Questions/Answers for a new cord cutter

Thanks for your speedy answers. I will set it on 5 GHz. I set the other Tablo settings to 1080p and will see if there is any buffering tonight when we watch TV.

Bill

So you can have your router broadcast 2 separate WiFi networks, one for the 2.4 GHz band and one for the 5 GHz band. Then on each device you can choose which network to connect to,

So you can connect all devices such as computer, smartphone or tablet to the 5 GHz network. And then you can connect legacy devices such as a smart thermostat or WiFi plug to the 2.4 GHz network.

No need to disable the 2.4 GHz network. Just give them different names.

We only have the following devices on WIFI which are all working well now.

iPhone
Ipad
Imac

Not as tech savvy as most of you guys.
Bill

Not yet… look how far you’ve come since your initial post! With just a clue and hope, to a functional system - tweaking things to getting it just right!

Ya, I guess you are right and I have you and all the others who assisted me to thank. A good friend of mine wants to do the same but seriously doubts his tech ability. I told him about this forum and Tablo.

I have noticed a little buffering in the CBS NEWS app when moving around in the app. Not sure what that is about.

I will keep you all posted of how it goes from here.

Thanks again,
Bill

This is a different and separate app than the Tablo app though?

Yup. Just wondering why you get occasional buffering on streamed apps like CBC Gem and Stack TV and CBS News.

With the Fire TV Sticks now hard wired this is likely an internet speed issue, or just an issue with the CBC stream as you are streaming it from their servers over the internet.

I now have the iPad, iPhone and iMac all on 5 Ghz while the rest of the network is hard wired. Everything is operating well. The Tablo is now set to 1080p and the picture quality is excellent.

All is well for now.

Tablo cut off my trial period for the 2 week grid without notice on the weekend and I lost all my recording settings. Great way to impress new customers.

Thanks to all again,
Bill

If you subscribe to the guide subscription the recording settings will re-appear without the need to set it all up again.

Ok, so I have my Tablo hard wired to my router and my Firesticks the same. Why does it take so long for the guide to refresh every time I enter the Tablo app for Live TV? It is even slow refreshing if you advance forward a day or two. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

Try turning off the 14 day live TV grid and see if that helps the speed. See link below.

I assumed that the Tablo guide data is stored on the hard drive and updated every night while we sleep. I just can’t see why it takes so long to load the data from the drive to the guide every time you enter the app?

Bill

Guide data and configuration setting are stored internally on the tablo device, recording data is stored on the drive. It’s updated during “maintenance mode” -

I believe the load time had to do with the process time of the device you’re using. If you read somewhere about when the 14 day come along is select devices… It takes time to load and get processed, which, I believe, not all devices/apps have to ability to go beyond 24hrs in the live grid.

There are posts some user have more issues than others, lots of variables at play.

Ok, so here is another question which evades me. There are settings for “Picture Quality” on my Samsung Smart TV, My Firestick ( 2021 ) version, and My Tablo Settings. Which one takes priority and how do you ensure the best possible picture image with three different setting areas?

Regards to all,
Bill

Are these the settings in the Tablo app on the Samsung TV? Maybe a screenshot / photo of the screen you’re referring to would help.

The setting on your Samsung TV (outside of the Tablo app) has no direct effect on the recording quality of the Tablo, so you can change it until you like what you see.

I know tablo has “Recording Quality” settings. I have TVs from different vendors, have discovered they have their own “names” for features/settings - which may be useful or for marketing. Not sure about Firestick settings.

As for “best possible picture image”… in the end that’s your decision. Meaning if there were one absolute setting for the ultimate image quality for every setting, everyone would would agree on, there would be no options (that’s kind of how I see it).

As suggested - change and tweak things until your obsession gets the best of you, or you finally get it just right.

Thanks for the replies. I changed the setting on my Samsung TV which was “Dynamic” picture to “Natural” and the picture is now what we were expecting. I will try this for awhile.

Thanks,
Bill

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.