OR a computer

Hi. I’m new to the forum and I noticed in the second bullet point in the What Do I Need To Use Tablo? section that it says:

“an iPad running Apple iOS7+ OR an Android tablet with a 7” + screen running Android 4.1 OR a computer."

Okay, unfortunately, our household doesn’t keep up with all of the latest electronics devices, and unfortunately, we neither have an iPad or an Android tablet. However, we do have a computer. Therefore, according to the quote above, would we still be able to use Tablo with only a computer?

Thank you in advance for your answers. :slight_smile:

Yes, I don’t have an ipad or android tablet. Setup everything on my computer, no problems.

iPad requirement for setup is a residual “required item” from long ago.  I think that was eliminated right after I got my first Tablo back in Marchish i think…

Setup via chrome… done

@Bobby_A -  Max and Pix are correct. We added setup via our web app several months back. If you have any other questions, let us know. :) 

Thanks, all. And hopefully this thread will help other people who may have overlooked that Tablo can be ran by a computer.

Also, I haven’t purchased Tablo yet(although, I very likely will), but I wanted to ask: In Chapter 4 - First Time Setup of the User Manual/Tablo User Guide at this site, are these the instructions for using a computer where you connect “the Ethernet cable from your router to the connector on the rear of the Tablo unit”? And if so, what if you have wifi set up on your computer? Would that mean that you should scroll down the page a little until you get to the “Connecting Using Wi-Fi” section?

Although, I think that I may have my questions answered(or partially answered) after clicking on the Apps page and seeing the “Web-based App.” :slight_smile:

@Bobby_A - Connect via WiFi is when your TABLO is on WiFi vs. hardwired. Your computer can be hardwired or on WiFi during setup, it doesn’t really matter. 

@Bobby_A - Connect via WiFi is when your TABLO is on WiFi vs. hardwired. Your computer can be hardwired or on WiFi during setup, it doesn't really matter. 

So I guess the difference is if your computer is on wifi, it can send the Tablo signal to different devices, and devices away from home? Whereas, if your computer is hardwired, it can only send the Tablo signal to your television??? Or what is the difference? :) 

Think of the Tablo like a media server. A PC is just a client, as is a tablet, smartphone, Roku, or AppleTv. Each client is independent of the others.

Your home network distributes the Tablo content to all the clients. The Tablo can be wired or wireless, as can each client. It can also send the content to a remote network via Tablo Connect, as long as the remote device had connected to the Tablo on the home network previously.

Sometimes playback slows down about 10-15% on my puter but I think it probably doesn’t have enough megabytes for the Tablo because it is an old dinasour, the reclusive, slow and ugly Vistasaourus.  It’s a Gateway, about 8 or 9 years old.  Any suggestions what I need in a new puter? 

Any modern PC or laptop should do.  Even a Chromebook should be fine.

Like the first poster in this thread, I do not have a current tablet (just the 1st gen iPad, which can’t upgrade iOS beyond 6). Not really eager to incur another expense to operate the Tablo.

But what I’m still unclear about is whether a tablet is absolutely essential when using with Roku or AppleTV. Can’t you just navigate the app for each device using the DEVICE’S remote?

[Perhaps I should have started a new thread for this one.]

@MDanger, you need a PC or a tablet to set up the Tablo  and modify settings.  So as long as you have a PC, you don’t need a tablet.

The Roku is controlled completely by its own remote.  AppleTv uses Airplay, so a secondary device is needed (I don’t have one, so I don’t know what different kinds of devices can be used).

@MDanger Anything that can access the web app will give you access - so you could this with a PC, tablet, smartphone, etc.

@snowcat Apple TV can use Airplay from iPhones, iPads and Macs.
Think of the Tablo like a media server. A PC is just a client, as is a tablet, smartphone, Roku, or AppleTv. Each client is independent of the others.

Your home network distributes the Tablo content to all the clients. The Tablo can be wired or wireless, as can each client. It can also send the content to a remote network via Tablo Connect, as long as the remote device had connected to the Tablo on the home network previously.

Sorry for taking so long to response to you, snowcat. Also, if I’m understanding you correctly, the only device that we currently have is an HDTV. Therefore, if our HDTV is a remote device, then how does it connect to the Tablo on the home network?

Also, you said that my, “home network distributes the Tablo content to all the clients,” therefore, how does my home network distribute the Tablo content to all the clients?

Also, were about to add Wifi to our computer and purchase the Tablo(can’t wait, cant’ wait! …Oops! Sorry), :"> therefore, I know that TabloTV said that it doesn’t really matter if my computer is hardwired or on WiFi during setup, but since we’ll be getting Wifi, should we just go ahead and set up Tablo on WiFi.(Also, my kind of dumb questions about WiFi is because WiFi is new to us, therefore, we are a bit clueless about WiFi and aren’t really sure what connecting to Tablo via WiFi means.) :">

Gosh @Bobby_A you might be disappointed to hear that Tablo has no way to connect directly to a TV… it instead, connects to a smart device which is connected to your TV… a Roku, a Chromecast, OR a computer.

While Tablo works with these TV “smart connected” devices, it’s core function is a tablet playback solution OR for playback on a modern computer with the Chrome browser. As evident by the documentation you are referencing.

There are several ways to get Tablo on a TV and likely even more ways coming in the future but as it stands now, you need to plan to connect your computer (HDMI output) to you TV (via a long HDMI cable) OR plan to buy a Roku or Chromecast device to plug into your TV for Tablo playback.

Roku is the most most stable TV solution for Tablo (so far) and comes with its own remote, requires a credit card to be on file with Roku (for media purchases within all the other media services it offers for you to interact with), and will have it’s own interface you’ll need to navigate to launch the Roku-Tablo app. You will still need your computer for setup and to manage Tablo device settings/updates, ongoing.

That’s pretty much all the surprises you need to know about. So plan to either buy a long HDMI cable or a Roku if you intend to playback Tablo on your TV. enjoy

Something was bugging me about the advice I gave here… Then I realized it may be, you have an old computer too. If that’s the case, the only way Tablo will work in your scenario is if you buy a Roku.

If you’re not sure if your computer is too old to play back Tablo video (smoothly) @mention TabloSupport in this thread with your computer specs. Maybe they know or have min specs listed somewhere.

In my case, half of my windows 8 computers can’t playback Tablo videos smoothly. So don’t just assume. Good luck.

@Bobby_A - Feel free to send us a PM or place a ticket with @TabloSupport. We’ll answer all of your questions! 

**Gosh @Bobby_A you might be disappointed to hear that Tablo has no way to connect directly to a TV... it instead, connects to a smart device which is connected to your TV... a Roku, a Chromecast, OR a computer.**
How about a Smart TV?
  **While Tablo works with these TV "smart connected" devices, it's core function is a tablet playback solution OR for playback on a modern computer with the Chrome browser.**
We have a modern computer with the Chrome browser.
**As evident by the documentation you are referencing.

There are several ways to get Tablo on a TV and likely even more ways coming in the future but as it stands now, you need to plan to connect your computer (HDMI output) to you TV (via a long HDMI cable) OR plan to buy a Roku or Chromecast device to plug into your TV for Tablo playback.**

What if we have WiFi on our computer?
   Roku is the most most stable TV solution for Tablo (so far) and comes with its own remote…
Doesn’t Tablo come with its own a remote? We just recently purchased one and we didn’t see a remote in the box.  
 **requires a credit card to be on file with Roku (for media purchases within all the other media services it offers for you to interact with), and will have it’s own interface you’ll need to navigate to launch the Roku-Tablo app. You will still need your computer for setup and to manage Tablo device settings/updates, ongoing.

That’s pretty much all the surprises you need to know about. So plan to either buy a long HDMI cable or a Roku if you intend to playback Tablo on your TV. enjoy**

And what about WiFi?