"No Storage Connected" after updating to Tablo Firmware Release 2.2.30

Upon updating to Tablo Firmware Release 2.2.30, “No Storage Connected” is indicated, and I am not able to access recordings.

What can be done to fix this? I’m afraid to restart and/or power down the Tablo for fear everything may be lost forever.

1 Like

After I updated to 2.2.30 it showed no storage when I first went into the web interface, but then the HD appeared after a minute or so. Maybe some housekeeping activities occur after the upgrade?

1 Like

Good thinking. I’ve been hoping that is true.

I plan to sit tight and cross my fingers (and keep my eye on this forum!)

Thanks, mbellaire!

Now that I think about it, it seems to me that this has happened to me before with a previous firmware upgrade a few years ago. In that case restarting the Tablo fixed the issue. Could also try unplugging and replugging the drive if using USB.

I did a fast tap of the blue button to reboot the Tablo.

Now, I’m getting this notification: “Your storage must be formatted before Tablo can use it for recordings.”

Hmm, that doesn’t sound promising. Try actually powering off the Tablo (and drive) and see if that helps. If not you may want to contact Tablo Support.

@lschonder I am curious how you made out. Did the drive become accessible, or did you have to re-format/replace?

We’re confident the Tablo firmware itself would not require the drive to be reformatted (we certainly would have heard or seen this by now). However, this could happen if the drive was damaged previously and had difficulty being remounted post-reboot (which happens at the end of the upgrade process).

That said, this is just a guess - our support team has since reached out to you with some instructions to set up a troubleshooting session to confirm the root cause of the issue.

I saw your e-mail and I’ll take action very soon.

A quick scan of the e-mail looks promising …

Speaking of “No Storage Connected” don’t think I’ve ever seen this message before in 5+ years. It’s a very old recording. And it plays just fine. This is using the Web app with Chrome.

My hard drive died. Tablo made the effort to look at my setup remotely, but to no avail.

Thank you for your help.

That’s odd! I wasn’t so lucky. My hard drive died.

@lschonder That’s a bummer, I’ve had a hard drive fail on me too - not a great situation, but not the end of the world either.

If you have recordings you really want to keep, try Tablo Tools or Tablo Ripper to export the recordings to your PC.

Search the forum to find information about those applications.

1 Like

Thanks. Luckily, I had already pulled a lot off with Tablo Ripper.

1 Like

They couldn’t access your tablo device remotely, but couldn’t and determined your drive was “dead”!?

If the drive is “dead”… how?
Similar issue, “they” say your drive is dead… yet it still works? When I was told that, I connected it to my PC… everything tested OK. Copied everything to another drive - no read errors. Tablo format, copied everything back to drive - no write errors. From my perspective, hard drive failed may be a generic message.

2 Likes

I looked at my drive with a Windows and a Linux machine. Both reported the drive was functional and 2/3 full (which it is), but no file system was accessible.

It seems the drive sector(s) holding the file system info was corrupted. It also seems it was a result of poor coding, and not a drive failure.

Your generic error code theory is likely.

1 Like

:question: Nuvyyo did not code the ext filesystem. It’s been going strong since 1992 now with it’s successor ext4 introduced in 2008… that’s not to say things can’t happen and get screwed up.

Just wondering… if there’s not filesystem, how or what is being reported “full”. The “filesystem” hods the, for lack of better word, record, of what’s stored on the drive. Without a “record” what’s saying it’s 2/3 full? Like why did Nelson have the bowl?

In Ubuntu, the drive properties indicated the drive was 2/3 full (which was true.) Windows Disk Management only indicated it was “healthy”. Neither system listed files or indicated a file count.

Why? I have no idea. I can only call it as I see it.

I understand this is over and done with… “In Ubuntu” is extremely vague and generalized. Ubuntu is the OS, the OS has a package or application which would give you usable information.

gparted would give you specific detail. Even lsblk -fs would provide minimal filesystem and size, used [of mounted filesystems]

If it "knows’ it’s full, then it’s accessible, or it would know there’s anything there.

Thank you. I’ll dig deeper.