New Hardware Announced

The extra cost of the mini devices was one reason I didn’t adopt TiVo - and I was a TiVo user from the Series 1 and 2 days. The one device solution that streams to multiple devices without requiring monthly fees or additional proprietary hardware is a reason I went with Tablo.

1 Like

If the Droid would work if plugged into the free USB port on the back of the existing tablo units you might have a product. But the tablo hardware is rather old and probably doesn’t have the memory or CPU power to support that effort. And it would probably cannibalize the existing product line.

I don’t want to get too off topic, but the 5.1 surround support, instant channel tuning, extra recording options, and instant commercial skip are worth the $125 for a mini or two IMO.

That is more of an argument between OG Tablo and TiVo though, instead of TiVo vs the Droid app, which is what my comment was based on, which is more relevant to this thread.

If they ever add the ability to stream to other devices from the Tablo DROID, such as a Roku or Fire TV or Apple TV, they would be golden at the price point. Definitely better than the TiVo. But I don’t know if the Shield can handle transcoding the video for streaming.

Network streaming of MPEG2 video is quite difficult to ensure without everything being hard wired.

Oddly enough, the Shield has some ok transcoding capability. It’s not a horrible CPU for a smallish thing.

1 Like

The Tablo Live antenna anywhere is a wonderful concept. Sign me up for one. Will use it in a friend’s house. The Cloud DVR sounds good but I wonder about pricing. If it is around $70 - $90 a year for a few hundred GB storage and guide data, then it will work.

Interestingly enough, the Plex app for the Shield can run both a Plex Media Server and the Plex DVR feature. This will allow transcoding of recordings to be played back on other devices that do not support the native MPEG2 video and / or AC3 audio. See link below.

@TabloTV

So with the Shield powerful enough to perform the transcoding to support network streaming, any chance of Tablo re-considering this being a feature included in the Tablo DROID? If Plex can do it, I have faith Tablo can as well.

https://www.plex.tv/apps/tvs-consoles/nvidia-shield/

Isn’t this a single tuner and not a quad tuner similar to Elgato TV and Hauppage TV? As for the Cloud DVR its not new and seems similar to what Boxee TV offered until Samsung bought the company and shut it down. I’ve always viewed that media should be streamed anywhere, anytime so having it in the Cloud makes sense. How would moving to the Cloud DVR business model impact those of us with lifetime subscriptions and support for the existing quad tuner model?

Tablo TUNER is 2 tuners, to be used with Tablo DROID software DVR engine.

Tablo LIVE is 1 tuner, to be used with Tablo CLOUD service.

They’re not “moving” to a Cloud DVR model, they’re adding it to their existing product line. No effect on current subscribers.

1 Like

That is smart. Offer more options to users with a solid product from a well known company. It’s a win-win if it’s properly implemented. There has been a lack of MacOS X support with this USB tuner. I assume this will support MacOS X?

Hrm… will also need to consult with the engineers on this one. It will support the web app but I don’t know that particular detail yet.

Still learning all the ins & outs of DROID since it’s a totally new paradigm!

1 Like

Are you going to be doing any beta rounds at all? Avid Android user here and I have a Shield TV which is hopefully getting updated to 7.0 next Monday when the new Shield TV goes live for purchase. I’ve got a supportive nerdy family that would let me run beta software (especially Android apps) if you need to have people try some things out in the wild before it gets pushed to everyone. :slight_smile:

Didn’t see any new information in the beta sign up thread so thought I would ask.

When the time comes we’ll definitely let you guys know!

@TabloTV

Any idea on this?

Thanks!

@theuser86 We don’t want to bite off more than we can chew with this new concept. Once we get DROID rolled out I’m sure we’ll be looking at supporting more devices and adding features.

So when can we expect this updated UI on the current Tablo Android TV app?

If you’re keen on field testing DROID, LIVE TV or TUNER, please send me a PM!

Can I get a virtual antenna to go with my virtual in-the-cloud-storage PVR? Life would be a lot easier if I didn’t have to fiddle with the antenna.

1 Like