Quad HDMI recording limitation

Even the TV connected DVRs such as the HDMI units shouldn’t be used with no internet connection ever. You need internet sometimes.

I should be explicit then, you can have reliable slow internet, and if your internet is just slow it shouldn’t be a reason to not get a network connected DVR.

If you have unreliable internet where it’s not working or disconnected 50% of the time then yes consider another option.

1 Like

My old DVR+ had an electronic program Guide. When its Guide system died, it would pull the 2-week program Guide from the broadcast signal. I switched to that technique for several weeks before I abandoned it entirely and got the Tablo Dual HDMI.

I went with the Dual HDMI version of the Tablo because I just wanted to plug the TV into the Tablo without a lot of other network dongles. My whole house is wired with Cat5e, but resetting all of the little dongle boxes scattered about when they misbehave is something that I wanted to avoid.

I don’t think that the Tablo can pull the program guide from the broadcast signal (but I haven’t actually tested this by unplugging my ethernet cable from it).

Scott

1 Like

Correct, the Tablo does not use the broadcast signal data (PSIP - Program and System Information Protocol - Wikipedia) at all.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.