Recording abruptly stops

On two different occasions now, I’ve had a scheduled recording that only recorded half the show. Most recently, the new episode of Agents of SHIELD shows that it runs from 9 PM to 10 PM in the description, but it only recorded the first 22 minutes. The picture quality was rock solid, so I don’t think it was a signal issue. Any ideas?

Possibly a HDD disconnect issue.

What is the make and model of the HDD connected to the Tablo?

It’s a Toshiba Canivo Basics 2 TB. It doesn’t seem like a drive problem though, because most shows are fine. It seems kind of random.

Can you connect the HDD to your computer (PC rather than Mac preferably), and update the firmware on the HDD? This usually helps a lot of people with recordings that end early due to HDD disconnects.

Huh, hadn’t thought of that. I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

Well… so much for that idea. Unless my Google-fu is really off today, it appears Toshiba doesn’t offer any firmware updates for this drive. Any other suggestions, folks?

Just discovered another recording from a different network that recorded 5 minutes of an hour-long program. No blips in playback. Just one second it’s playing, the next it’s done. I think I’ll open a support case. I really want to like this product, but this is frustrating.

My guess is they will say it is a hard drive disconnect issue, and suggest that you either try a different Hard drive, or try out the firmware build that is currently in beta.

For those that are curious, support determined that it’s most likely a cabling issue. Apparently the USB cable that ships with newer Toshiba Canivo drives doesn’t make a solid connection with the Tablo unit, causing it to lose communication. They suggested swapping the cable and said they tested successfully with a Monoprice replacement.

Giving it a whirl with another cable I have handy and we’ll see what happens!

1 Like