Roku Playback From Any Location

Let me begin by saying that I think you guys are doing a great job.  I am a software engineer and I understand a thing or two about creating quality software.  Please keep up the good work.  Now that we got that out of the way, I would like to request that the Roku support two modes:  Local and Remote.  The Roku app might prompt you the first time you load the app.  If you select local mode, then the Roku would expect the Tablo to be on the local network and operate as it does today.  However if you select remote mode, then the Roku would prompt you for your Tablo account credentials.  The Roku would use those credentials to call a Web Service that would return the list of all devices associated with your Tablo account and their corresponding IP Address.  The Roku would automatically connect to the Tablo assuming there was only one Tablo registered to the account.  Otherwise, the Roku would display the list of Tablo devices for the user to select which one to connect to.  The user would select the Tablo and then the functionality would work as it does today (except that you are now watching your programming over the Internet).

Patrick

Search the forums, this has been requested over and over. Tablo has added it to their feature requests and said one day it will be a feature, but as to when? No idea. We are expecting a new Roku channel soon but from what’s been hinted it’s going to be mainly a UI update so don’t expect Tablo Connect for Roku yet.

We hear you guys! Tablo Connect via Roku would be super cool but we’d need to do something a bit different for the ‘pairing’. We’ll be working on evaluating different ways to do this. Stay tuned!

My current solution to this is a VPN server running on the local router where the Tablo is (this is the normal router that I use, nothing fancy) and then a remote router which acts as the VPN client and the Roku connected to the remote router. The Roku connects to the Tablo no problem - of course to stream at Full Quality you need internet with minimum 10 Mbps upload speed.

@TabloTV

I think madonna’s post is spam, either way not relevant to the thread, please delete.

Done. And banned. 

@TabloTV

I think madonna’s post is spam, either way not relevant to the thread, please delete.