Newbie Cord Cutter - need advice ... please!

@ChrisWY27 The amp on the sky 60 in the sort peice of white cable with the USB cable attached. I threw that away and got a Winegard HDA-200 distribution amp. I also ended up installing a Winegard LNA-200 preamp at the antenna. I get just a little pixelation on a couple weaker channels when it is raining

I was looking at doing something like this but the pros over at TV fool told me that the preamp was actually built into the MOHU SKY unit at the antenna and the usb just fed it. To install a typical pre-amp they said I would have to switch antennas because with the mohu doing so would mean you essentially had two pre-amps, one in the antenna and on on the mast. They went on to talk about how doing this with the MOHU SKY could result in a worse signal or electrical failure of the antenna. That’s why I was curious if you modified the innards of the MOHU at all to support your amp?

With the stock little USB amp I actually do pretty well. The channels I pickup are 45 miles away with a 2EDGE between us and usually hold up pretty well.