Optimized for Chrome - why no "Commercial Skip: Ready"

The web app is “optimized for Chrome”. Been trying this trial free commercial skip (nice, since web app missed beta period). Can’t find which recordings have successfully been process and ready with commercial skip. Both Chrome beta -

and Chrome stable -

Same episode listing from Firefox beta channel -

Firefox lets me know!

Even an obscure browser forked from mozilla’s geko Palemoon -

knows when it’s ready!

What’s up with that optimization? Any one using Chrome regularly? with different results?

The web app does get unannounced updates. It’s now 1.9.4 build 984 [202008181147] have been forgetting to track. Last check was in July when it was 1.9.3 build 982 but I wasn’t using com skip.

I don’t use the web app for much beyond scheduling, so I’m not sure what else may be not be as optimized as one may think.

Edge doesn’t have the commercial skip ready message either, though both Chrome and Edge handle commercial skip just fine. It is weird that these other browsers have the message though.

I did spot one difference between the Chrome/Edge browsers and the Firefox browser. While both have the same HTML app version, the user agent (UA) is different.

UA for Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

UA for Chrome:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/85.0.4183.102 Safari/537.36

UA for Edge: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/85.0.4183.102 Safari/537.36 Edg/85.0.564.51

So something in these user agents is preventing the Commercial Skip: Ready message (at least that is my guess)

Didn’t you notice a difference whether or not you were notified com skip was ready?

Think it’s deeper, less optimization. I installed a UA switcher in Google Chrome stable. Tried their default for Firefox and the one you posted…

Chrome still won’t tell me com skip is ready.

It does make a difference, beyond just displaying the UA string. In the settings it tells me Firefox doesn’t support tablo connect.
Yet in the recordings tab, I have a “Most Recent” filter - which Firefox doesn’t have.

It almost seems the UA only has some impact as how the web app actually functions.

It’s double flubbed up. When I switch the UA in Firefox to Chrome — it’s still smart enough to know com skip is ready. Setting tab, thinking it’s Chrome, gives me connect settings. There’s no “Most Recent” filter in recordings.

For me, less optimization over knowing com skip is ready. Still screwy they never announce a web app update along with what’s new / changelog.

I don’t know much about UAs, so glad you were able to switch it out and test. Maybe the Tablo folks will chime in at some point.

If there’s nothing in there that’s customer facing we don’t really see the reason to put out something that just says, ‘bug fixes and performance improvements’, especially since you’re pretty much the only one who notices. :wink:

The truth behind this mystery is that the web and mobile apps have never had the error messages or indicators for commercial skip:

Once enabled in your Tablo’s settings screen, most compatible Tablo apps (Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV) will display commercial skip success or failure messages next to completed recordings.

The the iOS & Android mobile and web apps are compatible with the feature but will NOT show success/failure messages.

1 Like

Thanks for answering. I guess the question is why does Firefox both support commercial skip and show the success/failure messages while the other browsers don’t?

1 Like
  1. yet it does, depending how you access the web app :thinking:
  2. The Knowledge Base Support article titled “Error Messages” tells me it’s about error messages.

For a full overview of the meanings of these error messages, head over to the Tablo Knowledge Base.

If I’m not looking into error messages, how else will I find out?

Automatic Commercial Skip has a section “Automatic Commercial Skip Supported Devices & Details” Really don’t see that as more of a detail and less of an error message? With the same on Tablo Premium Service

I’m not sure this is completely accurate with everything you release – appears there are often announcments, regardless of noticeability.

cause these were so noticeable everyone commented how great they were? …enhancements

“maintenance release” / facing customer? in some cases and again only in some cases Again so many comments how these where were things users found noticeable.

And why the web app allegedly not showing success is considered an error message… if you want to find out it doesn’t tell you - depending how you access it.

I guess come Sept. 30th it won’t matter anymore and for those who have already paid for the service life will go back to normal.

:cry:
Why won’t it matter any more? those using the trial yet to make a decision, who haven’t yet paid and those yet to come – don’t matter :grey_exclamation: :grey_question: :grey_question: :grey_exclamation:
:sob:

Those who have paid, never knew they could access the web app differently and get the error - success message… it may matter to some users.

If you don’t care, so be it, don’t bully those who may …those who matter / those who don’t - defining what normal life may look like

I purchased the CS service almost exactly 8 months ago.

My expectation is that those who have already paid for the service and have issues that they consider problems open a ticket.

I’m much more interested in fixes to “Commercial Skip detection failed”

1 Like

and yet you still refuse to start your own topic and bully with “your problems don’t matter”… and now want to take this topic in another direction.

Have you ever used the web app seeing if com skip is ready on your recordings? Or notice there is no message either way?

Despite support articles stating it “will NOT show success/failure messages” …it can, depending how you access it. Have you seen these messages?

I understand failure as a error message, can you understand success being an error message?

Your expectations may not align with the expectations of others. Its likely you don’t meet the expectations of others as well. You don’t have to be inclusive - but please, keep it to yourself.