Recording Quality - 720p Roku/Chromecast

There is a new recording quality called “720p-Roku/Chromecast”. What is the difference? And how will this affect if I use Roku, web app, iOS app, and android app?

There’s a whole bunch of great updates with this new firmware. 

Excellent question.

Yea I second a “much more detailed” explanation of the difference and what is unique about this Roku/Chromecast option… We run a mixed household of AppleTV, iPads, computers and Roku’s what are the negatives of using that setting vs the default (recommended) 720 setting? 

I hope this fixes the loading issue with the roku. I have two roku 3 and a newer router and 30 meg internet. I shouldn’t be having this much trouble watching a tv show.

Chromecast still doesn't stream properly after updating to 2.1.1.16 and the Android application to 1.1.2.0.0

Curious why Chromecast needs a different recording rate when it works perfectly when playing to an external application "Yaste" and using the Yatse remote player plugin to send to the Chromecast.

Starting to think the developers are on a wild goose chase.
The Chromecast is capable of 10 Mbps, well below the Tablo's default 720p rate. The Chromecast shouldn't need a dumbed down stream to get it working properly.

@guck11 its a lower bitrate 720p stream that I’m guessing is their to help if you don’t have a great wireless signal to your roku/chromecast

@ChrisWilkes @ericgus @RFSox @guck11

In a nutshell: What @Davidvr said.

With a little more detail:

This new streaming quality is aimed at users of HDMI streaming devices like Roku and Chromecast. These devices can sometimes stutter when being fed video at high bitrates. If you have experienced stuttering with your Roku or Chromecast device, we recommend trying this new recording quality option as a solution.

There's a reason we did it this way, and that's because the Tablo's stream is very, very different from streaming services like Netflix (and Yaste, looking at you @ChrisWilkes).

Here's why:

Services like Netflix will downgrade the quality of your stream consistently if your network has trouble keeping up - and you won't receive a disclaimer or message at all. So you could be setting the video quality to "HD" or "1080", but this is a only a 'preference', and the quality of your stream will take a nose dive if Netflix sees that your network can't handle it. 

In effect the Netflix stream automatically switches to lower bitrates if the connection is poor. Since the Tablo processes the video in real time, it cannot create multiple versions of the video at all possible bit rates and records and streams video at the bitrate you select in the Tablo Settings tab. 

This is why we've added a lower bitrate for the Roku and Chromecast, because they both have a relatively 'low' bitrate acceptance (albeit for different reasons). Some people may notice a difference in the quality of these streams, others may not. I'd recommend you test it with your own devices (preferably with Chromecasts and Rokus, if you're effected by buffering) and let us know your thoughts.

With this new record setting Chromecast streaming from Tablo is acceptable, for the first time since the initial product firmware release. Seems you are finally tailoring the platform for the devices it is to be used on. Kudos. Now, please tailor the apps for then as well.
With that said, i never had stuttering issues, Chromecast would freeze up when skipping or not even initiate playback… Either way, always leading to a long timeout and connection drop.

The good: Chromecast startup and skipping are now in the 5-8 second mark, per event… down from 15-25 seconds.

The bad: only new recordings with the Roku/Chromecast 720p setting benefit, old recordings still take forever, are unreliable, and freeze the connection eventually.

More bad: the Web app changes have taken away the ability to cast from the android phone platform. Chromecast continues to be a second class citizen in the Tablo UI world. Yes yes, thanks for the persistence cast state in the android tablet app finally… But I never wanted to use two hands and a 10 tablet to control my TV… So thanks for nothing.

@TabloSupport,

Re: HDMI streaming devices like Roku and Chromecast

You lumping all Rokus into this… or just the Roku HDMI sticks?

Speaking of using two hands to control a TV via 10 tablet… Why don’t you put big analog dials or push buttons on the tablet UI when casting.
That’s the era this is harkening back too. If you could find a way to make me have to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channel when casting to Chromecast, that would be real nostalgia!

In all seriousness, do away with the forced landscape mode in the tablet app. Your app is the only exception to my rule, in which I immediately uninstall and demand a refund for any android app that forces a single device orientation. That demonstrates such poor coding maturity and insults the users.

@Cedarrapidsboy It’s not sorted by device(s), it’s just a setting with a different bitrate geared towards devices like the Chromecast and Roku. 

No devices are exempted here - you can use (or not use) this setting just to try the lower bitrate to see if it helps any of your device(s) if you wanted.

@TabloSupport,

Cool. Now, what if this worked a bit like Plex? When you went to play the video you could play it as recorded (as-is). But, you also give a menu option to choose a bitrate (similar to how you can tell Plex to transcode instead of direct play). Tablo essentially already does this for Tablo Connect - it uses a tuner to step down the stream to a lower bit rate. The playback option on the local network could do the same - the user just needs to accept that a tuner will be used for playback.

@cedarrapidsboy It’s an intriguing idea, something we’ve looked at. The issue is that on the Tablo you’ll eventually run out of transcoders  - since it’s a DVR. Plex doesn’t have this problem because it can transcode all day, since it’s using your desktop.

@TabloSupport,

Re: HDMI streaming devices like Roku and Chromecast

You lumping all Rokus into this… or just the Roku HDMI sticks?

I agree the setting should have a different name like “Lower Bitrate 720P”. My hardwired Roku 3 has been flawless with Tablo streaming. New users of Tablo/Roku 3 might think this setting is nessesary. 

Where is the @all button? The good news is that you can use plex to run the video through and benefit from it transcoding in realtime to what your network can handle. I’ve never used the chrome cast (I’ve stuck to the roku because I like having a real remote) but I understand casting works well from plex.

@TabloSupport does not explain why Tablo streaming to Chromecast works perfectly when playing to an external application “Yaste” and using the Yatse remote player plugin to send to the Chromecast. Yaste does not transcode.

@TabloSupport – Ah! … thank you for the detailed explination … 

@ChrisWilkes got any special settings for Yaste to share, I just bought the Yaste streaming feature but it hangs in the same places as when I use chrome. Which sucks.

@ChrisWilkes Not sure what Yaste does, to be honest  - they could using ‘adaptive’ bitrates, or just further compressing the stream in a different way. We’ll take a look at it.

@Thumbs I did have one hang issue when using Tablo >  Yaste > Chromecast but I am fairly confident it was a low signal tunner issue and was able to skip over the “bad spot” and zero issues for the remainder of the hour long program.

@TabloSupport problem is somewhat resolved. I was not aware of a new record quality setting for the Chromecast, has been flawless the past two evenings after changing it, Thanks!!!
I don’t believe Yaste does any transcoding/compressing/re-wrapping/etc. I can send to Chromecast, power off the tablet and the stream will keep playing. There is no device on the network besides the Tablo and Chromecast and the Chromecast will continue to stream.   

Now I just need the “Delete Series” feature, I have over a Terabyte of programs that I can’t stream, not a big issue, I’ll tell my son how I got this “new game” and see how far he gets before he figures out I am pulling his leg.

A wipe drive clean feature would be nice too,  

Anyone know if I pull out the drive and format it, will my record schedules be lost?

Thanks again!