New ueser: brief connection loss at times, slow GUI

… or … the (some) Fire TV app lacks the capabilities to truly support the capabilities. Amazon builds their devices around what Amazon wants to promote no matter how much money and development we throw at ti.
Maybe, just a different perspective.

The amazon UI has a lot of background tasks designed to promote their service and make constant recomendations - even when you don’t want them. These suck the life out of the CPU and memory unless you have the newest model.

I seldom use mine but when I do wake it up the UI takes a long, longtime time to figure out what is happening and display basic thumbnails.

To djk44883 and zippy, unless I’m fundamentally misunderstanding one or both of you (possible …), I can only say again that I tried the Roku app for Fire TV and looked at the GUI for ‘live TV’ on that and it was just much much faster/better than the GUI of the channel guide on the Tablo app on Fire TV.

Hence it doesn’t make sense to me to attribute Tablo slow UI issues to a lack of capabilities that Amazon provides to Fire TV apps, or to lots of extraneous background tasks on the Amazon UI … because those same handicaps would hit the Roku app for Fire TV too.

I don’t mean to be argumentative, just striving for clarity I guess. At this point it’s looking like I’ll ditch my Fire Cubes for Roku and stick with Tablo in that context. While of course “not perfect”, it looks pretty good now on Roku.

One unhappy surprise about Roku is that their remote controls apparantly cannot be used to directly control TV volume control on older soundbars or receivers that don’t support HDMI-ARC. I’m thinking that I’ll add on a device called a “sideclick” to the Roku remotes to resolve that problem (I’m not replacing the soundbar on one TV and the receiver on another for this transition !). The sideclick approach has the benefit that most of the functionality is still performed by the native Roku RF remote, and just volume or controlling other devices is left to the sideclick using IR. It baffles me that Roku doesn’t incorporate basic “learning remote” tech in their remotes, but so be it.

In the world of TV audio/visual, it seems like there’s always another gotcha waiting in the wings !

You’re comparing Live TV streaming from giant corporations presumably via variable rate over a CDN with your tablo, over your local network, transcoding OTA broadcasting? Just to clarify.

…and conclude all things are equal? Despite all the variables a homeowner may have responsibility over. Sure, that doesn’t necessarily make sense, to conclude one is may be better than the other and one is just not trying hard enough.

To be fair, I’m not an engineer nor technician. So I’m not making an expert conclusion. Just would use more than one device comparison to conclude. Understand how things work over how I believe/want things to work.
Generally, many struggle with this. Something doesn’t work how I want it to… or how I think it should and blame the device for it’s shortcomings. I’ve often complained about my aggravations with my tablo’s limitations.

We are perceiving this differently; if I’m not seeing it clearly, then I’m still not understanding you.

Of course we can’t do a truly deep apples-to-apples comparison — I don’t have access to either code base, can’t observe the data transmissions in real time, etc. By such a standard, however, one could rarely compare anything.

In this case I’m looking at two different Fire TV apps, both displaying a TV programming schedule grid for the same time period and same geographic location, and I find that the schedule grid takes much longer to display on the Tablo app. Things like transcoding OTA broadcasting don’t apply — I’m not watching the programming (live or recorded), just observing the speed with which the programming grid populates on the screen between the two apps. Streaming over a variable rate — unless you’re considering the speed of the company’s own servers — which IMO still leaves it as a Tablo issue — it’s also not a bad apples-to-apples comparison. Yes, it’s possible that in one brief test, some other applications could be dragging down my internet speed, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the case here.

Perhaps I’m still just not understanding you. For example, when you say “use more than one device comparison” — the whole point for me here is to compare different Fire TV apps on the same device, doing as close as possible to the same thing, to conclude that the Tablo Fire TV app doesn’t work well in terms of GUI speed.

Which gives me an excuse to ditch part of my Amazon hardware collection and switch to Roku, where it feels like the Tablo app is better implemented, tested, maybe even better supported (?). If I had to guess, it’s a small development (and QA) team that did the Roku app first and spent less resources porting it to other hardware platforms. As more and more streaming devices come out, it’s got to be a bit of a challenge for companies like Tablo to implement, maintain, and support apps on these different platforms. My internet company (Xfinity) is constantly nagging me to add their unwanted streaming device to the mix. Tivo has their own, in fact; just unfortunately not well integrated with their DVRs as far as I can tell. Apple TV, Chromecast, etc etc.

At this point I’m guessing that Roku is the one platform that Nuvvyo is going to be robustly supporting. Possibly because it’s big-corporation neutral? That’s a plus for me anyway, as is the reduced amount of advertising.

I do believe so.

So this unsubstantiated conclusion may be clear in your perception.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and inconveniences. :neutral_face:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.