Recording the wrong show

I have a series recording set up for The Good Wife (Sundays, CBS, 9 pm) Three of the last 4 weeks Tablo has recorded “Madame Secretary” instead. Everything in the recording setup looks good.

Is this because CBS changed the times? For 3 weeks out of 4? 

Thanks!

@Jamesjr54 I have Madame Secretary set to record and it has done so every week without issue. Does your guide data show the right start time for the show? versus what time it is actually showing?

I had that happen a couple times on different shows.  I just assumed the guide wasn’t in agreement with the broadcast station.

-Rodger

The last two weeks overtime sports have pusshed everything later than the guide. It messed up “60 minutes” and “Madame Secretary” for me. I’ve been recording “Good Wife” so I get the last half of “Madame Secretary”.

I have a series recording set up for The Good Wife (Sundays, CBS, 9 pm) Three of the last 4 weeks Tablo has recorded "Madame Secretary" instead. Everything in the recording setup looks good.

Is this because CBS changed the times? For 3 weeks out of 4? 

Thanks!

Yes, CBS keeps delaying their Sunday night shows (for those of us in the East) due to live sports coverage broadcast before prime time. So 60 minutes gets pushed to when Madam Secretary should be (has been between 15 minutes delayed to up to 35 minutes delayed in the last month) and Madam Secretary gets pushed to when the Good Wife should be etc etc. Other PVRs seem to be able to figure out the lineup/time change and compensate.  Maybe the Tablo recording software only works off ‘times’ and not show ID. Or it’s a CBS specific problem. I know CBS has this ‘Eye-alert’ thing (twitter, their website, a ticker bar at the bottom of their broadcast) that tries to keep us abreast of the time delay of the shows but they really only know late Sunday night. If you want to be safe, you should set recording of Madam Secretary and The Good Wife to be sure you catch all of Madam Secretary (you’ll end up watching the remaining section of M.S in the beginning of the Good Wife recording) and also record ‘Battle Creek’ if you want to be sure to catch all of the Good Wife.  Yes, quite the hassle though.  Maybe Tablo Support can confirm whether recording works only off times or Show ID.

We do record based on show ID but it’s difficult if not impossible to update the guide on the fly like this. 

The best way to ensure you get the show you’re looking for is to set a manual recording for a larger time frame on Sunday evenings and fast forward to when the show you’re looking for starts.

@TabloTV in another post I mentioned things like creating bigger separation between guide control and the Tablo device and I also mentioned adding an optional community “majority” option for dynamic guide updates.  We’d need a very active and dynamic set of communities for all regions/channels of course…

Just trying to solve the impossible using the best possible means… lots of humans…

All good ideas @cjcox Will definitely examine those when we get to trying to tackle this particular issue but there are a few other features we’d like to tackle first. :) 

FYI - I spoke to a friend who is on Videotron (I’m in Quebec, Canada) which is one of our major tv cable providers here. She had set to record the Good Wife too and missed the last 15 minutes as well due to the CBS time change.  So it is not just a Tablo problem.

Hope CBS stops moving their shows around.  They are pissing a lot of people off with it. We should all write and complain. :wink:

@wending, IMHO, the only solution to the problem would be a community based one.  But again it requires a very large and motivated community in every region (motivated we got.  Large we’re working on… but that combo in every region is hard).

The reason is that there are going to be unplanned schedule interruptions even outside of live sports programming delays.  For those with PBS, think about what scheduling is like during their fundraising marathons… ick…

Anyhow, it might be possible to have a community majority based schedule that might be able to respond to last minute program changes… even so, it’s not perfect, but might be the best bet.

What about a PRIMETIME ABC, PRIMETIME NBC, PRIMETIME CBS, and PRIMETIME FOX (or give us an option for PRIMETIME on all channels - meaning 7PM - 10 PM Monday - Saturday and 6:00 PM - 10 PM on Sundays (really make weekdays and Saturdays 11 PM and Sundays be 11 PM if a sporting event is scheduled).  Cable has that option, and I assume all of us don’t have cable.

Knowing what days sporting events normally run over and on what channels, being able to increase the record time on certain scheduled recordings would be a great feature. I’m actually a little stunned this wasn’t already there when I went to look for it.