Observation about Tablo community

aspergers?

I disagree that once this product is more “mature” the community will be quieter.  Case and point - SageTV forum. SageTV was a VERY stable product for many years and it had one of the most diverse, active, and communal online communities I have ever been a part of. Tablo is shaping up to quickly be right there with it IMO.  I believe that a GREAT product is not only made great by the amazing people that work for and build it, but also in their community and how they interact with the community.

I think tablo will continue to keep this community involved and vibrant.  I know ill be here :slight_smile:

Thanks Tablo!  you guys/gals are awesome.
I disagree that once this product is more "mature" the community will be quieter.  Case and point - SageTV forum. SageTV was a VERY stable product for many years and it had one of the most diverse, active, and communal online communities I have ever been a part of. Tablo is shaping up to quickly be right there with it IMO.  I believe that a GREAT product is not only made great by the amazing people that work for and build it, but also in their community and how they interact with the community.

I think tablo will continue to keep this community involved and vibrant.  I know ill be here :-)

Thanks Tablo!  you guys/gals are awesome.

I hope that it does remain active as you postulate.  The SageTV forum is still pretty active, for a product that has no official support since June 2011.  

I for one love the fact the TABLO team reads, responds and contributes to these forums … a great number of companies which run forums rarely if every actually interact with their end user community the way these guys do … and its a refreshing and very welcome change … which I hope of all things that do eventually change with companies as they grow it be the one thing they always remain doing. 

@PiX64, oh… yes… of course the community could go on… discussion style and type will change though!!

But point well taken.

I’m not a tablo owner. I am looking to cut the cord. I may not be asking in right place but I do have some questions. Why does tablo need the zip code to scan channels? At present I am a directv customer and don’t mind paying for the programming I get, but the near forty a month for equipment is a bit much. Now it is ten for HD another ten for DVR, three for whole home and six for each additional receiver. 

Equipment I do have is an antenna that I can get out of market channels. I have the large outdoors one hundred mile directional I need to add a rotor to pull in some channels. At present directv has the channels I need the rotor for. 
 When I purchase the tablo can I use a seagate backup drive with it? Looks like I will also need to add a Roku to each TV.  I see the tablo can use up too 2t hard drive. I have the genie and it has a 1t recording available. With the 250 or so channel package, I have never run out of space.
 Another question that apparently isn’t a concern for tablo is internet speed and data cap. At present I don’t have a cap but only have a 1.5 mpbs. I do want more programming than what is available OTA. I don’t want to exchange cable expense for internet then left wanting better programming. Like most subscribers I only watch about a tenth of the channels available. I watch very little network tv. Local news, and an a few sports that are available.
 Can anyone here tell me why I can record programming from Directv but can’t from netflix? With directv s on demand I can download a program in HD with only 1.5mpbs but need ten times that for netflix? I may have to wait a couple hours for on demand to download enough to be able to watch without buffering. 
 Slow internet in my area is 1.5 for 35.00, 3.0 is 55.00,  6.0-75, and 12 for 95.00.
 You see my confusion pay dtv for programming or internet for speed? Now with dtv set top box am21 I can record out of market channels.
 If anyone has some good advice would be grateful for it!   
If you look at the list I posted you will see very few items have been done. Now the next question is, how many of those does Tablo even intend to do? Since they refuse to post a roadmap or tell us all the features they are working on it is hard to know.

Again, I am a Tablo supporter, but the lack of knowing makes me worried.

Not posting a road map is standard practice for non-open source products.  None of the vendors I deal with every day post road maps.  Each have their reasons, but chief among them is promising something on date Y that cannot be delivered on date Y.  Setting the expectation and not meeting is far far worse, than not setting an expectation at all.

@luker totally understand, but take a look at my list: http://jettsoft.com/TabloRequests.htm

I posted this in the forum in September, but a lot of the things have been asked for way before that…

Just get concerned with the speed of development and implementation of some of them that seem like easy gets. I have been in development for many years and have been under pressure by myself to get things out at a MUCH faster pace than Tablo is currently doing. And yes, I understand they do not want to catch bugs before going out, but I feel the timeline is really long right now.
I for one love the fact the TABLO team reads, responds and contributes to these forums .. a great number of companies which run forums rarely if every actually interact with their end user community the way these guys do .. and its a refreshing and very welcome change .. which I hope of all things that do eventually change with companies as they grow it be the one thing they always remain doing. 

Thanks for the kudos! 

One of my personal priorities is to maintain open and frequent communication with our users. As long as I’m here, I’ll be making sure we show you guys the love you deserve. 

@bigh73521, let me try to answer some of your questions.

1. Zip code - it is needed mainly for the channel guide info.  Tablo has a third party that provides the guide info, and the zip code helps identify which channels are in your area.

2. There is a sticky thread on this forum about good and bad hard drives.  Getting the right hard drive seems to be the biggest struggle with getting a Tablo working, and hopefully that thread can help some.

3. Rokus are definitely the easiest way to play shows on your TV.  When the new Roku interface comes out in a month or two, it will make the experience even better.

4. You are correct that internet speed isn’t very important for the Tablo, as long as you aren’t using Tablo Connect to play shows outside of your home.  It just uses the internet for guide data once every morning, and it briefly uses it if you use a web app to connect.

5. Netflix is designed to be a streaming service.  It doesn’t matter where you are, as long as you have internet access, you can play Netflix shows.  DirecTv is a service for your home, so it has different rules.

I am going to agree that tablo is moving slow, they keep saying things are getting close and almost done but firmware releases are more than a month apart. I wouldn’t mind all the bugs and issues if they got stomped out quickly but the stability of the tablo leaves something to be desired not to mention all of the burning features that should have been launch features.

Also to add to @snowcat answers:

If DIrectTV is like Bell’s Satelite offering their HD programming is compressed HD, meaning the bit rate you receive and therefore record is many many times lower than what is received by your antenna.  

On Netflix (at least in Canada) you can set the video quality that is streamed to your device in your account settings.  So for those that don’t want to eat into a cap or have slower speeds this helps immmensely.