Questions/Answers for a new cord cutter

What playback device are you using?

On the Fire TV using the Tablo app v2.1 (not the preview app), once you go to options there are the following fields:

Record (you can set this to None, All, New)
Keep (default is set to Auto)
Channel (this is the one you want to edit)
Start (default is On Time)
Stop (default in On Time)

Use Defaults

I am using the new 2020 Firestick. My Tablo is Ver 2.2.30

Bill

Go to the “Scheduled” section, then select the show, take a screenshot / photo of the options you see.

Which Tablo app are you running though? Version 2.2.30 is the firmware version on the Tablo, not the app version.

I am using Tablo app V2.1_eacbfe83c

I went to Scheduled programs and selected the program I want to designate a channel for. Under options there are two choices. Start and Stop times can be adjusted. That is all that is available under Options. We set this program to record “All New Episodes”.

Bill

Here is the screenshot of the program in question taken from the Scheduled screen.

Bill

Perhaps you selected ‘Options’ from the individual episode in your upcoming recording schedule, rather than from the series recording schedule itself. I say this since your screenshot shows the episode name.

I would agree. The Options you want is the options for the series record, not for the specific episode. At the series record level you should have channel as an additional option you can specify.

Thank you so much for your help. That worked fine and now it is recording on the channel we want it to.

I am so grateful for this forum and all the folks who are so willing to help.

Happy New Year,
Bill

I have been thinking of moving my Tablo from the basement where it is hard connected to my router by ethernet cable to the first floor where we have the most streaming issues. I could use the now unused coax cable left over from the Rogers installation and use the

2 PACK - DIRECTV Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter - Third Generation (with 2 AC Power Supplies)

To connect it to the router. Am I dreaming or would this effectively keep my Tablo hard wired to the router and improve my WIFI at the Firestick which is furthest from the router?

Bill

Is the Firestick to which you refer the device with the most streaming issues that you talk about?

If so, moving the Tablo won’t really resolve any connectivity issues because the Firestick is connecting to the Tablo via the router, not directly, and your router would still be in the basement.

If you’re having Wifi issues you need to move the router, not just the Tablo.

Would a WIFI extender be a better idea?

Bill

Better would be to use that cable and the DECA adapters to add another Wifi access point upstairs. Wifi extenders depend on already having good wifi at the location you’re putting them.

With the coaxial cable, why can’t you move the internet modem, router and Tablo close to the Fire TV Stick?

Your internet is cable internet right? Not DSL which uses a telephone line.

This is not possible as the antenna coax enters the basement where the router is located.

“Better would be to use that cable and the DECA adapters to add another Wifi access point upstairs. Wifi extenders depend on already having good wifi at the location you’re putting them.”

So that would provide an Ethernet connector upstairs, right? What would I then use it for?

Sorry for basic questions but I am new to networks.

Bill

You can also buy a USB to Ethernet adapter for the Fire TV Stick and with the DECA adapters you can “hard wire” your Fire TV Stick to your router. This will eliminate the use of WiFi.

Make sure to buy the DECA adapters with power supplies.

See links below for both devices.

https://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B01LXP5TXI/

https://www.amazon.ca/PACK-Broadband-Ethernet-Generation-Supplies/dp/B01AYMGPIO/

How were you going to originally move the Tablo to the Fire TV location and still connect the OTA antenna coaxial cable to the Tablo?

I understand using the DECA adapters to hard wire the Tablo to the router in the basement via the coaxial cable. But what coaxial cable were you going to use for the OTA antenna to the Tablo in its new location?

Oops , forgot the antenna.Can’t move the Tablo.

Will this provide a stronger signal from the Tablo than WIFI as they would both be hard wired to the Tablo? Just thinking about occasional buffering we get on this particular firestick.

Bill