Plex and HDHomerun

Wouldn’t I also need to split my antenna?

https://www.plex.tv/blog/air-human-plex-dvr-divine/

Hmm…

What about live TV or time-shifting? It is not currently possible to watch TV live or time-shift it. It’s an area we’re interested in.

Why doesn’t Plex support ANY TV tuner (PCI, USB, LAN, etc) like MythTV or WMC? I’ve got two spare Hauppauge PCI tuners sitting idle that I could put into a Plex server without having to buy HDHomerun. Does Plex have a technical limitation on tuner types?

You can also use an NVIDIA Shield as the Plex Server, and run the Plex app on the very same device.

2 Likes

They have noted Silicon Dust as a launch partner. They have indicated that support for other devices will likely come later.

What tuners are supported? Plex currently works with the SiliconDust HDHomeRun (HDHR) line of digital tuners (see details). We’ll likely add support for more devices over time.

It is a beta after all.

Since support for PCI and USB tuners has been going on for years, it would not have been that difficult to include that in a beta. But then Plex + internal tuner would have made the HDHomerun irrelevant. Seems like this is also a campaign for selling HDHomeruns…

Yeah god forbid companies try to make a buck

1 Like

Curious what this means for SiliconDust’s own DVR software development…

“Later” support for other tuners probably means “until” that time that SiliconDust comes out with their own DVR software. Then when there’s competition between the two, expect to see a sudden onrush of other tuner support…

Notice the word “likely” as in “we’ll likely add.” Not a ringing endoresement! I’m not sure Plex wants to be in the television real-time viewing business leaving that side up to HDHomerun. To get into live TV viewing means developing a whole other side (and a bushel of problems). Even if they added support for other tuners, it may not mean live viewing but simply scheduled recording.

Or you know, its not a conspiracy and its just a typical “under promise, over deliver”

You know, like that 5.1 audio from Tablo.

1 Like

Until Plex can support live TV and time-shifting…I think there’s plenty of room for both Tablo and Plex in my ecosystem. I’ve always primarily used Tablo as a place-shifting device rather than a DVR. I have a HDHR on the way to try things out in Plex.

1 Like

Same for me. But I’m confident live tv/time-shifting will come either via Plex or Android 7.0 on the Shield.

At which point my Tablo will find a new owner.

1 Like

Well, hit a snag right off the bat. Plex supports the HD HomeRun HDHR4-2US… Of course my old tuner is a HDHR3-2US

Again, I don’t see this as a clear and present danger to Tablo

1 Like

Oh also, a two tuner will set me back $120-$180 depending on model… That isn’t a price I can absorb for a test at this time. Maybe in the future.

(according to something I saw on the Plex Forum the HDHR3-2US is Not Likely to be supported)

Prices have spiked everywhere. The connect used to be like $80.

Thats good to know … I need to check what mine is. I only keep it around for futzing with the antenna (I got it pretty dirty cheap on amazon)

I have Plex and a Plex Pass and used to have HDHomeRun tuners as well. I think it is good that Plex is getting a DVR option, but without live TV, it is a limited option - especially if you are a sports fan. I suspect the live TV is a bit harder to get functional in a streaming environment.

HDHomeRun has been working on their DVR for over a year now and still hasn’t come to market with that product, so it seems like this Plex solution may be an interim solution for them. I used to use Plex with HDHomeRun and Windows Media Server and MCEBuddy to turn Plex into a viewer for my recorded content way before I even cut the cord, so a Plex app to play recorded content alone is not that revolutionary.

What Plex could never do was the Live TV aspect. The only LiveTV option through Plex was its Tablo channel. So before Tablo, I had to connect to Windows Media Center for Live TV, which meant switching inputs and a direct connection to the TV (or the use of a media center extender). So this becomes a truly marketable/viable solution when they get Live TV and DVR in one app and allow setting of records and all from the apps directly. But even HDHomeRun’s own apps for watching Live TV were pretty unreliable and of questionable quality in my experience (at least they were back then) and they didn’t have pause capability (because there was no DVR).

Here’s a prediction: Plex will never, on its own, supply a live TV viewing function. It will concentrate on what it does best - backend server. In any case, MediaPortal is a better option for live TV viewing and multiple tuner support. You can forget about Plex being a competitor to Tablo for live viewing EVER.

As usual there is an initial rush of optimism about a product and then reality sets in about it’s true functionality and directions. And of course this “optimism” is always is pitted against what Tablo does or does not do with promises of “abandoning ship” “as soon as” X function arrives and apocalyptic notions of Tablo’s future.

We’ll see if some of these “prophets” are still around next year using their Tablos…LOL

Yeah, I’m not sure exactly what the typical Tablo customer is looking for &/or how they use their Tablo. But I’m not interested in viewing my content on mobile devices &/or computers. I purchased a 4-tuner Tablo because I dumped the traditional cable company for PS Vue & wanted something to act as a whole home DVR system for my OTA content.

Tablo provides this nicely through the use of my Fire TV devices which means I never have to switch inputs. Everything from my cable channels, OTA channels, Netflix & Amazon prime content is all accessed from my Fire TV devices.

I am a sports fan & that is why I cannot do without cable channels & live viewing.