New Tablo Device Release?

Hi,

I was wondering, as we reach the 1 year anniversary of the release of the first device, whether Tablo has any plans to release the next generation device this spring?  I’m on the fence as I compare different OTA DVR’s and don’t want to invest nearly $300 on the 1st gen Tablo device if the next one is 2 months away.  Any insight is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan -

We will be releasing Tablo METRO which was announced at this year’s CES: https://www.tablotv.com/press/nuvyyo-continues-innovation-ota-technology-ces/

But that’s it for DVR hardware this year so you’ll be safe investing in a current-generation Tablo. 

Thanks for the reply.  I read the CES article and the only significant hardware update appears to be the built in fractional antenna.  Since I have an existing Antenna and amplifier does the new Tablo Metro work with an existing Antenna in case I wish to use what I have already?  If so, how does that work?

Also, are there any specific improvements in the hardware besides the built-in antenna that might help anything like wifi or airplay streaming to an Apple TV for instance?

Many Thanks!

Dan

No problem Dan :) 

Yes, Tablo METRO can use an external antenna as well. When you add an external antenna, the switching logic within Tablo METRO will find the source with the best signal and record/stream live from that. 

Aside from the antenna and switching logic, the rest of Tablo METRO’s ‘guts’ are exactly like the 2-Tuner Tablo. 

Is there an advantage to “Disconnect” the Tablo (from within Settings) after each use?

@Markoman, if you had two or more Tablos, then you would disconnect from one to connect to the other.  If you just have a single Tablo, you really have no use for the disconnect feature.

Using Chrome, if you needed to force a re-sync, you can disconnect, and then click on the red X to delete the Tablo.  Reconnecting to your Tablo will then do a re-sync of all your data.

Thanks, Mr. Snowcat! (My daughter’s in Nashville…tryin’ to make it happen musically)

Sweet.  It’s definitely a good city for that (though I have no musical talent at all).  

Since it finally snowed last week (though mostly it was ice), I updated my avatar with one of my actual cats in snow.  

He looks unimpressed. 

That seems to be the defacto ‘look’ for most cats though.

He looks unimpressed. 

That seems to be the defacto 'look' for most cats though.

Tell me about it…

forget the cats!

I’m with you @PiX64… There’s just something about an animal that will literally dance and jump up and down because you did the amazing feat of walking in the front door.

I’ve never seen a cat do that.

HAHA indeed!

Uh, you don’t know my cats. They are standing in the window and at the door. Pickle is on an oak cabinet that sits next to the door and gives you a kitty-kiss when you walk in. Koko and Tuvok will climb you - well, Tuvok actually jumps onto your shoulder and purrs while asking you to rub the bridge of his nose. Koko does the same. Lucky runs circles around your feet.

I am greeted every day by 5. They know when I’m coming home and start looking out the windows for me. They can tell when one of our vehicles is approaching even before we can see or hear them - and they run to the door to greet us. 
Yawnie follows me around like a puppy. Lucky says “let’s play, papa!”, the Tonks, well, never ignore a Tonkinese if you value your home and body. If they want to play, they will attack you - literally wrapping around your leg and biting at your ankles. If I go from one room to another or from downstairs to up, for example, I typically have 5 followers. 
One lady said that her Tonk would hang up her phone if she came home from work and tried to call and talk with friends before greeting her cat and spending quality time with it. The cat learned that hanging up the phone got attention. The lady soon learned - kitty first, friends later. No, it wasn’t feeding time, it just missed her. Same with mine - they have automatic feeders so it’s not like they are starved for food.
A cat will bond closely if you treat it like family from day 1. A Tonk can have some nervous troubles if it’s taken away from its “person”, that’s the Siamese in them. 
How many have dogs that ride their shoulders, sitting or laying there while you go about the house doing chores, or whatever?