta tester as you claim, and not a pure troll, then PLEASE read the continuing complaints here, put on your Roku hat, and HELP SOLVE this problem…

1 Like

What I SAID was that the beta build was not crashing for me. That build is the same build that went public, and I have not had a single crash since being on that build. There are no promises there, just facts.

Since the Roku is a closed system it is THEIR responsibility to ensure that channels are unable to crash the device. Apple (which I personally have a distaste for) at least owns the fact that if you close your system then you are rersponsible for the stability of that system. I will stand by that.

I hope you read the troubleshooting tips better than you read the other parts of my posts. What I said was that I was a PAST beta tester for Roku, and they had for some reason sent this last beta to my device. I had no idea why, and I still don’t.

It is my firm belief that you have SOME issue on your LAN that is causing you issues. You don’t like that response and don’t particularly care to hear it. That is perfectly fine, but it is pretty much the best response going, as far as responses to your issues go.

So if you are just looking for a place to vent, that’s OK, I can take it, but if you really want to do what you can to isolate the problem, I can only make the suggestions that come to me, and the only one coming to me is “Look at your LAN” because it is an isolated, and not universal problem.Occam’s razor and all.

I have three Roku 3’s, and none of them have re-booted even once since the latest Roku firmware or the Tablo Roku beta software (original and current versions).

I have no doubt others who report issues are having issues, but there is at least some degree of variability that can’t be fully laid at Tablo’s doorstep regarding this issue if some users have had zero problems.

My concern is Tabloo’s attitude toward this issue. Even if it is a Roku issue. It is Tabloo’s issue to either fix or program around. My Roku has never rebooted with any other app ever. Again the reboots for me are much less frequent. But I can still force a reboot it seems if I use reckless abandon. No idea why it is slightly better now given that no one will fess up that there was an issue or that they even looked into it.

@goodguytoo - Roku did push a firmware update a week or so ago - which many people who had reboot issues said helped or fixed their problem. That may be why it is working better now for you too?

It’s both ironic and amusing that you bring up Apple TV and their “closed system” to illustrate your point. Those of us who struggled with Apple TV crashing over and over again, on one channel only, HBO Go, starting back in 2013, vividly remember how the eventual solution took place. HBO fixed their streaming server issues, and the crashes ended. Here’s the link (one of several) where this problem was discussed:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5306128

Since I’ve recently subscribed to HBO Now, the more recent web service providing HBO programming, Apple TV is again having the same problem. Fortunately for those of us who were subscribing, the problem is less severe than previously, but it is again an example of bad practices on the part of one service provider, HBO, causing the platform, Apple TV, to fail.

This illustrates two points I would like to make:

The first is that your notion of a “closed system” is your invention, and fictitious.

Second is that the solution lies in the service provider working with their own infrastructure as well as delivery platform people to make the entire unified delivery work properly.

It would’ve served nobody’s interests for HBO to blame Apple, dismiss their customers complaints, stick their head in the sand, and say: “we hope that Apple TV fixes the problem soon”…

I reject your notion of you or Tablo now pointing the finger at the customer, saying “it’s your fault. Your network is bad” as yet another method of escaping ownership. Those of us who have been dealing with this had perfectly fine, working Tablo and Roku systems for many months or longer until the firmware upgrades suddenly brought this problem to us.

If in fact some users have local area networks which are causing this problem to occur, then I still maintain that Tablo needs to identify what we should do specifically to localize this problem. Speaking for myself, I have gone so far as to change routers twice, unplug suspicious devices which could have flooding or other damaging network impacts, and moved the Tablo on the network, all to no avail.

Since no one else has yet to report/comment on the observation that latency for button pushing seems to vary greatly except to opine that no use of the Internet/wide-area network is required for normal Roku/Tablo interaction, the only technical explanation I can possibly imagine is that the Tablo may take longer to respond when it is doing recordings, and respond instantly when it is not. Clearly in my case the freezing problem worsens profoundly when Tablo is recording, assuming that my supposition is correct. Should this be truly the way things work, this would be an obvious example of Tablo needing to research this problem and correct it.

Thank you philsoft for your assistance.

Larry

Let me try this a different way.

1. You are having issues with your Roku
  2. There seem to be very few users having the same problem that you are having
  3. Programmers are very limited in what they can do on the Roku
  4. The Tablo channel is a very simple and basic channel that utilizes BrightScript
  5. Since BrightScript is also an invention of Roku it is a Roku issue

My Roku rebooted this morning while using the Newsy channel, I had not even used the Tablo channel since yesterday, HOWEVER, my Roku has been ROCK SOLID until that point ever since the latest firmware (May 8th). Whatever issues you are having are almost certainly either due to your LAN, or a Roku issue.

Complaining here may feel good, but I don’t know what exactly you hope to accomplish by doing so. Nuvyyo can’t change the internal workings of either your LAN, nor the Roku closed system. If Roku opened up their system then I suppose someone outside of Roku may be able to isolate the issue, but under the current circumstances it just seems like you are wasting energy, and could make more productive use of your time by chasing this from a different direction. Roku is the ONLY one that can look at what EXACTLY is making your Roku crash. They can look at the logs of your device just like Nuvyyo can look at device logs for the Tablo

It seems like every attempt to help you has been met with resistance to the notion that the issue could be anything other than Nuvyyo.

@RetiredEngineer

Have you tried calling Tablo Support directly? They are very responsive and likely will work with you directly on the issue.

That is the best they can do - it is not a common issue anymore since the most recent Roku firmware update pushed this month.

I am currently running v6.2 build 3467. I’ve had 0 reboots since that installed. on the previous build I had about 4 a week on the Tablo channel and about the same on the Hulu+ channel.

@RetiredEngineer Indulge me and try doing a factory reset on the Roku. I do a factory reset after every Roku Firmware update. Since I started doing this Roku has been very stable for me.

For what it’s worth I am also still experiencing this reboot issue. My reboots don’t seem to happen as often (maybe one or two a week) as Larry is having them, but regardless the issue is still present. I’ve just been patiently waiting/hoping that roku will fix the problem. With the most recent roku update my reboots have lessened, but like I said, it still happens.

For me the issue started within a day or two after the roku update a couple months ago. At that time I had been running the beta preview channel with the tablo beta firmware for a week or two without any issues until that roku update.

@RetiredEngineer I’m curious as to what similarities we have in our setup that could possibly be contributing to this. I am using a netgear wndr3400 router, everything is hardwired, WD elements 1TB hard drive. Like you, I also receive strong buffalo broadcasts.

Glad to try it again. Earlier in this thread I reported a huge but termporary improvement when I did a hard reset on all of my Rokus, lasting sbout a week. I never did hard resets again after the recent Roku update so here goes…I am doing the one Roku we watch most often in our projector-equipped home theater. If the result is beneficial I will most certainly do the others. Thanks Roraniel !

Kyle,

I am using the same hard disk as you, a 4 tuner Tablo, 6 Roku 3’s, 3 different routers to see if any one helps, and live near Buffalo like you.

Frequency of reboot / crash occurrence:
Typical day ~12 times
Worst day ~20 times
Best day ~4 times

Larry

Very very odd - Roku 3 Model 4200 here and 0 reboots.

Tablo Dual tuner, 320 GB HDD, TL-WR841N router.

When did you buy all your Roku 3s?