New Tablo APP For Roku, Feedback

To whom it may concern

I started using the new app that was designed for Roku yesterday. I do like it but it has the same problem as the old app. It is just very slow. It downloads channel information (not the top image portion) for the channel/time grid very slow. I am using a Roku 3 for this. Not sure how your dev team is tackling the moving of the channel info from the Tablo to the Roku or if the bottle neck is the Tablo itself trying to grab that information or is the bottle neck sending it to the Roku and having the Roku process the information.

Anyone have an idea where the bottleneck is that causes this slowness?

1. Is your Roku wired or connected via WiFi? I have noticed a lot slower UI on my WiFi Roku 3 vs wired.
  2. If WiFi, is it Wireless G or N? If N then is it 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band?
  3. What is the brand and model number of your router?

It’s slow… make no mistake.  The guide data is populated on the fly every time, so the paints take a bit.  Now… slow can mean many things to many different people… so for some, the delay while going through the guide is perfectly ok.   It’s not slow like minutes, it’s definitely in single digit seconds and even low at that… but in today’s “have to have it NOW” mentality… it will appear to be “slow”.

It’s just the way it works… personally, I think it would be possible for the Tablo unit to cache data in a manner on a regular basis to make presentation fast for the end client especially as they are trying to unify that interface.  But who knows, maybe it already does that and the penalty is just in the painting routine on the Roku (for example).

I’m finding the.new channel noticeably slower on my Roku stick.

Also, the inability to filter recordings in any manner makes it pretty unusable.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but the deletion of scheduled programs seems to be missing…or if we are now to rely on Guide data to cancel scheduled programs, it would be a pain to have to go hunt that item down in the guide to de-schedule it.  Overall I do like the interface.  I just think we need a link at the left menu for “Recordings”.

Yes, the whole “scheduled” tab/link is missing in the new Roku interface.   You can still use any other interface to handle schedules while the Tablo team adds that functionality in a future release.

I seem to be lost! I said yes to the firmware update but my Roku channel appears as nothing has changed. What have i done wrong and can someone please tell me what to do?

I have found an interesting quirk. I use a Harmony Remote for my Roku (and everything else). With the new Roku TabloTV Preview channel, when I push a selection in a direction, it jumps two spaces, regardless of the direction. The Roku remote rhat came with the Roku does not do this.

@gfree

You need to add the Tablo Preview channel - it is a private channel. The old Roku channel will remain in function for the older Roku models.

Use this link to add to your Roku:
https://owner.roku.com/add/tablopreview

@theuser86

Thank you it worked!

You can put me in the I’m happy and I’m disappointed camps.

The good: love the look and feel and like the way we can access recordings. Picture quality in Live TV is much much better.

The Bad: the Live TV guide is stupid slow. Not a great idea to load the guide left to right instead of top to bottom. Recordings only available in alpabetical order is a major step back.

I don’t remember anywhere where we were told that the new totally revamped app would have less features than the old one.

Happy with the direction you are going, pretty disappointed we have not arrived yet.

I don't remember anywhere where we were told that the new totally revamped app would have less features than the old one.

Happy with the direction you are going, pretty disappointed we have not arrived yet.

Tablo has stated for months that the new Roku app would not have feature parity upon the initial roll-out, and that the new and old apps would live side by side until the new app has feature parity with the old. You may not remember it, but they posted on this forum numerous times what to expect with the initial release of the new Roku app.

I have multiple Roku 3 boxes and a hardwired ethernet connection to my 4 tuner Tablo and yesterday I updated everything to the latest firmware.

Suddenly, I am seeing hanging, Roku crashes, and “loading” messages which I have not seen before today.

My wife, who uses a Roku 3 in the laundry area of our basement, turned the system off and said “Tablo has stopped working. Is there anything you can do to fix it?” I rebooted the Roku but this only solved the problem for about half an hour.

This new issue did not involve any use of the new Tablo preview app for the Roku, although it is installed on all of the Roku boxes. Since the original app from Tablo has been running fine for months, I assume this new problem lies either in firmware changes to the Tablo or on the website/servers which Tablo uses at its headquarters to manage client devices. I suppose it is possible that a Roku update occurred which now suddenly causes streaming to abruptly fail, although I am not seeing this other Roku channels.

I have confirmed the same behavior on all 6 of my Roku 3 boxes, with playback of a one hour show typically resulting in at least two hangs/freezes requiring manual rebooting or occasionally an automatic Roku reboot. None of this occurred before yesterday’s update.

Sorry to experience and report this bad news.

Larry

@retiredengineer There was an update through roku on the 6th and since then many of us are also experiencing some similar issues. For me, the crashing only occurs when viewing a recording, more specifically after hitting OK from thumbnail previews. Is this also what you are experiencing or is it happening at other times as well?

See this thread:
http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/2051/roku-rebooting#latest

I haven’t experienced crashes or whatever that I think are related to the new Tablo channel (Ive had issues with my Roku 3 in general for days). The new channel is nice but it is sooooooo slow that I expect complaints from my wife any day now. Then she’ll go back to the old channel and complain about that one.

Sorry but there is just no excuse for the speed on loading the guide. Load the text data first. That should be quick. Hell…skip the images all together. If you cannot manage to load text quickly then something is horribly wrong somewhere. 

@Eves

Is your Roku 3 connected via WiFi? I have noticed a lot slower load times over WiFi vs wired on the Roku 3.
I don't remember anywhere where we were told that the new totally revamped app would have less features than the old one.

Tablo has stated for months that the new Roku app would not have feature parity upon the initial roll-out, and that the new and old apps would live side by side until the new app has feature parity with the old. You may not remember it, but they posted on this forum numerous times what to expect with the initial release of the new Roku app.

Here is the text from the announcement of a new revamped channel:

At launch, the NEW Roku interface will enable you to:

• Browse and set recordings coming in the next 24 hours via the Live TV grid guide
  • Watch live TV (including pause & rewind)
  • Browse and watch recordings (including pause, rewind and fast forward)

Where in there does it say we will lose functionality for things live viewing recordings by date?

Also want to point out that video with a sneak peek on that blog post sets an expectation of what we will get, which does not match what was shipped. 

For any business setting expectations is a major element to a release, better to under promise than to under deliver.

Still love my Tablo and love where the company is going with this, but the building to the new revamped channel was way over hyped for what we ended up receiving.

I have been playing around with the new Roku channel for both live and recorded.  I haven’t had any stuttering, even when rewinding and fast forwarding.  No crashes or lockups either.  However, I haven’t tried it on my wireless Roku yet, just my wired one.

Several missing features have been mentioned already, but one I noticed today is that there is no indication on the live TV grid of which channels are currently being tuned.    It wasn’t even an option with the old Roku interface, but I do hope there will be a way to add it in the future.

So far I am pleased with the updated Roku channel, and I will experiment more with the FireTv channel next.  

Here is the text from the announcement of a new revamped channel:

At launch, the NEW Roku interface will enable you to:

• Browse and set recordings coming in the next 24 hours via the Live TV grid guide
  • Watch live TV (including pause & rewind)
  • Browse and watch recordings (including pause, rewind and fast forward)

Where in there does it say we will lose functionality for things live viewing recordings by date?

The April 7, 2015 press release states: “

When the updated Roku app reaches feature parity with the existing app, the current public channel will be retired in favor of the new interface.” 

The fact that not all existing features were implemented in the new version should not have been a surprise to anyone who took the time to read the release. Tablo handled this well by allowing continued use of the old App until this and other features are fully implemented.Â