Remote Connect works for weeks, then fails

I am left wondering if the occasional change in my IP address, both on my LA due to lease expiration and on the WAN due to my ISP doing dynamic non static IP for my account can be automatically compensated by port forwarding? Even when my new router allows me to reserve a LAN IP, how can Tablo’s factory server know how to find my WAN IP when it suddenly changes?

I WISH that the Tablo could use a name instead of the ip address.  Then we could use NO-IP or similar service.  That is what the Plex server does. @TabloTV any chance of this happening?

I am left wondering if the occasional change in my IP address, both on my LA due to lease expiration and on the WAN due to my ISP doing dynamic non static IP for my account can be automatically compensated by port forwarding? Even when my new router allows me to reserve a LAN IP, how can Tablo's factory server know how to find my WAN IP when it suddenly changes?

Just guessing that our TABLO boxes periodically “call home” and let the Tablo factory server know what their most recent WAN IP address is.

Then, a remote user request will only fail as mine did, when the latest report has gone stale.

Or the client’s router has reassigned the local LAN IP due to lease expiration if it has no reservation feature.

Just guessing how this works…

Larry

You’re correct. Whenever your WAN IP changes the Tablo servers are updated with your new WAN IP.

It is important to note that whenever the WAN IP changes your device that you want to use remotely must be re-paired with the Tablo on the local network where the Tablo is hosted. This is an intended functioning of the Tablo. My only assumption is so that individuals don’t start sharing free OTA TV all over the Internet like Aereo did.

The issue with Internal IPs changing and breaking the port forwarding is a networking issue with your router and not the intended functioning of the Tablo.

The need to re-pair the Tablo after WAN IP changeS TAKE PLACE, every few weeks in my case, was never mentioned or publicized, and my replacement router, just ordered, may thus be a waste of money if this same issue continues for me after the router is replaced. A word of caution for those reading this thread that the WAN issue can only be solved by getting a static IP from your ISP apparently. Verizon in my case charges an extra $30/month if someone wants to go this route.

You will not need to “re-pair” devices if your WAN IP changes only every few weeks. I assume the devices such as a smartphone or tablet that you are going to use remotely will have at least connected once to the Tablo on your local network before heading out the door in those few weeks?

I use my iPhone 6 to connect remotely but I almost connect to the Tablo using my phone daily when I’m at home. So I never have to worry about my WAN IP changing unless it happens that one time I’m at work, but for the most part the phone is always “paired”.

Again your replacement router is for issues you were having with Internal IP addresses changing and breaking the port forwarding. The change of the WAN IP will not break the port forwarding as the ports will always be forwarded to the same internal IP of the Tablo.

Will aWAN change in my IP address due to me not having a static IP account from Verizon automatically be detected and updated when I use my portable device (an iPhone 6+) at home? Or do I need to go to the Settings and check Tablo Connect each time I use it, and do a re-pairing manually?

You will not need to go into the Settings. It will pair automatically with the new WAN IP as long as you’re connecting locally at home.

The enabling of Tablo Connect under Settings only needs to be done Once, and only on one device. You don’t need to enable it on ever device that connects to the Tablo. The feature is hosted and run on the Tablo.

Hope that makes sense.

It does, and thank you very much for clarifying this.

Larry

Hi guys - We’re hoping to look at alternatives to pairing over the coming year so that Tablo always has a ‘fallback’ for Tablo Connect if there are issues like this. STay tuned. 

Hi guys - We're hoping to look at alternatives to pairing over the coming year so that Tablo always has a 'fallback' for Tablo Connect if there are issues like this. STay tuned. 

The pairing as it presently exists is good but not great. I live near Buffalo NY but spent some winter time in Florida. Using my Buffalo Tablo to record local news which I can watch in Florida didn’t work out well at all whereas my SimpleTV worked well last winter 2014 and SageTV placeshifter worked great the year before. The pairing is too dependent on changing addresses. My Nest thermostats worked great also despite dynamic IP changing both WAN and LAN during this winter.

You will not need to go into the Settings. It will pair automatically with the new WAN IP as long as you're connecting locally at home.

The enabling of Tablo Connect under Settings only needs to be done Once, and only on one device. You don’t need to enable it on ever device that connects to the Tablo. The feature is hosted and run on the Tablo.

Hope that makes sense.

Installed my new TP-Link router today and finally up and running. Great product and thanks again for the suggestion. Comparing DHCP reservation feature with ARP MAC/DHCP binding feature. Both seem to fit this Tablo pairing issue nicely. Lot of nice features!!

My thanks again,

Larry

No problem - glad my suggestion worked out well for you.

It’s not a top of the line router but it does work well. TP-Link is making a name for themselves, it is not a budget brand anymore.

Any update on this after using DHCP reservation for the Tablo’s IP?

To theuser86:

You, kind sir, are a genius and a prescient genius as well:

Not only is this router superb, and my problem apparently solved, but today’s news article totally confirms your prior opinion:

Many thanks again!!!
Larry