New Tablo user seeking community feedback

Hey community!

I got a new Samsung Qled for xmas and also cut the cable cord by getting a refurbed Tablo 4tuner and attached a hard drive to it. My internet goes thru a SBG6900-AC DOCSIS® 3.0 Cable Modem & Wi-Fi® Router

The SURFboard® SBG6900-AC is 3 products in 1: a DOCSIS® 3.0 Cable Modem, Dual-Band Concurrent 802.11ac Wi-Fi Access Point and 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Router. With DOCSIS® speeds up to 686 Mbps and Wi-Fi speeds up to 1900 Mbps

I welcome feedback on several things…

1. Is ethernet connection to tablo that much better than wireless
  2. Can I run an ethernet cable from router to tablo approximately 30 feet
  3. Should I use the Samsung interface or attach a 4k Firestick instead
  4. If I ethernet connect tablo can I still wirelessly connect my upstairs tv
    5 Any other tidbits of useful info the community might point out to a Tablo newbie

Sorry if this is too verbose for the fourm, this is my 1st post.

My responses are all yes - see above.

1 Like

My answers would be the same as theuser86 except for

Should I use the Samsung interface or attach a 4k Firestick instead

For that I would just go with your preference. Whichever interface you like better.

1 Like

Tks just to be sure was it yes Samsung not switch to firestick

Sorry - it was use a streaming box like the Roku or Amazon Fire TV.

1 Like

tks @nonparity
i have a firestick wireless upstairs and like it a bit more. Guess I need to slow down and give em more time if it is just a preference difference.
Seems the samsung is more tempermental and sometimes has trouble connecting to tablo app , but never to prime or hulu whereas the firestick has not shown that problem yet… so time will tell

My router and modem are in the living room where a Roku ultra is connected via Ethernet. There is a 45 foot cable run from the router to an 8 port switch in the basement where my almost five year old 2 tuner Tablo is connected along with three other devices. There is also another approx 70 foot cable run to a second Roku ultra at the other end of the basement. My Tablo works without issue at all TV locations (5) including a very early Roku 2 and two old Roku Sticks.

1 Like

SophieCat thanks that certainly reassures me for sure. Two others also confirmed this for me

FYI:. If I correctly recall, Ethernet specs allow for 300’ cable runs.

Point 4 - devices connect via your router, not directly to each other …so indivual connectivity is irreverent (well it may matter for other reasons, but not for basic network function)

I understand the Fire stick is better supported, and likely not currently updated. – but as stated. personal choice. Samsung should be well integrated :man_shrugging: