New owner, I can't record without subscription

Get av $50 NP to watch Tablo with instead of Roku. Sine it is known about the Rokubproplems, why does it suggest s Roku instead of a NP? If you already had the Roku, that’s one thing but for someone just starting a NP is cheaper and better device for Tablo.

I’m not familiar with the Tablo’s SDK, but it’s impossible for me to believe that the limitation lies there. The Roku is not tasked with guiding nuclear missiles, it’s just providing the user interface to collect and transfer instructions from the user to the Tablo. We already know that the Roku is capable of providing a suitable UI. It’s just that the developers dropped the ball on building functionality for manual recordings, and many many many other features.

You’re right, the limitation of not being able to create manual recordings is not by design…it’s by POOR design.

But I don’t. I want to love the Tablo. It’s an awesome device with great potential, but it has continuously disappointed me.

No. I’m not afraid that they’re going to take my money and run, but I am afraid that they’re going to continue to disappoint their users. I’ve been looking through this forum and as far back as 2014 there are several features and fixes that Tablo has promised are in the works, but still haven’t come to fruition. I mean, how hard is it to write a conditional (if…then) statement for the long awaited functionality of automatically selecting the most appropriate recording quality. This feature has been “coming soon” since at least August 2014.

What’s that?

The only devices listed on the Tablo home page are:

• Roku
  • AndroidTV
  • AmazonfireTV
  • AppleTV
  • and chromecast

Nexus Player. It is an Android TV box.

1 Like

If all you want is Tablo and whatever Android apps, then Nexus Player is cheapest and best. It doesn’t have the 2000+ channels Roku does I have both and prefer NP for Tablo.

Unbelievable! I scheduled three manual recordings for tonight from my iPad and my Tablo recorded absolutely NOTHING! I went back to the Scheduled window and shows are listed. Each show is scheduled to record once a week, every week, but the Tablo never fails to disappoint.

What’s even more disappointing is that @TabloTV and @TabloSupport were tagged in this thread and never even chimed in to offer advice or support.

1 Like

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I am not familiar with manual recordings, so can’t really speak to that, but the official way to get support from the folks at Tablo HQ is to contact Tablo Support via this link (http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new). The community forums are really for getting help from other users. I am impressed with how much @TabloTV and @TabloSupport are active on these forums.

@PeterH Hi there! Sorry for missing the tag. The best way to get this fixed is to contact our support team directly. Send us a ticket and we’ll get this fixed up for you ASAP.

Sure, if you can get to them during their limited hours. I’m having all these issues mentioned by others on this thread. My subscription ran out and now I can’t schedule recordings. I bought this damned thing because you didn’t need a subscription. Now it turns out, you do.

Without a subscription, you can only schedule manual recordings. Try setting them up on the my.tablotv.com website in the Chrome browser on a computer.

It won’t do it.

Have you tried this?

Setting Manual Recordings on Your Tablo DVR

If you have ever owned a VCR, the method to set a manual recording should be familiar. From within the Scheduled screen, find the plus sign (+) and simply enter the date/time/channel you want to record.

Manual recordings with Tablo can be set for a single airing, or on a repeating schedule.

For those without active TV Guide Data Subscriptions, manual recordings are the only recording option available.

However, they’re also useful for active subscribers who want to set recordings with parameters outside of the norm – like an entire evening of programming in a single video file, or a one-time TV special you don’t want to forget to record that’s airing more than 2 weeks away.

Those with local TV channels re-airing newscasts multiple times a day under the same program name can also benefit from using a recurring manual program to only capture the newscast from a certain time frame each day.

If this doesn’t work, then you need to contact Tablo Support.

When making my decision I came across this blog post, they give a straight forward review good/bad

I’m only presenting it for informative purposes. I haven’t actually spent a period of time with out a guide subscription, but have used manual scheduling.