NEW - Tablo Firmware Release 2.2.32

I am still having problems with recording not playing completely and losing connection, error screens, etc. That’s after formatting my HD on a computer and doing a factory reset. I even tried a different HD. Still having problems. Tablo engineers have a serious problem. I submitted a ticket 3 days ago with no response. Hope they are reading these posts. I am seriously looking for other DVR options after 5 years with Tablo.

Tablo has been closed since Friday so the support ticket getting no response is expected.

The very last thing any one of us having really significant Tablo problems wants or needs to hear is the technically irrational and very dismissive message from someone who says "I’m not having that problem, so what’s all the complaining about? "

Don’t you even slightly understand that software debugging and quality isn’t about getting some users update to work? Properly designed and tested software should work for most if not all users before being released.

Dismissive comments not only do nothing to help solve the problem, but cast needless and unwarranted criticism on those who are adversely affected.

Please consider these words the next time you decide you don’t like what someone has posted. Rather than post your dismissive and critical remarks, why not stop reading negative posts if you are so easily offended?

Finally, regarding your comment that I am not getting very far with this thread, you are again, wrong!

When I started this post, both of my Tablos were effectively bricked. Thanks to helpful people, I am now mostly operational. I have lost recorded content my wife and I wanted to see, and I still have connection issues both when trying to start playback as well as fast forward, but it is 95% fixed.

Thankfully, nearly all the people on this forum are helpful, certainly very well intended, and not snarky, rude, or dismissive.

1 Like

My guess is this needs to be somewhere between “totally STINKS” and “what?”.

IMHO, both extremes are actually bad. Though I certainly understand the frustrations when it’s hard to determine why you can’t have the same good experience with something that others have.

I don’t think the whole “reformat the drive as new” approach is an answer. Simply because most of us have never ever had to do this. But maybe it raises a question of drive incompatibility (?).

I’m hoping that someone from Tablo support is able to log into yours and take a look and maybe get to the bottom of things.

For the moment I have one Tablo at 2.2.30 and one at the new 2.2.32. If there’s something in particular that you think is quite different. I might be able to confirm.

1 Like

It depends heavily upon whether you were the victim or the spectator.

Mel Brooks said it best:

" Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

When both of my Tablos are effectively bricked due to an update supposedly enhancing reliability and performance, it STINKS. It also stinks that the work-around requires losing content and wasting time and not seeing any obvious benefit from the update.

Call it whatever you would like…

And thank you for your kind offer of assistance in comparing pre-and post update firmware. This might prove useful at some point.

Was really just following the tone you set from the beginning, even set the topic to Tracking to be done with it…

This isn’t negative and dismissive, as well as unsubstantiated? you don’t actually know what’s wrong at this point, just decided due to coincidence.

Dismissing tablo as pretty bad for 5 years, but was otherwise happy with it? Was it unstable, and yet enjoyable?

From the start - you know more than tablo developers and have been “complaining” for quite some time. Suggesting it’s what you do, while so many rarely do. Complaining because you’re unhappy, or for entertainment?

Some may view your statements as “technically irrational”. Do these comments do anything to help?

Your topic never had a positive perspective, never really sounded very helpful – everything “they” did was bad. I suggested how they could make it better a long time ago, now look. Type of statements.

Lets not forget, this is a consumer product interned for an average home environment.

Haven’t you even slightly noticed the software/firmware appears to work for most - vast majority have not complained, presuming it’s working for more than not?

Right, from the choice of title and first post, you didn’t even ask for help - you just said everything was bad – setting the tone for the topic.

I waited. How many negative post you made you don’t even acknowledge, as well as dismissing tablo as a whole. But you target mine?

Loosing your recordings?

You may wish to perform a factory reset on Tablo for one of the following reasons:

• You are selling your Tablo DVR
  • You are giving your Tablo DVR to a new owner
  • You have tried absolutely everything else to fix your Tablo (including talking to our amazing Tablo Support representatives).

WARNING:
A factory reset should not be attempted as a troubleshooting step and should only be done as a last resort by someone who knows what they’re doing.

Including Tablo Support!

it goes both ways… now I’m changing this topic to Muted

Adios

Then cutting your finger while you fall into an open sewer and die is a tragic comedy.

1 Like

I’ve had relationships like this.
Don’t knock it.

1 Like

Scheduled manual recordings disappear everytime a channel scan is performed, then “Save & Continue” and then the live guide gets updated (typically happens within a few seconds after saving, I see the guide “Updating now…”). It doesn’t matter if nothing changes in the channel list after the scan.

@ProjectGuy @Aubrey @Richard_and_Diana_Mc @MSR We’ve sent you a PM with some steps to try so that we can take a look, get back to us when you can!

And the obvious question(s) is why is there a need to scan multiple times a week and save the results when nothing has changed.

Another engineer on here would also gladly answer your question. I like experimenting with different placements and orientations of my indoor antenna. Sometimes the signal strength of some channels varies during the day, and I’d like to know that. Typically I get similar channel lists on each scan, and almost always the channels I favorite/watch anyway.

To get back to what I perceive as the real question your asking…I think you are right, that I should stop saving the channels if nothing important has changed, to prevent any manual schedules from disappearing from saving the list again.

Before Firmware 2.2.32, anytime a channel would lose strength or disappear, I would move my indoor antenna for 1/8 of an inch, rescan and save the channels. This doesn’t mess up any of my scheduled recordings since I got my Quad.

After my update to Firmware 2.2.32, I get the same issue as MSR.

Just for the record, I’m updating my other Tablo to 2.2.32.

I’ve had some of the same issues with the 2.3.32 update - buffering (spinning blue circle) and frequent disconnect errors. I tried the following solutions which have helped in the past - blue button - reboot, rebooting router , rebooting and clearing cache/data on my Fire 4K. Also the issues were present on all my android devices and in the web-based app on my PC - so IMHO problem was with the Tablo. Nothing helped.

Then I tried something I usually don’t do. I pulled the power plug from the Tablo 4-Tuner and plugged it back in after a minute to do a cold-restart. This fixed my problems. Your mileage may vary, but simple to try (less intrusive than reformatting your drive).

Report back and let others know if it helped!

3 Likes

I tried the power cycling, and it seems to work for a short while after doing so, but the issue I’m getting (disconnect and unit rebooting) starts happening again within an hour after power cycling. Once it starts happening again it will happen regularly every minute or so after.

Some of my thoughts on why a cold-start helps:

1. Tablo is stuck doing something that needs cold-start to stop.

2. Tablo is overheating - unplugging allows it to cool down -

Since the bottom of a 4-tuner is a metal plate that is used as a heat sink I glued to to some leftover tile strips to add to the heat sink and allow more air flow around the unit.
Before this anything the Tablo was sitting on got quite warm. Redneck engineering at its best!

1. Power Adapter is wonky - try another power adapter.

Sorry for the layman’s language , didn’t want to complicate things with scientific jargon. :slight_smile:

Umm maybe it’s a good idea now to put a heat generating object like the HDD on top of the Tablo? You’re just asking for trouble. Put the HDD somewhere for it passively cool, not touching the Tablo.

I’ve just posted a quick reply to some questions about the 2.2.32 update in this thread: Constant disconnecting after latest firmware update - #21 by TabloSupport and I thought it would be good to share here:

I can confirm that so far, we have not found any new bugs (in the .32 update) that would cause connectivity issues. We are still investigating reports that come in very closely, but so far, most of these issues (as is the case for most firmware updates) are related to either a network problem or a brief connectivity hiccup that can be solved by a reboot.

Our advice is to follow the standard troubleshooting guide seen here: Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues – Tablo

And if you still have issues, to contact our support team either by email or phone: 1-844-TABLOTV (822-5688).

As a quick note: we do not recommend reformatting your drive, or factory resetting your Tablo before contacting our team to take a look. It is certainly possible that a pre-existing hard drive problem could be discovered with some investigation from our team and fixed, but we have no reason to believe drive errors would be caused by a firmware update.

Note: We are still investigating some scheduling issues originally reported by @MSR, and will post updates on this report when we have them.

2 Likes