Recording Segmentation

Zippy,

Sorry, I didn’t do my homework on the specific components that are used in the Tablo. However, my theory still stands. Most likely, if a device has multiple independent components embedded in a single die, they still have separate control lines. I don’t have access to the Tablo Schematics as AppleCordCutter pointed out.

Looking briefly for the ones you mentioned above, I am not seeing anything about them being dual or more per chip.

But as I stated earlier, my EE knowledge is pretty old, and I would defer that particular expertise to someone who is more current in the field.

However, if these are the chips being used, take note of the RESET_N line on page 2 of the MxL692 product brief. The MxL603 product brief is not quite as detailed on the pinouts, but I imagine it would have similar pinouts to the MxL692.

It seems that all of the MXL69x and the (which is what the QUAD reportedly uses) as well as the MXL 603, as shown on their site, are single-tuner SoCs.

https://www.maxlinear.com/products/connected-home/satellite-and-terrestrial/fsc-and-narrowband-tuners-demods/terrestrial

I suspect the QUAD is using the MXL692, which is controlled by an I2C (IIC) serial interface, which would likely be common to every Tuner. However, it also has a dedicated RESET line.

https://www.maxlinear.com/pb/mxl692_pb.pdf

So, color me stupid; but from what I see, I suspect that independent RESET/Reinitialization of a single Tuner should definitely be possible.

So, I don’t get it.

Do you see any of the rest lines on the mxl603 or do you see a demodulator - which I think originally was a Panasonic chip.

Any product with WiFi has internal pictures on the FCC application. And superhack was the first to have a good blow up of the original mother board.

And of course tablo is probably just a client on the xcode OS which might be a Linux distro.

I do want to state for the record, that I am very happy that someone took initiative to build these devices, and I am not trying to be just another complainer with no positive suggestions.

I think the Tablo is a wonderful little device, and I hope that through these discussions, we can improve the few significant flaws that have shown themselves.

Thank you Tablo for building this, and letting us “Cut the Cord”, and break free of the forced expensive subscription service of the Content Provider DVRs.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly second that!

Unbelievably, I think the MXL 692 (or at least a variant thereof) is available from DIGI-KEY!!! And Mouser…

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/maxlinear-inc/MXL692-AM-T/1016-2214-ND/9759578?utm_campaign=buynow&utm_medium=aggregator&WT.z_cid=ref_findchips_standard&utm_source=findchips

So, does ANYONE actually HAVE the Datasheet for the Maxlinear/Exar MXL 692???

I suspect in the make-believe-world where this may happen… it wouldn’t be a “typical user” type setting. So I’d reckon in order to get the warning you’d have to enable it in, and that would be the user looking for it. -maybe.

“Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete” (yes, I know I’m mixing OSes, LOL!) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You can always build a Rube Goldberg machine. Some Rube Goldberg proposals go back to weak signal, scheduling conflicts, notification of disk status,etc.

I’ve owned multiple tablos for almost 5 years and don’t have an interest in these kinds of problems. I would prefer they spend their R&D on features. Currently it’s improving commercial skip.

2 Likes

Yes, and you can always use a sledgehammer to swat a fly. But it’s likely a suboptimal solution.

Well, considering the number of participants, and the number of posts in this thread, I would say you are in the minority here. :wink:

1 Like

On this thread, possibly. On the forums, or Tablo users in general, he (and I) are in the majority.

2 Likes

As someone still waiting to begin my first Tablo Experience, I SINCERELY hope that it is as much of a non-issue as you would have me believe!

I’ve had a Quad tuner for four years. I think this has happened at most a couple dozen times. And that’s recordings effected, not individual events.

I expect it happens more for people with marginal reception. The answer to that is to improve the reception. If you can’t improve it to avoid this error, then OTA might not be the right solution.

Well, in my location (Indianapolis, Indiana), with my Antop 400BV antenna, I am in a scenario where there are only a couple of “marginal” channels. So, It may indeed be a non-issue for me.

Here’s hoping!!! :grinning:

I agree. Had mine for 5 yrs and can count the failed recordings on my fingers and half were due to me or power failure. The key is a good antenna and signal strength - period. You can’t do OTA unless you invest in a GOOD antenna and cables. It has NOTHING to do with the Tablo tuners!

1 Like

Had my Tablo more than a year now and never had a problem. The first thing I did before getting a DVR device got an antenna and see what are all the channel available what’s the quality of the signals in my area and read on all the different DVR and went to Tablo and then cancel my pay TV.

2 Likes

When we lived on Ft Meade, between Baltimore and Washington, the problem was severe. So was pixelization. Housing lease prohibited any kind of outside antenna, (or even wire) and since it was a military installation, FCC HOA rules did not apply.

After retirement, we moved and I put up a yagi in the attic. We are just a few miles from the antenna farm, and the terrain is flat. Reception is near-perfect, with just a few pixelization events a year. We haven’t had a crash / forced reset on our OG Quad since.

I’m glad I invested the time and money to upgrade my OTA antenna. I firmly believe the crappy reception provided by the indoor antennas to the be root of my problem.

1 Like

It’s like starving is only an issue, if you don’t have anything to eat.
I too now have the Antop 400-BV antenna, and experienced only 1 segmented recording, in the past month, due to the Tablo crashing due to a weak signal, and rebooting.
With this antenna, I receive twice as many usable channels, and don’t worry about the marginal signal ones any more.
The biggest issue left is occassional, brief, minor pixelation.
That issue I expect to be resolved, once the antenna is installed on the roof.

I have multiple 2-tuner tablos. Both OG’s and duals. Having multiple units increases the possibility of reboot since scheduled recordings are spread across units. I’ve had one segmented (weak signal) recording in the last 5 months.

And that occurred 2-3 weeks ago. And the unit didn’t reboot since a recording on the same unit at the same time completed successfully.

Of course I had 4 stations repack at the end of March and if you use a good signal meter I can see strange S/N ratio fluctuations at specific times rotating to different channels. At least 3 of these channels are upgrading their equipment. During the evening these channels are indicating not only higher signal strength but also higher S/N ratios.

He’s not.