Newbie questions-2

Long story short- the cable company has finally gotten me off my duff to cut the cord. I’ve had a Tablo Dual LITE for a couple years but never used it. (I wasn’t ticked off enough at the cable company until now!) I have Rokus on my TVs and am comfortable using them. So here are a couple of questions-

1. Will there be some sort of firmware update when I fire up the Tablo? (again its been in the box for a couple of years- model # is TDNS2B-01-CN)
  2. Being a Dual LITE, if I am recording 2 shows concurrently can I watch a 3rd OTA show while recording 2?
    I’m sure I’ll have other questions. I’d like the Tablo to be a comfortable experience along with an inexpensive streaming service (with no local channels). It will be cheaper than streaming services with local channels & DVR.
    Thanks for any info offered,
    Dave

Regarding the firmware, if it’s a few years old then yes I’d expect a firmware update.

As far as recording, if it’s a Dual and you’re recording two shows, you won’t be able to watch a third Live TV channel. Each show you record or live TV channel you watch consumes a tuner. Now if you’re recording 2 shows and want to watch a 3rd already recorded show that will work.

I started with an OG 2-tuner but finally had to upgrade to a Quad because I was having recording conflicts (shows ending at 8:31, or starting at 8:59).

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I pretty much expected those answers.

Just powering on will probably not cause a firmware update. when the roku connects you should get a firmware update message. Or use the check for updates on the settings page.

And once you scan for channels the guide update might take a while.

You might consider getting a powered splitter (I.e. a distribution amplifier) to watch live TV using the TV tuner if the antenna is feeding both your Tablo and a television.

I just bought this one from channel master last week and it’s working great!

There will definitely be a firmware update. Depending on how long your Tablo has been sitting, you may need to do more than one firmware update as there have been a few gating releases over the years.

Welcome to the community! I found the longer we’ve had the Tablo the less frequently we watch live TV.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.