Please explain how this works

I connected my Tablo via Ethernet, and I understand that it will now send my OTA signal via WiFi to my TV’s. However if my TV’s are also connected via Ethernet, please explain how the OTA signal gets transmitted to my Ethernet connected TV’s, which have no WiFi capability. I am using Roku’s on all TV’s connected via Ethernet, using the Tablo app. They are older TV’s without WiFi.
Thanks!
Len

When the Tablo serves up a “video stream”, it’s just that. It could be a recorded show, or “Live TV”.

OTA tuning is done by the Tablo, and “Live TV” or a recording takes the data to a transcoded format on storage and the “video stream” presented by the Tablo to your network device comes from that.

(I’m talking about the traditional style Tablo devices, not the Tablo Engine device)

So, it’s sort of wrong to say Tablo presents OTA signal to your end device. It’s a video streamer where the Tablo itself has OTA tuners (and antenna connection) and the ability to take that data to a streaming format for viewing on your end device.

1 Like

And the same process happens regardless of whether the devices connected to the TVs are connected via wifi or ethernet. If all your devices are connected via ethernet it will use ethernet. The key is everything needs to be on the same network to pair initially.

1 Like

If the Tablo is connected via ethernet to your router, and your streamer boxes (or TVs) are also connected via ethernet, then Wifi isn’t used at all. The Tablo does not always use Wifi to send the video stream (not really the OTA signal).

1 Like

Thanks for all the info guys!
Everything is working great via Powerlines. :grinning:
Thanks!
Len

1 Like

That is fantastic!