New Software Update for Live TV grid renders Device Unusuable

My Tablo is implementing the long waited new live tv grid update.  I can’t say when it started as it began sometime today while no one was watching TV, but when my wife turned on the TV at 6:30 PM DST we could not connect to the Tablo.  That was 3 hours ago and we still cannot use the device.  I can connect to it through the browser but ROKU and IOS app cannot find it and connect.  No software update and scheduling data resynch should render the device useless in this way.  Does Team Tablo have an estimate as to how long this process should take?

Power cycle aka reboot your Tablo please.

Being unable to connect to Tablo might be a router problem.   If a quick press/release of the blue reset doesn’t do anything, then recommend you reboot your router.

I well and truly discount the router.  All other network devices in the home are working fine, Plex server, ROKU, IPADs, PC and laptops, etc all working with the network with no issues. Otherwise I’d agree. Only Tablo is suffering, Tablo reboot had no effect.  Meta data (posters and scheduling data and the like) are slowly loading and being displayed in the browser.  This behavior is reminiscent of the time it took to format the hard drive when I initially setup the Tablo.

My Tablo is implementing the long waited new live tv grid update.  I can't say when it started as it began sometime today while no one was watching TV, but when my wife turned on the TV at 6:30 PM DST we could not connect to the Tablo.  That was 3 hours ago and we still cannot use the device.  I can connect to it through the browser but ROKU and IOS app cannot find it and connect.  No software update and scheduling data resynch should render the device useless in this way.  Does Team Tablo have an estimate as to how long this process should take?

Can I ask why you say that you’re getting the new Roku software with the Live TV Grid view? There have been no announcements that this has been released, and TabloTV said as recently as yesterday it is still planned for end of month. No one else has reported seeing new Roku release either. Are you sure that is the problem?

@midnightjim - sounds like you need to contact TabloSupport on Monday…  I have no idea what you are seeing.

A few questions, in the meantime…
Is your Tablo connected via wifi or Ethernet?  If wifi, are you using 2.4 or 5 GHz?  If using 2.4, can you switch to 5 GHz.  What is your recording quality setting?  Could your disk potentially be having problems??

PS: As for the router…  just because some devices are working fine doesn’t mean the router doesn’t have problems that impact other devices.
  1. I agree with ChrisFix, there is no update yet for Live TV Grid view on the Roku end nor on the Tablo firmware. So I have no idea what you updated. This is confusing to all of us. The most recent Tablo firmware update is .24 and it came out on March 3rd. See the announcement thread in the forum, it has nothing to do with Live TV Grid.

2. Even if other devices work on the router, it does not mean a reboot won’t fix the discovery issue of the Tablo. I’ve seen this with a lot of WiFi devices, I’ve never experienced it with the Tablo luckily.

3. If a reboot of the Tablo AND the router AND the Roku does not fix the issue, then contact Tablo Support on Monday. And yes, please reboot all 3 devices.

4. Last thing that might work as it has helped others is: Delete the Tablo channel from your Roku, reboot it (aka power cycle), then re-install the channel.

Well I managed to confuse myself, the live TV display in the browser app showed the grid, which I had not seen before.  I must have confused that display with the new update.  In any event, I powered the tablo off/on and the problem resolved itself.

@mark in Ottawa
   Tablo is connected via ethernet, recording quality is 720P.  The issue for me is as much as I love the tablo, there is no capability to diagnose problems.  I was receiving a partial connection via the browser and no connection via ios, roku, etc.

Thanks all for your help…

Jim

You said last night a reboot of the Tablo didn’t fix your problem? Did you reboot it a second time and that worked?

As well, this discovery issue can be a networking issue. How about you set up DHCP reservation on your router so the Tablo gets assigned the same Internal IP (basically a Static IP but you’re not configuring it on the device end but rather the router)? This has fixed a similar issue for many users.

@theuser86, Pressing the blue reset button on the back had no effect.  I powered down/up (unplugged/plugged) and the problem cleared.  I set up the reserved IP address and we’ll see how that goes.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I’ve never done a DHCP reservation before.  I always configured static IP  from the device end.

Yeah unfortunately you can’t set a static IP from the Tablo end. Let us know how it goes with the DHCP reservation the router.

Glad your problem is resolved @midnightjim… (love your handle!)