Pixelation, signal shows five green dots

Global is never a problem per se, it’s consistent in that it ALWAYS overdrives my tuner, LOL… Pixelation + 5 green dots, pretty much always.

Oh for the love of pete… 1/2 dozen different cables, 3 different antennas, in multiple locations and orientations, attenuators, 2 different hard drives… what’s left? Rescan after rescan…

So What’s the one common denominator? The Tablo 4.

On a lark, I ordered the New Tablo Quad… guess what?

So on the same CS-2v antenna, everything comes up 5 green-dots, on every single rescan in the past week, NO pixelation anywhere on any channels, no tuner overdrive or dropped signals.

I guess I’ll be keeping the Quad and be putting a hammer to the frustrating 4.

1 Like

Is your OG Tablo 4 tuner still under warranty? If yes, you could get it replaced if it’s in fact faulty.

Yeah, I’ve had it for 3 years now, at least. Unbeknownst to me it’s probably been flaky since the very beginning, leading to spits and spurts of troubleshooting on my part, (ie. crawling in the attic, and running new cable, repositioning antennas, etc. etc.).

I should have gone to town on it day-1 but I still have cable-tv so no great incentive to get it sorted… until a few month ago when my cable supplier expired all my rebates and my cable bill shot through the roof… right near where I installed my antenna! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, thanks to the community for helping me out with all your great suggestions! Very grateful.

Guys, it has been pointed out before, but remember that “5 dots” indicates good signal STRENGTH. It does not mean a thing as far as the quality of said signal.

My best guess is that a lot of people having problems with their antenna are actually having quality issues, not quantity. I replaced my flat antennas with Antop 215B & 400B models and was simply amazed at how much they brought to the game. Now, the previous ones weren’t cheap nor “B” grade (“C”?) models. One was a Mohu Curve, albeit 5 years old and one was an Antennas Direct Eclipse. Both highly rated but somewhat dated technology / techniques.

I now have rock solid signals on both the TV and the Tablo. It makes a difference - a HUGE difference! Those models aren’t cheap, but look for refurb and open box. I found my AT-400B for $48 + tax on Amazon and they still have about a dozen. For some reason there are three separate listings for 400B model, and only one has the Open Box listed at $60 and change with “20% off at checkout” which yields the $48.xx price. My AT215BB was $35 on eBay.